Anybody See Where.....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Anybody See Where.....

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:16 am

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Didn’t know Clemson played an FCS School....... geeeeez, appears that the #1 and #2 highest ranked teams in the CFP got some time-off during the season.

Kinda reminds me of back in the day when the Romans scheduled the Lions against the Christians....... :roll:

They are just using the Notre Dame model and then telling everyone how tough their schedule they play while having a couple weeks to get ready for every tough game. Big cushions in between. It works.

Like I said about knowing which end of the cow is which...... fix the regular season scheduling and the “Playoff” at the other end will take care of itself.

Yep, but there is no appetite for that I'm afraid.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:18 am

billybud wrote:Cane...

The regular season does have the utmost impact on who is national champion..it is foolish to pretend otherwise
...Lose two games in season and you have eliminated yourself. The elimination process is quick and brutal...especially compared to basketball. Lose one game, like Ohio State and you can be out.

We can all pretend that football is like basketball where the regular season is only incidentally important for making the playoff...for the ACC, with 9 teams making the NCAA cut...the regular season has nothing like the weight of a 12 game football season.

If it were a Tournament from day one, or after two losses as you say, then it would no longer be of value to play further. But we know that is not the guise.

Don't kid yourself. The Playoff from day one argument may have worked during the BCS days. But that nonsense doesn't hold its weight in the new structure.

Now, it's you're out cause I said so. And there simply is no way to change your status, unless we allow it to happen. You had better play a tougher schedule if you want into the club ... but, you're going to increase the strength of your schedule on our terms --- No? --- Okay, then be satisfied with the New Year's Six game we have selected for you, or sit out. We don't care which.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:18 am

billybud wrote:Cane...

The regular season does have the utmost impact on who is national champion..it is foolish to pretend otherwise...Lose two games in season and you have eliminated yourself. The elimination process is quick and brutal...especially compared to basketball. Lose one game, like Ohio State and you can be out.

We can all pretend that football is like basketball where the regular season is only incidentally important for making the playoff...for the ACC, with 9 teams making the NCAA cut...the regular season has nothing like the weight of a 12 game football season.

Not even Ohio State can get blown out of the stadium against Purdue and overcome it to go to a playoff. If Ohio State had made it you could bet that something dishonest was going on.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:26 am

billybud wrote:
Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Didn’t know Clemson played an FCS School....... geeeeez, appears that the #1 and #2 highest ranked teams in the CFP got some time-off during the season.

Kinda reminds me of back in the day when the Romans scheduled the Lions against the Christians....... :roll:

They are just using the Notre Dame model and then telling everyone how tough their schedule they play while having a couple weeks to get ready for every tough game. Big cushions in between. It works.

Yeah..I know...Clemson also had a lay in game against Ohio State (31-0) in the playoff...so sometimes you get an easy game and a rest.

Sure, like in 2015
Oregon 59 f- FSU 20
Ohio State 42 - Oregon 20

Sometimes you get to coast the whole way.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:41 am

billybud wrote:
Spence wrote:

Yeah..I know...Clemson also had a lay in game against Ohio State (31-0) in the playoff...so sometimes you get an easy game and a rest.

That is correct. The same as Notre Dame this year getting a layup before having to play Syracuse and USC.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:41 am

Like we have posted...there will always be easier games.

The tough games are those where a team matches up with you well.

Like no matter the ultimate season records...FSU-Miami is usually not a cake walk for either team to pull down.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:04 am

I agree with that. It has always been about individual matchups.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:56 am

Spence wrote:I agree with that. It has always been about individual matchups.

Which is why rivalry week, which has been marginalized by the craze of a National Championship, was always a crapshoot bet, regardless of season records. Was my favorite day, but sadly some of the great rivalries fell by the wayside because they would not improve the fictional, wizard of oz, make believe, pseudoscience, but revered by those that genuflect at the altar of sanctimony, SOS. The Sanctimony of Schedule. I like it.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:16 am

---

Now there's a point ... Look at Missouri/Nebraska.

104 meetings, dating back to 1892.

Missouri left the Big XII for the SEC
Nebraska left the Big XII for the Big 10

Had they stayed in the Big XII, the security of the conference would have been sound. And both of these teams would have had an easier path to a National Title.

They have both struggled severely in their respective new conference affiliations.

The schools were promised a larger share of revenue by signing away their dignity. Conference Television network dispersal and newer recruiting avenues into territories outside of their general region.

However, if you aren't winning at a high percentage, and nationally ranked, the Networks are going to pass on you for a higher ratings match up.

And, if the games you are going to appear in nationally are because the record & rank of your opponent, with the likelihood of your losing, that is going to adversely affect your recruiting potential.

Now, for these schools, they did it to themselves. Neither of their programs were exactly ready to breakthrough the Power Rankings barrier when the offer presented itself. But, what was the bill of goods laid on the table with that contract before it got inked?

Their egos were being catered to. They were being told the merit of their names were strong enough to carry over.

However, recruits from the Traditionally Regional locals are more heavy leaning toward the Schools they new of growing up. You may not be competing for talent with the likes of the Texas & Oklahoma machines; though things aren't any easier.

Nebraska went from Competing for players, as a Northern Conference front runner, against Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas State, to Competing as an Outsider against Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State.

Missouri went from Competing for players, as a Northern Conference 1rst through 3rd level team, against Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Kansas State, to Competing as an Outsider against Texas A&M, LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and South Carolina.

The cards were already stacked against them.

In the end, the only incentive they receive is monetary. Shared Conference earnings from TV contracts & Post Season divisions.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:16 am

donovan wrote:

Which is why rivalry week, which has been marginalized by the craze of a National Championship, was always a crapshoot bet, regardless of season records. Was my favorite day, but sadly some of the great rivalries fell by the wayside because they would not improve the fictional, wizard of oz, make believe, pseudoscience, but revered by those that genuflect at the altar of sanctimony, SOS. The Sanctimony of Schedule. I like it.

Which is why as a Buckeye, I would rather beat Michigan and win the Big ten than win the national championship. Most people I know feel the same way. Always have. Ohio State got hot at the end of the year a few years ago and won the playoff. It was cool to do that, but beating the skunk bears to get there, with a back up QB and win the bragging rights for another was the best part. What ever I happen to be doing, where ever I happen to be, I make sure that I am somewhere to see that game. I can't imagine ever missing it.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:57 am

Spence wrote:
donovan wrote:

Which is why as a Buckeye, I would rather beat Michigan and win the Big ten than win the national championship. Most people I know feel the same way. Always have. Ohio State got hot at the end of the year a few years ago and won the playoff. It was cool to do that, but beating the skunk bears to get there, with a back up QB and win the bragging rights for another was the best part. What ever I happen to be doing, where ever I happen to be, I make sure that I am somewhere to see that game. I can't imagine ever missing it.

Maybe “The Powers That Be” in College Football can come up with a way to do both..... have a challenging regular season and a playoff that makes sense.

Although if we put our hopes on that bunch based on their past behaviors and judgements, it’s doubtful........ hell , ESPN was touting and advertising the College Football Playoff before the regular season even began. :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:59 pm

---

And will be talking about who we should expect to see in next year's playoff on game day final, 5 minutes after they hand this season's trophy to either Saban or Swinney.

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:52 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:---

And will be talking about who we should expect to see in next year's playoff on game day final, 5 minutes after they hand this season's trophy to either Saban or Swinney.

Ha,ha,ha........ past behavior. :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:09 pm

And why not talk Bama?

After all, Bama has had the top recruiting class in 8 of last 9 years.

I don't mind the networks talking real early, unless it is mindless talking.

If the talking heads have an idea of who has what coming back, etc.

Now, just mindless babble, I turn off.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:25 pm

billybud wrote:And why not talk Bama?

After all, Bama has had the top recruiting class in 8 of last 9 years.

I don't mind the networks talking real early, unless it is mindless talking.

If the talking heads have an idea of who has what coming back, etc.

Now, just mindless babble, I turn off.

I live on, practice and promote mindless babble.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “General Discussion”