Anybody See Where.....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Anybody See Where.....

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:41 pm

billybud wrote:And why not talk Bama?

After all, Bama has had the top recruiting class in 8 of last 9 years.

I don't mind the networks talking real early, unless it is mindless talking.

If the talking heads have an idea of who has what coming back, etc.

Now, just mindless babble, I turn off.

Nothing wrong with Alabama. I am going to a game next year with a buddy of mine from Birmingham. I took him to a Buckeye game a few years ago. I'm not big on the way the system works, but I don't blame a school for taking full advantage on what is in front of them. They have been the best team in CFB the last 10 years. That is no small thing.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:19 am

LOL...and here we have thought down south, for years, that it was the Buckeyes taking advantage....the use of tradition and being an "old school" program like the Irish, going back to the days of Grantland Rice and the Four Horsemen.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:23 am

When I sat in the Shoe at Columbus close to 40 years ago, the announcer thought we were the University of Florida and many fans did not have a clue...nice bunch...but clueless about a program out of their region.

So....through most of the game we chanted..."go to hell, Gators, go to hell".
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:29 pm

billybud wrote:When I sat in the Shoe at Columbus close to 40 years ago, the announcer thought we were the University of Florida and many fans did not have a clue...nice bunch...but clueless about a program out of their region.

So....through most of the game we chanted..."go to hell, Gators, go to hell".

Having been to several college football games out of the region and getting to meet many fans from other teams I found that most don't know a lot about teams outside their region. Buckeye fans being no exception.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:24 pm

1996 to 2000 had to opportunity to see a lot of out of area games. Tickets were always in a designated section where parents, etc were seated with opposing teams parents, etc. Though at first, the thought was, How is this going to work? it was quickly quelled. Met some wonderful people and everybody would tell you when your kid was in or out, kind of watched out for everyone. (A common denominator was "it's our kids against the schools. Everyone had a story to tell about how crazy the process was.) Everybody wanted their team to win, but never one unkind word and no smack.

Boise player Lousiana Tech, home and away, The parents came to Boise and was colder than a mother's in law kiss. Louisiana Tech fans were miserable, never been so cold. When we went to Ruston LA is was so humid and hot. Our friends we had met were there and they think the won the payback. I think so too.

On a side note, why was Boise playing Louisiana Tech...because in those days getting games that might help you get ranked were hard to get and you got what you could. And the Bulldogs were a good team and had some history. Terry Bradshaw and Karl Malone played there.

Good days for us. But today and tomorrow are better. Bigger family and watching memories made are better than the faded ones of the past.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:43 pm

Very True. I find that on the holidays our memories are the kids family history lessons. My kids never met my Dad. They only know what they hear at family get togethers.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:31 pm

My boy never met his paternal grandpa nor his maternal grandparents.....I'm glad that we have some pictures....Since he was only 5 when my mom died...his memory of her is fairly limited.

We tell the family stories because every family must have their own mythology...and we have had to build our wn traditions.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:43 am

billybud wrote:My boy never met his paternal grandpa nor his maternal grandparents.....I'm glad that we have some pictures....Since he was only 5 when my mom died...his memory of her is fairly limited.

We tell the family stories because every family must have their own mythology...and we have had to build our wn traditions.

I think that after years of hearing the stories they feel like they knew them to a point. We have started our own traditions too, I think you do that out of necessity. My dad never left the house on Christmas. He loved Christmas but he wanted it to be just us. We went to our grand parents homes the weekend before. I would rather do that myself, but my wife is from a big family on both sides so we go to her Mom's family Christmas on Christmas eve and her Dad's family Christmas on the evening of Christmas. We spend Christmas morning with just us. My mom used to come to that and we made breakfast before the kids opened their gifts. The breakfast has become a tradition with us. The kids look forward to it as much as they do opening their gifts.

Return to “General Discussion”