So, What the Hell......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

So, What the Hell......

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:30 pm

........is going on with this media obsession with Urban Meyer and Ohio State???
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: So, What the Hell......

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:56 pm

---

Admittedly, I do not know what you are referring to.

I have not been tuning in to the media these days. I did here about Urban's potential health during a game a couple of weeks ago. If that is what you are talking about, then, I would suggest it has the same thing to do with their obsession with Tua's Knee.

There likely is no story. However, they feel the need to have something to say about these teams, so, Urban's health becomes an invention. Alabama is Bulldozing the competition, Saban is taking Tua out early from games, so, Tua gets hit once and has a minor knee twinge, and the media needs to stress that Tua might have issues with mobility and questionable for the next game ... Even though nobody from Alabama is saying that. Nor is there any reason to believe it.

They just need something --- so they replay the same 2 second clip in loop a thousand times, making a catastrophe out of, Quite Literally, nothing.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:20 pm

I think McMurphy has over played his hand. He didn't get credit for bringing down Urban Meyer, Gene Smith, or Ohio State. He picked the wrong story to run with and the wrong horse to back. As bad a person as Zach Smith seems to be, his ex wife is just as bad. McMurphy had people mostly on his side until this story and now he has killed his credibility and may end up on the wrong side of a civil suit with the largest University in the US. Not only has Ohio State disputed what McMurphy has reported. all the players who witnessed it have publicly said that his story was false, but the player supposedly involved in the issue with Smith also has also said it wasn't true. It appears to me that Ohio State, from the president and the board, to the coaches and players are united in stopping McMurphy in his tracks this time. They appear, at the moment to have him treed and ready to drop.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:33 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:---

Admittedly, I do not know what you are referring to.

I have not been tuning in to the media these days. I did here about Urban's potential health during a game a couple of weeks ago. If that is what you are talking about, then, I would suggest it has the same thing to do with their obsession with Tua's Knee.

There likely is no story. However, they feel the need to have something to say about these teams, so, Urban's health becomes an invention. Alabama is Bulldozing the competition, Saban is taking Tua out early from games, so, Tua gets hit once and has a minor knee twinge, and the media needs to stress that Tua might have issues with mobility and questionable for the next game ... Even though nobody from Alabama is saying that. Nor is there any reason to believe it.

They just need something --- so they replay the same 2 second clip in loop a thousand times, making a catastrophe out of, Quite Literally, nothing.

Spence beat me to it...... this guy came out with a story today about ‘racism’ and tied it back to Urban Meyer.

I thought about linking the article, but thought about it and didn’t want to give his story the clicks.

.......btw reports are saying Meyer is considering filing a lawsuit, andI wouldn’t blame him for doing so one bit.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:39 pm

Not only Meyer, but Ohio State is considering doing it. Lots of resources if that happens.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:04 am

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:53 pm

I certainly don't understand all of what happened. If the issue is the reporter said Smith used a racial slur at practice and Urban and the school deny it...then give me a break. Not as much as most of you, but I have been on the sidelines, locker rooms etc for nigh unto 60 years. I haven't heard it all, but can testify there have been more than one racial slur and color of skin excludes no one. This is the school that defames that the President, Gee, said of Boise State and TCU they do not deserve to play in a Championship because "We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor." Now Urban is acting like he runs a monastical retreat.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:46 pm

It is about an supposed altercation between Smith and a former player. Which the reporter said was physical, but witnesses said wasn't. The witnesses were all the receivers on the team. The receivers all said it didn't happen. The player - who had transferred to Florida - said it didn't happen. The school interviewed everyone there except the kid involved who transferred. Then they dismissed the story as false and are looking to file a lawsuit against him. The reporter is the one in trouble over this one. The reporter also alleges that Meyer supports a culture that supports racism - which is ludicrous as kids would be transferring out at an alarming rate IMO. Columbus isn't a racist town. There isn't a culture of racism in the city, let alone at the school. There is racism and racists everywhere and no one can say there isn't, but you it a common thing. Now Cincinnati on the other hand has issues.

Zack Smith, by everyone's account, is a first class jerk. I don't believe for a second he was innocent. It doesn't appear his ex wife was innocent either. A match made in hell.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:12 pm

I understand better. In the military, a commander is responsible for everything that happens and doesn't happen. Seems like a good idea to apply to all CEO's head coaches etc. But it isn't. I can't hold Meyer for things that happen when he can't control it. (Is it the coaches responsibility to know a cameraman has not hydrated?)

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:36 pm

donovan wrote:I understand better. In the military, a commander is responsible for everything that happens and doesn't happen. Seems like a good idea to apply to all CEO's head coaches etc. But it isn't. I can't hold Meyer for things that happen when he can't control it. (Is it the coaches responsibility to know a cameraman has not hydrated?)

Hmmmm, I would think that a military commander, all CEO’s, head coaches, etc. would be held accountable for things that happen within their purview, but in no way they should be held responsible for the decisions and behaviors of others. 8)

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:54 pm

This is the difference. Commanders are in charge of everything. Coaches are not, nor are CEO's There are boards of directors, Regents, etc. The Eunuchs should be held responsible for all that happens or fails to happen.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:45 pm

donovan wrote:This is the difference. Commanders are in charge of everything. Coaches are not, nor are CEO's There are boards of directors, Regents, etc. The Eunuchs should be held responsible for all that happens or fails to happen.

There’s a bunch in Stillwater looking for someone to hang-up by their testicles over that two point conversion attempt the Cowboys ran against the Sooners last weekend..... the coach called the play, the receiver ran the pattern, the quarterback missed badly with the throw and the attempt failed resulting in the Cowboys losing the game. All things considered who’s that bunch gonna hang???? :wink:

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:58 pm

donovan wrote:This is the difference. Commanders are in charge of everything. Coaches are not, nor are CEO's There are boards of directors, Regents, etc. The Eunuchs should be held responsible for all that happens or fails to happen.
Mountainman wrote:

There’s a bunch in Stillwater looking for someone to hang-up by their testicles over that two point conversion attempt the Cowboys ran against the Sooners last weekend..... the coach called the play, the receiver ran the pattern, the quarterback missed badly with the throw and the attempt failed resulting in the Cowboys losing the game. All things considered who’s that bunch gonna hang???? :wink:

I think a recent study showed that Oklahoma Cowboys don't have any balls to begin with, have to go much further West. So I think they are safe.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:00 pm

Coaches have to be responsible for behavior. I can tell you that is half the recruiting pitch to most parents, we will protect your child, etc. Decent assistants help.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:21 pm

Zack Smith was a bad hire. He should have never been hired in Florida, let alone when Meyer came to Ohio State. Meyer is fully responsible for Zack Smith being on the staff. Meyer felt he owed it to Earle Bruce to hire and keep him. Maybe he did owe Earle a debt, but giving a guy a chance is what he owed him, keeping him on the staff once he knew who Zack Smith was is on Meyer. He has to deal with that the rest of his career. I don't think however and employer is responsible for things his employees do while not a work. I know I am not responsible for people who work for me when they aren't at work and I don't want to be.

This story though is a blown up argument between a coach and a player. Not the first time something like this has happened at Ohio State or anywhere else. Not only did the players that were present say it was nothing, but the player that was involved said there was nothing to it as well. This kid had transferred to Florida because he was stuck behind too many players on the depth chart. The reporter in this case seems to grab at anything he can to try and bring this program down. I don't know if his grudge is with the school, the coach, or it isn't a grudge at all and he is just a poor reporter, but this story had no legs and shouldn't have been reported. When all the people involved say there was nothing to it, I don't know how you can run with a story. This is he said she said. it is nobody said and I'll run it anyway. Too often in this country the press doesn't give people the what really happened. Just a version of what they believe happened. Every single story from the press that I have had first hand knowledge of has gotten the story wrong or at least not reported what really happened. They should also be responsible for accurate reporting.

Return to “General Discussion”