Heisman Trophy Anyone???

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Heisman Trophy Anyone???

Postby Mountainman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:15 pm

I always have trouble differentiating between the ‘Most Valuable Player’ and the ‘Most Outstanding Player’.

The Candidates:

Tua Tagovailoa.........Kyler Murray..........Dwayne Haskins

Hell, they’re all good........ and Donovan, “All of them” is not an option. :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Heisman Trophy Anyone???

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:07 pm

I think the most valuable player is Murray. No team is good without their QB, but with that defense, if Murray isn't playing they lose. The most outstanding player. I, of course, pick Haskin's. Tua isn't the most valuable on his team because his team is so solid on both sides of the ball. Alabama can win with an average QB. Tua is above average, but not the most valuable and not the most outstanding. Haskins is a non mobile qb playing behind an average to below average offensive line and a below average defense that doesn't give him the best field position all of the time. With all that, he threw for over 400 yards in several games, Averaged close to 350 yards a game, and 4500 yards on the season. Murray plays behind a good offensive line. All three guys have good receivers. Would I pick Haskins if I were not a Buckeye fan? I don't know. I have seen lots more of him than the other two, but I hope that I would have picked him. Not to take any thing away from Tua, he is very good. I just don't think he is as good as people think he is.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:47 pm

I'm thnking.

It's Murray. He did the most for his team, and he is the brightest...giving up football to go play baseball. Get your head bashed in weekly or play a game when it rains, you stay indoors.
Last edited by donovan on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:51 am

Soooo?

Being most valuable to your team is the criteria?

I buy Murray becaues he has the highest QB Rating...Tua is #2....Haskins is #4

Jake Fromm, at Georgia is #3...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:08 pm

Tua does have a better rating. Haskin's doesn't have the protection that Tua has for sure. I like Fromm too. You really are splitting hairs with all of them, but I have seen Haskin's make some amazing throws. Haskin's has a NFL arm. By the end of the season he learned how to deal with the lack of protection on the right side. Of course, while I have seen all of them play more than once, I have seen Haskin's in person and for every snap he has thrown so I am sure that has something to do with my opinion. I do believe he will be a very good NFL QB. He will go this year, he still has things to learn and won't be ready to take on a starting role next year. When he is ready he will be something.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-dwayne-haskins-silver-football-heisman-nfl-20181207-story.html

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:19 pm

After the way Tua got shut down during the SECCG, I'm gonna go with Murray.

But they will give it to Tua anyways....Casuse Bama and such....
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:30 pm

I know the Heisman isn't about what kind of pro you will be, but in ten years when we look back at these three players, I bet Haskins is the one you still hear about.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:54 pm

The Heisman award is to football what the slide rule is to arithmetic.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:51 am

donovan wrote:The Heisman award is to football what the slide rule is to arithmetic.

I like simple answers to difficult questions...

Teacher..."What do you get when you cut an avocado into 2 X 10 to the 4th pieces?...you may use your slide"

Me...in a quarter second...."guacamole"
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:10 am

Slide-Rules........ Hmmmmm, was it the slide-rule or the trigonometry that told me, “Son, it’s best for you to not pursue this field of study”??? 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:40 am

---

So was it the numbers, eye analysis or the fact that Tua will be back next season for sure, where Murray is more than likely to be playing Major League Baseball next year?

Honestly, I would have ranked them this way:

Murray
Haskins
Tagovailoa

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:18 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:---

So was it the numbers, eye analysis or the fact that Tua will be back next season for sure, where Murray is more than likely to be playing Major League Baseball next year?

Honestly, I would have ranked them this way:

Murray
Haskins
Tagovailoa

The Heisman Selection Committee and the CFP Committee are ‘birds of a feather’. In that they claim some sort of metric or measure, but in the end, it comes down to the personal preferences of the voters........ and that’s OK, as long as neither attempts to play the role of “the wise old man in the room” or sell the notion they’re some type of Oracles. :?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Those guys who decide are pawns of the media that they rely to much on for analysis. That is why very few Heisman guys make it at the next level. Not a requirement, but you would think the most outstanding college player would at least be a decent NFL player.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Spence wrote:Those guys who decide are pawns of the media that they rely to much on for analysis. That is why very few Heisman guys make it at the next level. Not a requirement, but you would think the most outstanding college player would at least be a decent NFL player.

.......different game at the pro level, starting with the hash marks.

On another note, if you watched the Heisman Show last night, did you notice the size of Haskins’ hands??? They’re HUGE, or certainly appeared that way on TV. :shock:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:10 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:Those guys who decide are pawns of the media that they rely to much on for analysis. That is why very few Heisman guys make it at the next level. Not a requirement, but you would think the most outstanding college player would at least be a decent NFL player.

.......different game at the pro level, starting with the hash marks.

On another note, if you watched the Heisman Show last night, did you notice the size of Haskins’ hands??? They’re HUGE, or certainly appeared that way on TV. :shock:

It is a different game. The players position by position are lots better so things that work in college do not work in the NFL, but still the winner should be a decent NFL player. Maybe not the best, but decent. And while Tua may end a pretty good pro, no way a 5'9" QB makes it in the league. Murray is a fantastic athlete. Reminds me of Troy Smith. But I don't believe he is the best player at his position in college football.

Return to “General Discussion”