Holgorsen Mentioned as Possible.....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Holgorsen Mentioned as Possible.....

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:21 am

.......replacement for Mike MacIntyre as Head Football Coach at Colorado by numerous sources.

Holgorsen holds his weekly presser at noon today...... we’ll see if he addresses it then.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Holgorsen Mentioned as Possible.....

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:36 pm

No mention of it by the media or Holgorsen........ in a nutshell, it presser was about just how ‘scary’ the Sooner offense is, averaging 8.8 yards per offensive play.

Sweet Jesus..... that is scary. :shock:

Sock ‘em, Bust ‘em, That’s Our Custom, West, by god, Virginia!!!! 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:00 pm

I don't see Colorado as a step up for him. A lateral move at best. It may get him a raise, but I don't see him moving unless he isn't happy for some reason and that doesn't appear to be the case.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:21 pm

.......heck, who knows, I took a look at 4 of the articles that made the claim. Appeared to me to be freelance writers and that makes me suspicious it’s more about revenue and clicks than truth. :roll:

We’ll see......

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:30 pm

I doubt that it would be serious from Holorsen's camp The only reason a coach would make a move like that is recruiting or money. I think West Virginia would match the money and I do not see a recruiting advantage. Colorado would recruit California and Texas with all of the PAC12 and B12. West Virginia gets some Florida guys, east coast guys, and mid west guys. Lots of competition as well, but not more or better. It just makes no sense.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:56 pm

Yep, who knows where this stuff comes from, Holgorsen may be fishing for a contract extension at WVU now after having a good season, considering he’s graduating a bunch of seniors this spring and most likely won’t have the number of proven players going into next season and the record may suffer. Might be a good time for him to initiate contract talks..... but all of that is just speculation on my part.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:15 pm

Mountainman wrote:Yep, who knows where this stuff comes from, Holgorsen may be fishing for a contract extension at WVU now after having a good season, considering he’s graduating a bunch of seniors this spring and most likely won’t have the number of proven players going into next season and the record may suffer. Might be a good time for him to initiate contract talks..... but all of that is just speculation on my part.

That would be my bet too.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Here’s one for you Spence....... just heard of one coming out of Oklahoma. According to this guy it’s all a conspicery, he says Jerry Jones, the Dallas Cowboy owner, is unhappy and is looking to make a Head Coaching change. Jones is courting Lincoln Riley for the job, and if Riley goes then Oklahoma wants Holgorsen.

Social Media is really something....... :shock:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:47 pm

Mountainman wrote:Here’s one for you Spence....... just heard of one coming out of Oklahoma. According to this guy it’s all a conspicery, he says Jerry Jones, the Dallas Cowboy owner, is unhappy and is looking to make a Head Coaching change. Jones is courting Lincoln Riley for the job, and if Riley goes then Oklahoma wants Holgorsen.

Social Media is really something....... :shock:

I don't know if this is competely true, but Cleveland is interested in Riley. I know that.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:21 am

Distractions, distractions, distractions....... can turn into execuses, excuses, execuses real quick. There’re more important things at hand to deal with than this stuff, such as corralling that Oklahoma quarterback and the WVU receivers growing a pair and fighting through hand checking instead of throwing their hands up in the air and staring wide-eyed at the refs begging for a interference call. :roll:

It’s time to get taped-up, strapped-on, and laced-up and go win and EARN this thing..... :twisted:

P.S. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!! I’m miffed this morning after listening to that CFP Committee guy last night...... Hell, they’re reducing College Football to some sort of convoluted mathematical theory that diminishes the human elements of the game while promoting this fallacious notion of ‘deserves’ instead of ‘EARNED’. :roll:

Btw, have you seen the over/under on this game...... my goodness. :shock:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:13 pm

-

The outright hypocrisy is nothing outside of shameful ...

I've heard the excuse given, and the justifications used for ranked teams this season --- the biggest, for example, is hearing someone like Herbstreit to say, "People need to remember, it's about getting the best 4 teams. Not about getting the most deserving teams." --- then turn right around and say about LSU's ranking, "If you look at their schedule, and who they beat, winning versus 3 teams in the top 10."

Mind you, of those three teams, only 1 is currently in the top ten, Georgia.

Miami & Auburn proved they were never top ten material. And, to stand on the Mississippi State win as being great ... who exactly has Missi State beaten that would suggest they were worthy of the ranking they started the season with?

LSU has two losses. And they are ranked above several teams who look better playing, and have better records. I honestly cannot see the justification of having them so highly ranked, especially above a UCF team, that hasn't lost in nearly 2 years. Giving LSU credit for the teams they beat is fine. But what is the data point value of losing two games vs a team that has no losses?

They want to measure the weight of competition with regards to the teams these schools have both beaten, while discarding LSU's losses.

Okay, then tell me what the win value against (1-11) Rice, a (4-7) FCS program such as Southeastern Louisiana, and Louisiana Tech who is presently tied for 4th place in CUSA. Because other than a Preseason overrated Miami, that is LSU's out of conference schedule.

I guess I'm just wondering what precisely is the criteria that we're measuring. Since, from an objective observer's point of view, it seems that the criteria changes from team to team, based upon what your conference affiliation is.

Right now, using schedules as a precedent, I do not see how one can legitimize the claim that LSU is better than UCF. Nor, could you make the more deserving argument without massive subjectivity.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:30 pm

What set me off was the UCF ranking higher than Ohio State...... just compare the schedules this year and it just simplely makes no sense to me at all. And when asked, this guy starts talking about what UCF has done, which is admirable, OVER THE LAST TWO SEASONS as some sort of justification for their current ranking. Now tell me when did the notion of how a team performed LAST SEASON could possibly be a factor in determining their ranking this season....... this is a charade.

P.S. I didn’t think much of TWO 3 loss teams ranked above the Mountaineers either. :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:34 am

Mountainman wrote:What set me off was the UCF ranking higher than Ohio State...... just compare the schedules this year and it just simplely makes no sense to me at all. And when asked, this guy starts talking about what UCF has done, which is admirable, OVER THE LAST TWO SEASONS as some sort of justification for their current ranking. Now tell me when did the notion of how a team performed LAST SEASON could possibly be a factor in determining their ranking this season....... this is a charade.

P.S. I didn’t think much of TWO 3 loss teams ranked above the Mountaineers either. :roll:

Actually I am blown away that Ohio State is still ranked that high. This is a really bad defense. They have good players at the skill positions on offense, but the offensive line is really bad. I don't believe that there are only nine teams in the country that would beat Ohio State. I don't know where they should be ranked, but not below 18. A team with no defense should not be ranked in the top 10. I can see this, I don't know how this committee can't see it.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:26 am

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:What set me off was the UCF ranking higher than Ohio State...... just compare the schedules this year and it just simplely makes no sense to me at all. And when asked, this guy starts talking about what UCF has done, which is admirable, OVER THE LAST TWO SEASONS as some sort of justification for their current ranking. Now tell me when did the notion of how a team performed LAST SEASON could possibly be a factor in determining their ranking this season....... this is a charade.

Actually I am blown away that Ohio State is still ranked that high. This is a really bad defense. They have good players at the skill positions on offense, but the offensive line is really bad. I don't believe that there are only nine teams in the country that would beat Ohio State. I don't know where they should be ranked, but not below 18. A team with no defense should not be ranked in the top 10. I can see this, I don't know how this committee can't see it.

Well, that’s the point. Certainly appears we’re all making arguments and raising questions about the criteria, data, processes, methods, judgements and conclusions of the CFP Committee one way or another........ it’s a charade.

So, I wonder how the Vegas guys would handicap an Ohio State vs UCF game even if the Committee had the Buckeyes at #18?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:20 am

I don't know, but I have seen UCF play a couple times and they would probably beat Ohio State. I think it would be close though. Maybe UCF by 4 if it was their field or a neutral field. Probably a push if it was in the 'Shoe.

Return to “General Discussion”