Freeze to Liberty

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
User avatar
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 8496
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:41 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Freeze to Liberty

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:26 am

It seems to be an oxymoron for me to say I abhor gossip, as a member of this board, albeit I don't think we do too much of that. So I was very surprised when I read this article. I know nothing about Liberty University other than what is in the news, mostly very conservative, whatever that means, political and religious positions. So when I saw Freeze was going to coach there, I was somewhat surprised as I faintly remember why he left his last position. I like the story where someone finds themselves in an arena that they should not be and makes the correction. Repentance, I suppose. And I like the fact that a group that seemingly would not tolerate that accepts the change, forgives and moves on. I note their Athletic Director has a similar story.

I wondered about all of that. I have always thought that if a person embezzles at a bank, they can change, 'repent' and be forgiven. I have never believed that forgiveness meant that they could be a bank teller again.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25476184/former-ole-miss-coach-hugh-freeze-agrees-deal-liberty-head-coach
"Never let your head hang down. Never give up and sit down and grieve. Find another way. And don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines." - Satchel Paige

Mountainman
Coordinator
Coordinator
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

Re: Freeze to Liberty

Postby Mountainman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:53 pm

I don’t know much of anything about Hugh Freeze, or what actually happened. I do know that article is ambiguous in that it says something happened, but nothing about the phone conversations e,g, what was said or done, with the escort service, but did list some detail about what occurred with the ‘improper benefits to recruits and ther families’.

What was that Spence called some of these guys who write or pontificate stuff on the TV and radio??? And a sexual reference is just the spice they crave to stimulate ears and eyes for clicks and viewers.

So, Ohio State suspends and reinstates a coach the media labeled a ‘sexual abuse enabler’ and Liberty hires a coach who resigned for making phone calls to a whore house and improper recruiting practices.

In both cases, judging by their actions, I suspect both universities know more about what actually happened than the ‘media whore’ does.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 3465
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: Freeze to Liberty

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:18 pm

---
Mountainman wrote:So, Ohio State suspends and reinstates a coach the media labeled a ‘sexual abuse enabler’


I think the term they used was 'Domestic Violence Enabler' ... but, yeah, the media uses selective agenda appropriation.

.
.
.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ... and then it becomes regulation ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for one worthy soul:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy

Mountainman
Coordinator
Coordinator
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

Re: Freeze to Liberty

Postby Mountainman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:36 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:---
Mountainman wrote:So, Ohio State suspends and reinstates a coach the media labeled a ‘sexual abuse enabler’


I think the term they used was 'Domestic Violence Enabler' ... but, yeah, the media uses selective agenda appropriation.

.
.
.



Yep, you’re right about that, thanks for the correction.... just listening to Hugh Freeze on the Finebaum Show about his hire at Liberty.

In a nutshell, He talked about some view things that happened differently, he and his wife worked their way through it and regretted it happened.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

User avatar
Derek
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 5575
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:04 am
Location: Brooks, GA
Contact:

Re: Freeze to Liberty

Postby Derek » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:23 pm

I would have NEVER in a million years expected this.

Even a HINT of truth of what he was accused of I would have thought would have been enough to ensure they wouldn't touch him as Head Coach.

But I hope he does well either way.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

User avatar
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 8496
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:41 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Freeze to Liberty

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:56 pm

Derek...that is what I think and feel.
"Never let your head hang down. Never give up and sit down and grieve. Find another way. And don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines." - Satchel Paige

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 3465
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: Freeze to Liberty

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:08 pm

---

The proverbial saying is, there's nothing new under the sun.

This is the prototypical move if you've kept up with the circus that we know as the off field coaching misconduct debacle.

You do the crime, you do the time ... at a smaller institution ... before going back to the larger bigger paying elite money school.

And of course, if your path towards redemption is severe enough, you go to Tuscaloosa, where you take part in Nick Saban's Still a Coach College Football Community Reformation Program.

To make his road back complete, the media will give him a press conference, talk about second chances and tell us how he has learned from his previous mistakes ... all before he even finishes his first recruiting period.

What I'm glad about, is that he is going someplace that is not Miami.

There has been much talk about Mark Richt having his choice of Offensive Coordinators revoked. A Committee [where have we seen that before] will converse to decide what direction the football program will go in with regards to Offensive Play Calling. Mark Richt is supposedly not going to have a say in who the University hires, nor will he enabled to interfere with on field strategies.

Speculation has pointed figures at potential OC's, with some enthusiastic fans asking for Freeze. However, others [such as myself], did not want the baggage, because the media Loves to pile on Miami for their past. Unlike the second chance angle, the media has a tendency to lay into the Hurricanes program, saying this is common for a problematic program with a past, blah, blah, blah.

Other people have said they [the committee] were looking seriously to go with Kliff Kingsbury [as far back as October]. But they wanted to wait until after the post season to interview, and Kingsbury's took the OC job at USC --- which will make the Trojans very formidable in the next coming season [Kingsbury also has strong ties to Texas High School Athletes].

Anyway, Freeze to Liberty is a basic formality. But nothing so different from Petrino's full circle ride from Arkansas to Western Kentucky to Louisville.

.
.
.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ... and then it becomes regulation ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for one worthy soul:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy

User avatar
Derek
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 5575
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:04 am
Location: Brooks, GA
Contact:

Re: Freeze to Liberty

Postby Derek » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:07 am

.
Last edited by Derek on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

User avatar
Derek
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 5575
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:04 am
Location: Brooks, GA
Contact:

Re: Freeze to Liberty

Postby Derek » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:09 am

.
Last edited by Derek on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

User avatar
Derek
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 5575
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:04 am
Location: Brooks, GA
Contact:

Re: Freeze to Liberty

Postby Derek » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:09 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:
There has been much talk about Mark Richt having his choice of Offensive Coordinators revoked. A Committee [where have we seen that before] will converse to decide what direction the football program will go in with regards to Offensive Play Calling. Mark Richt is supposedly not going to have a say in who the University hires, nor will he enabled to interfere with on field strategies.


Are you serious????

NO WAY, I could not tolerate that as a HC. I'm the captain of the ship, or i'm not. You don't tell me how to sail it. You tell me where to go, and I'll get it there. You don't like that? Take the ship from me. Either let me do the job, or fire me.[/quote][/quote]
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

User avatar
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 8496
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:41 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Freeze to Liberty

Postby donovan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:36 am

If you a Captain of a rudderless ship in a storm-tossed sea, don't look for help from the people that sawed the rudder off.
"Never let your head hang down. Never give up and sit down and grieve. Find another way. And don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines." - Satchel Paige

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 3465
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: Freeze to Liberty

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:16 am

---
Derek wrote:Are you serious????

NO WAY, I could not tolerate that as a HC. I'm the captain of the ship, or i'm not. You don't tell me how to sail it. You tell me where to go, and I'll get it there. You don't like that? Take the ship from me. Either let me do the job, or fire me


Yes, it is serious. Richt's refusal to remove his son John from the QB coach position is causing a massive rift. Richt was Miami's main target for head coach, without question, for two reasons.

1rst -- His success at Georgia is where the University wanted to build to. True, he never seemed to seal the deal in the biggest stages [Conference & National Championships]. But a Coach who could get consistent 9 to 10 win seasons in the SEC would likely excel in the ACC [their thinking, not mine, as you recall I was skeptical of his potential at the U].

2cnd -- As a person with strong ties to South Florida, he could generate excitement to the area, and show the High Schools that the University was sincerely making a change for improvement. Richt would make Florida recruits want to play at Miami. And Richt knew to be successful at Miami, you have to recruit Florida, which the program was severely lacking during Golden's stead.

Right now, after a quasi successful season, the program is regressing. The play calling has become so bad, that the offense can barely get the signal from the sideline comes in so late that the team has to blow a timeout or gets hit with a delay of game penalty in virtually every game, both at the start of the game, and after halftime.

Worse, is how predictable the play calling has become. No motion in the back field, and by the time a play develops, a decent defense is already atop of the ball carrier.

Last year, Miami had a huge early recruiting phase, where, by national signing day, we had already signed 20 players, so signing day was almost a mere formality at that point.

Right now, our recruiting is so dismal, we are listed 37th in some analysis, and we're losing commits without gaining new ones. Miami's biggest need is to recruit the Offensive Line. Currently, we have O recruits for the o-line showing any interest, despite the emphasis by the coaching staff to target solid prospects. In fact, the o-line recruit we have coming for official visits have already previously stated their intent to commit elsewhere.

This is not good. Especially, since the offense we have, is not developing well. I am not sure if it is the inability of the players we have to understand what the coaching staff wants from them. Or, if just maybe, the Coaching Staff is so flawed, that they simply do not know how to develop the players to meet their full skill potential.

In any event here are some articles on the matter.

This one is from back in October:
https://www.stateoftheu.com/2018/10/14/ ... hudzinkski

.
.
.
Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ... and then it becomes regulation ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for one worthy soul:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 3465
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: Freeze to Liberty

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:17 am

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ... and then it becomes regulation ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for one worthy soul:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 3465
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: Freeze to Liberty

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:18 am

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ... and then it becomes regulation ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for one worthy soul:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy

User avatar
Derek
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 5575
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:04 am
Location: Brooks, GA
Contact:

Re: Freeze to Liberty

Postby Derek » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:40 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:---
Derek wrote:Are you serious????

NO WAY, I could not tolerate that as a HC. I'm the captain of the ship, or i'm not. You don't tell me how to sail it. You tell me where to go, and I'll get it there. You don't like that? Take the ship from me. Either let me do the job, or fire me


Yes, it is serious. Richt's refusal to remove his son John from the QB coach position is causing a massive rift. Richt was Miami's main target for head coach, without question, for two reasons.

1rst -- His success at Georgia is where the University wanted to build to. True, he never seemed to seal the deal in the biggest stages [Conference & National Championships]. But a Coach who could get consistent 9 to 10 win seasons in the SEC would likely excel in the ACC [their thinking, not mine, as you recall I was skeptical of his potential at the U].

2cnd -- As a person with strong ties to South Florida, he could generate excitement to the area, and show the High Schools that the University was sincerely making a change for improvement. Richt would make Florida recruits want to play at Miami. And Richt knew to be successful at Miami, you have to recruit Florida, which the program was severely lacking during Golden's stead.

Right now, after a quasi successful season, the program is regressing. The play calling has become so bad, that the offense can barely get the signal from the sideline comes in so late that the team has to blow a timeout or gets hit with a delay of game penalty in virtually every game, both at the start of the game, and after halftime.

Worse, is how predictable the play calling has become. No motion in the back field, and by the time a play develops, a decent defense is already atop of the ball carrier.

Last year, Miami had a huge early recruiting phase, where, by national signing day, we had already signed 20 players, so signing day was almost a mere formality at that point.

Right now, our recruiting is so dismal, we are listed 37th in some analysis, and we're losing commits without gaining new ones. Miami's biggest need is to recruit the Offensive Line. Currently, we have O recruits for the o-line showing any interest, despite the emphasis by the coaching staff to target solid prospects. In fact, the o-line recruit we have coming for official visits have already previously stated their intent to commit elsewhere.

This is not good. Especially, since the offense we have, is not developing well. I am not sure if it is the inability of the players we have to understand what the coaching staff wants from them. Or, if just maybe, the Coaching Staff is so flawed, that they simply do not know how to develop the players to meet their full skill potential.

In any event here are some articles on the matter.

This one is from back in October:
https://www.stateoftheu.com/2018/10/14/ ... hudzinkski

.
.
.



I wonder if the players are just not bought in to Richt.

On a personal note, I got pretty ticked at Richt for cutting my cousin one of the Chaplin's of the Hurricanes for years. He is with Athletes In Action. I was told that it was because they wanted to have someone more "representative" of the team...read that as racial reasons. He didn't tell me this himself, it was other family.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest