Will Somebody Please Explain To Me........

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Will Somebody Please Explain To Me........

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:10 am

........ just how and why the Georgia Coaching Staff decided to run a fake punt at the 50 yard line???? :shock:

I guess I’m second guessing them, but would really like to know the thinking behind that decision........ :?
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Will Somebody Please Explain To Me........

Postby Derek » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:55 am

I was overruled on this call. I have NO CLUE what they were thinking. The game was theirs for the taking IMO. The missed field goal (which that guy RARELY does) and the fake punt were the turning points. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:05 pm

......would just like to know the thinking behind it, hell, West Virginia fans, and you can’t tell our bunch anything, are all over Holgorsen for not kicking Field Goals during the Okie State and Oklahoma games, but I understand why he chose not to. Just curious..... :D
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:05 pm

That lost the game for Georgia. Why not punt and make Hurts have to go the distance on Georgia’s defense which was playing very well to that point.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:39 pm

Just listened to a replay of Kirby Smart’s post-game presser...... he says that they had seen where when Alabama called a ‘safe’ on their punt returns they were leaving a man open, and it happened in this instance...... he further says that what didn’t happen was the ball was not snapped quickly enough, allowing the Alabama return team the time to recognize the uncovered player and get him covered. Coach Smart insists the play was there to be made, and his Dawgs came there to ‘win the game and not play for a tie, and in addition, there was a check to change the play, but didn’t get that done either..... we were trying to win the game’.

.......I’m assuming it was a [[[[[called pass play]]]]]], and I’m OK with that..... that I can understand. 8)

Edit.... I watched a replay and now I believe it was an run option play

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:45 pm

I still think that the play was to punt and let your defense make a play or get it back for your offense. There was time. The best time to fake a punt is when no one expects it, but Georgia was out playing Alabama. Momentum was changing a little, but I think that was a hand wrapped gift to Alabama. Shouldn’t have happened.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:58 pm

Considering the field position and the game score, I’d have punted and played defense too.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:16 pm

They had the chance to pen them deep and make their backup (even though he was a starter last year he wasn’t getting reps with the ones) go the distance without making a mistake. I think Smart just panicked a little.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:01 am

Spence wrote:They had the chance to pen them deep and make their backup (even though he was a starter last year he wasn’t getting reps with the ones) go the distance without making a mistake. I think Smart just panicked a little.

Well, he put a hell of a team out there, but I can’t disagree, sometimes Coaches just try to get too cute........ I mean hell, you can call the play, but if the look you’re expecting isn’t there just call timeout or take the delay penalty and punt it. :roll:

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:04 am

In the world today there is this stigma against micromanaging. This pejorative term scares leaders and often makes them fail to jump in and make a decision, leaving it to the subordinate.

One of the travesties of today's football is it isn't at the moment of truth, the game, to let the players be the focus. Everything in the past was not better, but it is a fact that in the '50s, at least, the plays had to be called by the players, generally the quarterback. If a sub came in, the official would listen at the huddle to make sure the play was not sent in.

Also another extraneous thought. Quarterbacks original meant that that in the backfield that position was right behind the line, a quarter and the halfbacks were halfway behind the full-back was all the way back. Quarter meant 1/4. Now if we add another back it is a nickel back. And that means five as in a five cent piece. Nowadays, it is all about money.

If you watched the Boise State game against Fresno the score was 10-7. In reality, Fresno thrashed Boise. Most terrible play calling possible, the whole game on Boise's part.

The Hallmark channel will do well this bowl season. The "Championship" line up has zero interest to the majority of the country. Local bowls are so boring. Maybe four bowl games will have real interest.

The stands will be less than 50% full.

As for my prediction, which not even Mrs donovan cares about. Notre Dame will be National Champions. Oklahoma will beat Alabama.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:49 pm

I wouldn't mind Oklahoma beating Alabama. I know too many Notre Dame fans to ever wish that Notre Dame would win a game.

Coaches are afraid to let the players change the play except win the defense shows a certain situation. Even then, it is a designed change. If they do this, you do that. Coaches make too much money to take the chance on letting a player mess it up.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:59 pm

donovan wrote:In the world today there is this stigma against micromanaging. This pejorative term scares leaders and often makes them fail to jump in and make a decision, leaving it to the subordinate.

One of the travesties of today's football is it isn't at the moment of truth, the game, to let the players be the focus. Everything in the past was not better, but it is a fact that in the '50s, at least, the plays had to be called by the players, generally the quarterback. If a sub came in, the official would listen at the huddle to make sure the play was not sent in.

Also another extraneous thought. Quarterbacks original meant that that in the backfield that position was right behind the line, a quarter and the halfbacks were halfway behind the full-back was all the way back. Quarter meant 1/4. Now if we add another back it is a nickel back. And that means five as in a five cent piece. Nowadays, it is all about money.

If you watched the Boise State game against Fresno the score was 10-7. In reality, Fresno thrashed Boise. Most terrible play calling possible, the whole game on Boise's part.

The Hallmark channel will do well this bowl season. The "Championship" line up has zero interest to the majority of the country. Local bowls are so boring. Maybe four bowl games will have real interest.

The stands will be less than 50% full.

As for my prediction, which not even Mrs donovan cares about. Notre Dame will be National Champions. Oklahoma will beat Alabama.

Micromanaging...... Ahhhhh, the Good Ole Days,I haven’t been accused of that since my retirement. :)

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:34 pm

My goodness, flipping through various media sources today, the consensus is Ole Kirby just ain’t too smart........ geeeeez, some of this media bunch are just plain brutal.

But of course we know the media is a fickle bunch...... if it had worked, it’s “move over Saban there’s a new sheriff in town”, regardless of whether it was a good call or not. :wink:

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:42 pm

Spence wrote:Coaches are afraid to let the players change the play except win the defense shows a certain situation. Even then, it is a designed change. If they do this, you do that. Coaches make too much money to take the chance on letting a player mess it up.

..........you bet your bippy it’s a ‘if you see this do that, and if you see that do this’. :lol:

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:59 am

Mountainman wrote:if it had worked, it’s “move over Saban there’s a new sheriff in town”, regardless of whether it was a good call or not. :wink:

That's absolutely true.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”