Gloom, Despair and Agony......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Gloom, Despair and Agony......

Postby Mountainman » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:26 pm

.....on me. Deep dark depression, excessive misery, if we had our linebackers, we’d be be full of glee...... Gloom, Despair and Agony on me. :( :cry: :( :cry:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Gloom, Despair and Agony......

Postby donovan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:58 pm

Games are seldom won or lost on the final plays but the linebacker threw the Oklahoma receiver into the end zone. And for some reason, we don't want to call holding on the last play which was clear from my vantage point 2500 miles away looking at my 13" Hoffman Green Screen B/W TV interference.

I feel your pain.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:07 am

Tough loss...... Mountaineer Fans are raising hell about the refs, while Mountaineer Media are raising hell about the play calling and coaching decisions. And the Mountainman is whining about 5, count ‘em 5 freakin linebackers out of the rotation...... :( :cry: :( :cry:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:15 am

Still at the end of the day, the problems running the ball yesterday in the second half was the issue. Even with a quarterback the caliber of Grier if you can’t run you can win.

If you saw the Ohio State game, you cant win without a defense if you play a good team. Ohio State didn’t play a good team yesterday, they will next week.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:23 am

I agree, you can’t cheat the nature of the game...... I have no idea why the Mountaineers didn’t run the ball in the second half, I have no idea why they call a QB sneak on 4th and goal from the 2yard line, I have no idea what Grier is doing running the ball when he fumbled down around the 5 yard line, I do know 14 points were left on the field because of it, and I also know why an opposing quarterback who can’t run a lick rushes for over 100 yards and leads his team to 5 scores in the freakin 2nd half on 6 freakin possessions..... it’s simple really, you just CANNOT cheat the nature of the game, and win.

In any event, maybe the Mountaineers can outscore the Sooners, hell they can’t play defense either, this coming Friday and play for a Conference Title.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:34 am

Calling a time out when Grier was sacked at the end would have gave them another 18 seconds and another play too. Just unfortunate when momentum swings the other way and it seems everything works against you.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:24 am

Spence wrote:Calling a time out when Grier was sacked at the end would have gave them another 18 seconds and another play too. Just unfortunate when momentum swings the other way and it seems everything works against you.

Yeah, the media is all over Holgorsen about that..... just as the fans are all over the refs about Sills being held on the final play.

Both those incidents are the Mountaineers own fault for not putting that game away when they had the opportunity TWICE in the 2nd half....... never should have come that to begin with.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:20 pm

Agree. And I also understand it is easy to armchair QB a coaches call after the fact. People we criticizing the Maryland coach for going for the win. The play worked. The guy was open. The QB just could t complete the pass.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Spence wrote:Agree. And I also understand it is easy to armchair QB a coaches call after the fact. People we criticizing the Maryland coach for going for the win. The play worked. The guy was open. The QB just could t complete the pass.

Yes, but in the case of Holgorsen not calling the timeout after the catch in the field of play; I think you had two camps of people watching and shouting at their TV's in the moment, and not after the fact.

Camp 1 [most people in America] --- What are you doing!? Call the timeout!! You Have 2 Timeouts Left!!!

Camp 2 [fans in Stillwater & Austin] --- They ain't calling the timeout!? Yee-Haw!! They're gonna run outta time!!!

With yesterday's win over the Mountaineers, Okie St is now at 6 wins and Bowl Eligible.

As for Texas; if West Virginia loses to Oklahoma, and the Longhorns win in Lawrence next week, then the Big XII Championship will be a rematch of the Red River Shootout.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:29 pm

I was saying it at the time too, but I am looking at home without the emotion of the moment. If he calls time out and they sack the QB again there is no shot. Or Grier completes the pass in the endzone and Coach didn't want to upset the flow or let Okie State substitute. There are no repercussions when we make the call. The coach has to live with the world criticizing if he is wrong or genius if he is right. If it is me I call the time out, but I also probably get fired after the first game for mismanagement. :wink:

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:49 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Spence wrote:Agree. And I also understand it is easy to armchair QB a coaches call after the fact. People we criticizing the Maryland coach for going for the win. The play worked. The guy was open. The QB just could t complete the pass.

Yes, but in the case of Holgorsen not calling the timeout after the catch in the field of play; I think you had two camps of people watching and shouting at their TV's in the moment, and not after the fact.

Camp 1 [most people in America] --- What are you doing!? Call the timeout!! You Have 2 Timeouts Left!!!

Camp 2 [fans in Stillwater & Austin] --- They ain't calling the timeout!? Yee-Haw!! They're gonna run outta time!!!

With yesterday's win over the Mountaineers, Okie St is now at 6 wins and Bowl Eligible.

As for Texas; if West Virginia loses to Oklahoma, and the Longhorns win in Lawrence next week, then the Big XII Championship will be a rematch of the Red River Shootout.

Holgorsen’s response to media question, ‘Do you think you should have called timeout....’, emphatic reply ‘No, you can say I can’t manage the clock if you want to, but we drove the ball 70 yards down the field in 50 seconds and had a chance to score and win it’.

His critics continue to maintain if he calls the T/O he could have had two chances to win it. But then again, if he calls the T/O, Okie State can sub and reset their defense....... soooooo, 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:11 pm

Which was my point. Even if we call it before the play happens there are no consequences. You don't want a head coach that second guesses himself. If he does, you want him to be your opponents head coach.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:32 pm

Spence wrote:Which was my point. Even if we call it before the play happens there are no consequences. You don't want a head coach that second guesses himself. If he does, you want him to be your opponents head coach.

Yep, I was looking up Holgorsen’s presser when you posted and didn’t see yours until after I posted in response to Cain’s post, but coaches are going to be second guessed. Grundy is a hero in Stillwater today, but was the goat after his QB missed a throw on a 2point conversation against the Sooners....... and a couple of weeks ago Holgorsen was a gutsy genius for his 2 pt conversion at Texas, but now he’s the goat for not calling the T/O in Stillwater thru the eyes of some. :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:58 pm

Yeah, you really can't judge a coach or coaches by play calling. We have the upper hand when it comes to that because we know what happens. I just coaches by how well a team is prepared to play. Do they have good technique? Do they have the tools to play their best game. I think offensively West Virginia is as good as anyone in the country. Defensively they seem to be coached pretty well. I think they are just a couple players short of being a pretty solid defense. I thought they would take Oklahoma State. I think they have a better shot against Oklahoma. Oklahoma thinks defense is something you do to give your offense a break. They have a really good offense, but if the Mountaineers can tilt the field on them defensively, I think they will have a good day. They just have to stay away from turnovers so they don't beat themselves.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:59 am

-

Okie State could sub and rest what defense..?

They are as inept as their bigger brother in Norman. And if you can move the ball 70 yards in 50 second, 18 extra seconds gives you 3 more plays.

But, much like Donovan does, I digress

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Return to “General Discussion”