Week 13 Elucidations

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Week 13 Elucidations

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:18 pm

Man, I have to agree with a lot of all that has been said. It seems like Urban and Saban coach on another level. Dabo does good also, but the ACC is really down now, and that is making him look tons better. We need these landmark programs to step back up and challenge. I just don't know who the teams are and the coaches would be to do it. I remember when the BIG XII at least played some defense. When did this change? I love the suspense of it all. And you know the committee has to like th suspense it causes. I mean having five Power 5 conferences and four playoff spot to fill. Of course that is going to cause some crazy discussions. Especially the way the season seems to unfold every year. Alabama and Clemson are in. Notre Dame most certainly are in. Now, look at what Georgia, Ohio State, and Oklahoma have to do to get that 4th spot. Ohio State has to blow out Northwestern, Oklahoma has to beat Texas and show some defense, and Georgia... who knows?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:27 pm

Georgia is ranked where they are to make sure Bama is in for sure. If Georgia wins, they have to put them in. If they lose I hope Oklahoma goes in from of the Bucks. I may have a different opinion after the game in Indy, but I doubt it. I think that Oklahoma will get embarrassed on the national stage against Alabama. I think Clemson will beat them badly. I also think Notre Dame will wish they hadn't made it the day after the game.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:10 pm

The NCAA has recognized that ‘recruiting’ is the key to success, and have addressed it with scholarship limits and more recently expanded the transfer rules...... it’s early in the process as to how much impact the new Transfer Rules will impact the ‘Elites’ and I’m waiting to see.

Hell, I like having Elite Programs, the bar needs to be set high, I’m not one to support the ‘everybody gets a trophy’ way of thinking, but for goodness sakes, at least make the Elites earn it too, as some, not all, but some, IMHO, are gaming the system.

In my mind, the next step, which is past due, is for a regulation overhaul of game scheduling during the regular season.

I don’t want to call any one team out and turn this into a ‘hater’ thing, but the regular season schedules for the 3 so called ‘locks’ in this season’s playoff are....... I’ll just say, less than challenging, and I’ll go ahead and say the the Mightly Crimson Tides’ is down right laughable. I mean FOUR FCS Teams and 2 weak conference opponents and the Tide has been ranked #1 all season with all this charade about BODY OF WORK, STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE, STRENGTH OF RECORD matters..... for the good of college football, that’s got to be addressed.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:30 pm

Spence wrote:Georgia is ranked where they are to make sure Bama is in for sure. If Georgia wins, they have to put them in. If they lose I hope Oklahoma goes in from of the Bucks. I may have a different opinion after the game in Indy, but I doubt it. I think that Oklahoma will get embarrassed on the national stage against Alabama. I think Clemson will beat them badly. I also think Notre Dame will wish they hadn't made it the day after the game.

......well, at least the guy who spoke for the Committee tonight, along with Herbstreit, spoke truth on tonight’s show when they said it was a subjective process and the teams would be run through the Committee’s metrics, but in the end it would come down to the individual’s preferences who are on the Committee.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:50 pm

I knew when they announced a committee would pick the teams that is would be like this. I said at the time it would make things worse for the non blue bloods. I knew it really wouldn't hurt Ohio State - and it hasn't. They times Ohio State hasn't made it they really haven't deserved it, but they still have gotten the benefit of the doubt as much as any team involved not named Alabama.

When I speak of what I think about these teams and whether or not they should be in their position - I don't put the blame on these teams. It isn't Alabama's fault they have made people believe they are good enough that even losses in Championship games don't have a bearing on them being choosen for the playoffs. Most coaches and fans would like to be in that position. Same goes for Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Clemson, and my team. We get the benefit of the doubt whether it is deserved or not. I travel a lot and the disdain toward Ohio State from other CFB fans around the country is strong. I see the same with Bama. Clemson not as much yet. Oklahoma gets their fair share as well. I don't have disdain for those teams. I actually admire what Saban has built in Tuscaloosa. I tell it like I think it is. I try not to let my being a fan of Ohio State skew my view of them, but that is hard. I just honestly don't see a team I think belongs in the conversation with the top 2 except maybe Georgia. I think that is sad. I hope I am wrong about these teams and that this playoff has good match ups, but I don't think it will be.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:18 am

Just to make sure Eric's empiricism with erudition does not go unnoticed, the Committee has this day epitomized what is wrong with College Football to the average, I go once in awhile fan; the ones that spend all the money to support this elitism.

An unbeaten UCF is ranked below a 2 loss Michigan. Ask any common sense person if that is fair and they will look at you like a raccoon that drank Mountainman's moonshine. Wins mean nothing. Manipulation does.

I blame UCF and the Boise's for have no principles and tell the NCAA, who abandoned them with the Committee idea...the controlling body of College Sports gave up their responsibility, were out, we are pulling out. If all the schools that are marginalized on a yearly basis would sucsede, those left would fold. They could not sustain the interest.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:02 am

That is true and it is t fair. No subjective solution is ever fair.

Return to “General Discussion”