Anybody See Where.....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Anybody See Where.....

Postby Mountainman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:11 am

........Tim Brando and Kirk Herbstreit were sounding off today about the failings of the CFP Committee???

They didn’t say one darn thing that hasn’t been said on this board....... Jolly Good Show, Mates!!!!!
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Anybody See Where.....

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:44 am

There job is to create controversy. We do it for free. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:45 am

I saw Herbstreit's comments on Paul Finebaum's show and will focus only on my homerism in this post.

A few random musings (channeling Donovan here)

1. Georgia is the 2nd, or maybe even best team in the country
2. They lost the CCG and did not deserve to go to the playoffs IMO
3. The goal post is constantly being moved in terms of criteria for selection
4. Last year the cry was "Let's put Bama in because they are one of the 4 best teams in the country"....without winning their division much less the SEC.
5. This year (because of political pressures to put ND and another conference in) it was "well they have 2 losses" and "didn't win their conference"

They try to please everyone, and in the end, please no one. Just like politicians.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:37 am

At the end of the day a tournament of champions is the only thing that makes sense. You get rid of the committee's, the computers, and everything else and put all conference champs in a tournament and play them off. Forget about the "most deserving" conversation, every team has a clear path in and a clear path to win it. You can use committees or computers to seed it if you need to use them for something. That will not get you a tournament with the 8,10, or 11 best teams, but it will get you an absolutely fair system for creating a path for every single team to make it in the tournament and become champ if they play enough. If you want to consolidate the conferences, you can do that. Just get rid of the subjectivity and let the chips fall where they may.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:19 am

Spence wrote:At the end of the day a tournament of champions is the only thing that makes sense. You get rid of the committee's, the computers, and everything else and put all conference champs in a tournament and play them off. Forget about the "most deserving" conversation, every team has a clear path in and a clear path to win it. You can use committees or computers to seed it if you need to use them for something. That will not get you a tournament with the 8,10, or 11 best teams, but it will get you an absolutely fair system for creating a path for every single team to make it in the tournament and become champ if they play enough. If you want to consolidate the conferences, you can do that. Just get rid of the subjectivity and let the chips fall where they may.

Agreed...... my doodling around with this approach shows a 12 team bracket. Now the task is how to Crown a Champion within a maximum of 15 games.

Being mindful of the players, the TV guys a.k.a. money-guys, the fans and viewers (somewhat enlightening is that viewership of college football is down, TV guys ain’t happy).

Have at it gentlemen...... collectively this board can Gitter’ Done. And if you think that’s BS, just remember that this Board, collectively, has been ahead of the curve in identifying issues with this CFP approach when it comes to the promise versus the performance. It didn’t take them long to become political body e.g. who decides who deserves.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:16 pm

They can't help to be political. When they hear every week, over and over, that this team doesn't belong, and this team should just be given a trophy and forget playing a game. Then you have the local media pumping up the local team creating discord. I hadn't heard that over all viewership is down, but that doesn't surprise me. How can you ask fans of 100 teams to get on board with their teams when only 15-20 teams are the only ones who really have a chance to win it. Even then the system seems now seems to reward bad schedules by those 15-20, while punishing the rest for the same exact reason. If you want the viewership to go up, then create a system that let the whole 120+ teams really have a path to win or go back to the old way - everyone try like crazy to win their conference and go to an exhibition bowl have fun and go home. If some outside element wants to say your the best and give you a trophy then cool. If not complain the whole off season how if we only got the chance to prove ourselves we would wipe the floor with that high and mighty team everyone deems so great.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:03 pm

I got that viewership info from Paul Finebaum. Decided to watch his show yesterday just to see if he backtracked on any of the nasty stuff he had to say about Urban Meyer when the Zack & Courtney Smith stuff broke. I also read Dennis Dodd’s article yesterday for the same reasons........ both appeared to me to be particularly brutal and willing to crusify Meyer early on and well before any investigation into what actually happened. At this point, both have convinced me their ‘Ire With Meyer’ (that’s a good one right there :wink: ) was their personal dislike for the man, thus their credibility, thoughts and opinions going forward about things that matter are just tossed in the pile.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Mountainman wrote:I got that viewership info from Paul Finebaum. Decided to watch his show yesterday just to see if he backtracked on any of the nasty stuff he had to say about Urban Meyer when the Zack & Courtney Smith stuff broke. I also read Dennis Dodd’s article yesterday for the same reasons........ both appeared to me to be particularly brutal and willing to crusify Meyer early on and well before any investigation into what actually happened. At this point, both have convinced me their ‘Ire With Meyer’ (that’s a good one right there :wink: ) was their personal dislike for the man, thus their credibility, thoughts and opinions going forward about things that matter are just tossed in the pile.

I don't know that they dislike him. I think they are just media whores who know how to get mileage out of a story. At the end of the day Meyer didn't handle that situation very well. I still believe, though, that you are not responsible for things your employee does outside of work. The school did have a policy and he followed it to the letter of the law, but obviously not with regard to the spirit of it. I don't think he believed her or he looked the other way because of Earle Bruce. Either way he should have known better regardless.

As far as this decision or whether he will coach again, I don't know. I'm not sure he knows. His wife and family has absolutely do not what him to coach again, they have said as much publicly. There are rumblings that the school will make him part of the athletic department, but I'm sure that isn't settled yet or they would have announced it. It just seems to me that It would be hard for Ryan Day to be looking over his shoulder at Urban Meyer.

Day, at least, talks the talk. He said yesterday that he learn real early that you must beat your rival every year and then win every other game. He is right for sure. I don't know if he really believes it, but wait until he loses his first game, he will then. :lol:

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:45 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:I got that viewership info from Paul Finebaum. Decided to watch his show yesterday just to see if he backtracked on any of the nasty stuff he had to say about Urban Meyer when the Zack & Courtney Smith stuff broke. I also read Dennis Dodd’s article yesterday for the same reasons........ both appeared to me to be particularly brutal and willing to crusify Meyer early on and well before any investigation into what actually happened. At this point, both have convinced me their ‘Ire With Meyer’ (that’s a good one right there :wink: ) was their personal dislike for the man, thus their credibility, thoughts and opinions going forward about things that matter are just tossed in the pile.

I don't know that they dislike him. I think they are just media whores who know how to get mileage out of a story. At the end of the day Meyer didn't handle that situation very well. I still believe, though, that you are not responsible for things your employee does outside of work. The school did have a policy and he followed it to the letter of the law, but obviously not with regard to the spirit of it. I don't think he believed her or he looked the other way because of Earle Bruce. Either way he should have known better regardless.

As far as this decision or whether he will coach again, I don't know. I'm not sure he knows. His wife and family has absolutely do not what him to coach again, they have said as much publicly. There are rumblings that the school will make him part of the athletic department, but I'm sure that isn't settled yet or they would have announced it. It just seems to me that It would be hard for Ryan Day to be looking over his shoulder at Urban Meyer.

Day, at least, talks the talk. He said yesterday that he learn real early that you must beat your rival every year and then win every other game. He is right for sure. I don't know if he really believes it, but wait until he loses his first game, he will then. :lol:

I just gotta ask myself just what kind of a person would exploit another person who has been falsely labeled as an enabler of spousal abuse........ maybe you’ve answered it for me when you mentioned “media whores”.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:48 pm

True right and wrong is without regard to social, political, theological or economic consequences. Truth is without guile.

If we cannot go back to what worked for years, geographical and conference football then have a system that, as Spence says, has a clear path to the championship. Kent State is equal to Alabama at the starting gate. If you don't like that, then don't enter teams from the MAC. Right now on the West Coast, save the gamblers, the only game getting any early morning coffee conversation is Washington v Ohio State.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:49 pm

That is exactly right Donovan. I don’t like the “at large” model. Someone has to pick at larges. Any sport I have ever played had some kind of carrot at the end. If i did my part I could win. While winning was not the reason I played it was the reason I worked to get better. It was what drove me to compete. I got some wins and lots more times I didn’t, but I had a chance. That is all that anyone can ask for - a chance. It would solve a ton of problems, but it would take away the controversy that drives the sports media.

The Rose Bowl will be very competitive. Washington has a defense and a running game. Two things that make Ohio State worry. I would rather play Oklahoma.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:42 am

Archimedes, is that you??? A National Tournament that would determine the National Champion???

Tell me the truth, were you taking a bath when this epiphany was realized??? What was the first thing you said when it hit you???

.......and that other guy, and his counterculture notion of having to earn one’s place onto the a bracket line. What kind of thinking is that??? He’s probably just pissed because his favorite team is required to play 9 conference opponents, is not allowed to play FCS opponents in the remaining 3 games, won their Conference Title Game, ended the regular season 12-1, and ended-up ranked SIXTH, behind a TWO LOSS TEAM.

HA,HA,HA..... dummy, should have played The Citadel.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:23 am

Mountainman wrote:Archimedes, is that you??? A National Tournament that would determine the National Champion???

Tell me the truth, were you taking a bath when this epiphany was realized??? What was the first thing you said when it hit you???

.......and that other guy, and his counterculture notion of having to earn one’s place onto the a bracket line. What kind of thinking is that??? He’s probably just pissed because his favorite team is required to play 9 conference opponents, is not allowed to play FCS opponents in the remaining 3 games, won their Conference Title Game, ended the regular season 12-1, and ended-up ranked SIXTH, behind a TWO LOSS TEAM.

HA,HA,HA..... dummy, should have played The Citadel.

For some that could be a daily experience for others, maybe only on a Saturday night and for others...running for their dictionary.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:18 pm

I don't think even Archimedes would be able to solve this with the information available. The scheduling problem is something that can't be made fair without making it a logistical nightmare, and then there is the problem of the big schools trying to feed the beast to keep up with the Jones'. That is why the conference champ thing works. It may not be completely fair based on the teams you have to beat being better than teams that another conference has to beat, but it does provide a clear path for every team. Some of the paths have more potholes than the others, but that is life. This current system is more than fair to Ohio State. If they beat Purdue or even lost by 7, they would probably be playing in the tournament. Ohio State is in the category of the "haves". Which means they usually get the benefit of the doubt. A lot of other teams, even teams from power 5 conferences aren't on a level playing field as far as this committee is concerned. If Purdue played in the east with the same players and scores as Ohio State only no losses the committee would put Georgia and Oklahoma in the playoff in front of them. That is what I believe is wrong with the committee. Any even selecting at larges is beyond their ability.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:37 pm

I agree. The basic problem with a National Football Championship and why it is an exercise in futility to even try is based on physicality. You can not play more than one football game a week. And then the overall season becomes so long there is no time long-term healing, which is necessary. Other sports, baseball, basketball, golf, etc can be played daily and with few exceptions, there is not a lot of physical harm, just get enough rest.

If you were to have a true National Championship the season would go on for another two months. Though I am not sure anyone cares, these kids are still students and cannot miss class all year round. During the season they take fairly light loads, and that is the ones that care about education which is not all of them.

So, in my opinion, it will always be flawed and with that in mind, why do it at all.

The other part is fans get tired when it goes on too long. Winter, go inside and watch basketball, Spring, go to the park and watch baseball.

Return to “General Discussion”