Anybody See Where.....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Anybody See Where.....

Postby donovan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:32 am

Schedules are made years in advance. SOS is determined after the fact. Talk about a crap shoot. And that system is defended by normally rational people that are so obsessed to have a National Championship. CPT 90834
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:50 am

.........and thus the outcry from all segments of College Football. 8)

Alabama’s Nick Saban does not blame star players for not participating in bowl games in order to prep for the NFL. He cites the College Football Playoff as a main reason for their decision.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:25 pm

I think Saban is right about the playoff being the reason players in other bowl games decide not to play. I said a long time ago that the bowls would become obsolete. I didn't see it for this reason. I thought the ratings would just be so bad that the networks would get rid of them, but while the ratings are not great the networks are still supporting them. The players, though, don't see a reason to risk injury in the game that doesn't mean anything unless they feel they have something to prove. Can't blame the players, they get nothing for playing. The schools better wake up to what is going on because long term this will have a direct impact on their wallets.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:55 am

Donovan!!!! Did you put this guy up to this??? :wink:

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... te-georgia
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:15 pm

I wished I had, but spot on. Over the last 12 or 13 years, this board has discussed this so much. I suspect the division is about 50/50 as to regional ball versus a national program. The article is right on one point for sure. Nobody watches football and says, this would be better if we brought in more money.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:06 pm

This guy is late to our party, but early on the national scene. The bowls are going to go away. Sooner than we think. You have guys deciding not to play in the bowls games because the game they play in is meaningless. West Virginia's Grier isn't playing. It hasn't been announced yet, but my guess is that Dre Mont Jones from Ohio State won't play for Ohio State. And when you get right down to it, why would they play. They aren't playing in a game that can help their team. No matter what they do, that top position is unattainable for their team. It may have been that way according to national opinion under the old system too, but the appearance that if they had a good showing in the bowl they could win was enough to hold these guys in the game. That is gone now and so is their reason for putting on that college uniform one more day.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:37 pm

The game that they play in, bowl or play off, really doesn't matter.

The elite athletes who have a pro contract locked up, and college is behind them, would be foolish to risk millions in future earnings by having a serious injury in a last college game....

Guys that opt out of an extra game are becoming increasingly more common...they are getting good advice IMHO.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:47 pm

billybud wrote:The game that they play in, bowl or play off, really doesn't matter.

The elite athletes who have a pro contract locked up, and college is behind them, would be foolish to risk millions in future earnings by having a serious injury in a last college game....

Guys that opt out of an extra game are becoming increasingly more common...they are getting good advice IMHO.

I agree, only I think that the chance to win the national championship would play a part in their decision. Playing in a bowl game that is purely an exhibition is a no brainer, unfortunately for those of us who like CFB.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Spence wrote:
billybud wrote:The game that they play in, bowl or play off, really doesn't matter.

I agree, only I think that the chance to win the national championship would play a part in their decision. Playing in a bowl game that is purely an exhibition is a no brainer, unfortunately for those of us who like CFB.

Yep, considering what’s at stake and what’s the risk for some of these guys, this decision of whether to play or not to play should be made with the head and not the heart.

As for Will Greer, I would support his decision either way, but considering there’s a 6 foot 5 inch, 330-340 pound LEFT tackle, who’s been ranked as the 3rd best offensive lineman in the nation, that’s been protecting Greer’s blind side for two seasons and that’s not going to play due to a banged-up knee....... I’d be supporting an idiot.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/12/8/18 ... the-future

In any event, I’m looking forward to see how Jack Allison, next season’s projected starting quarterback, looks going into the off-season....... he’s a pocket passer, 6 ft 6 inches tall, can sling it, don’t know how accurately, and can’t run worth a darn. We’ll see. 8)

Btw, just saw where this evening the Football Writers Association of America named Yodney Cajuste (see above mentioned left tackle) as a second team All American.
Last edited by Mountainman on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:06 pm

And at the end of the day taking all the snaps with the ones will be invaluable for next season. I think Grier could improve his draft stock if he played, if he didn't get hurt, but he has a lot on tape and so I'm not sure that one game is going to draw that much attention. Still, why I completely understand the decision and would advise kids to do exactly what he did in that situation, I always want the bowl game to be the last taste of college football for them.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:56 am

Spence wrote:And at the end of the day taking all the snaps with the ones will be invaluable for next season. I think Grier could improve his draft stock if he played, if he didn't get hurt, but he has a lot on tape and so I'm not sure that one game is going to draw that much attention. Still, why I completely understand the decision and would advise kids to do exactly what he did in that situation, I always want the bowl game to be the last taste of college football for them.

Yet, Greer, Cajuste, David Sills and Trevon Westco and have accepted invitations to play in the Senior Bowl......... the world has changed, and has dragged College Football, as well as most everything else, right along with it.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:16 am

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:And at the end of the day taking all the snaps with the ones will be invaluable for next season. I think Grier could improve his draft stock if he played, if he didn't get hurt, but he has a lot on tape and so I'm not sure that one game is going to draw that much attention. Still, why I completely understand the decision and would advise kids to do exactly what he did in that situation, I always want the bowl game to be the last taste of college football for them.

Yet, Greer, Cajuste, David Sills and Trevon Westco and have accepted invitations to play in the Senior Bowl......... the world has changed, and has dragged College Football, as well as most everything else, right along with it.

The Senior Bowl rules are a little different and it is kind of a game speed try out, but you are right.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:40 pm

donovan wrote:I wished I had, but spot on. Over the last 12 or 13 years, this board has discussed this so much. I suspect the division is about 50/50 as to regional ball versus a national program. The article is right on one point for sure. Nobody watches football and says, this would be better if we brought in more money.

Understood...... and during my recent amateurish, inept and sanctimonious effort to unravel the current structure and direction of College Football in order to develop a more definable and efficient way of selecting the participants using an ‘on the field’ determination of a ‘National Champion’ I have concluded....... either the brilliance or the stupidity or somewhere in between, of the money-changers, profiteers and those who govern College Football has created a structure and environment that such effort, without their commitment to a massive restructuring, is futile in that either an unequal number of games or subjectivity would be unavoidable.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:52 pm

I have always been comfortable with baseball calling it the World Series. What I am not comfortable with is that dang designated hitter rule. Get rid of it. The purpose it was established for never worked and is certainly not working now. I love the American League except for that one loathsome, detestable, hateful, odious, obnoxious, despicable, contemptible, and darn rule. I think I may have digressed just a little.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:55 pm

Jeez guys...has "Donovan speak" become the lingua franca of this board ?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Return to “General Discussion”