So, What the Hell......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: So, What the Hell......

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:20 pm

Maybe this a semantics thing, but this Hillbilly believes that each individual is responsible for their own behavior and for dealing with any issues or consequences that is a result of their behavior. For others, such as an employer or person who hired a person who has misbehaved or otherwise exhibited ‘bad behavior’ they are held accountable to take appropriate action. Which in the Zack Smith issue is exactly what was done at Ohio State....... as opposed to how Maryland initially dealt with their issue, although they eventually got there kinda. (I read the other day where they fired the trainers involved)

.......and btw, the MAC has a couple of good games to watch on tonight. Ohio is putting whoopen on Buffalo, while Miami and Northern Illinois are in a tight one.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:58 pm

It is not a Hillbilly thing. Personal responsibility is essential to a civilized community. Seems to me that Meyer did not vet or ignored the previous behavior and never should have hired this guy. After seems, he took immediate action and fired him. I also think the news is such you will never know what happened. Sports is no exception.

I believe one reason we become fixated on sports is that there are rules, the penalties are equally administered and the punishment is the same and not negotiable. Well, there are those that would argue current sport is a reflection our society.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:58 am

donovan wrote:It is not a Hillbilly thing. Personal responsibility is essential to a civilized community. Seems to me that Meyer did not vet or ignored the previous behavior and never should have hired this guy. After seems, he took immediate action and fired him. I also think the news is such you will never know what happened. Sports is no exception.

I believe one reason we become fixated on sports is that there are rules, the penalties are equally administered and the punishment is the same and not negotiable. Well, there are those that would argue current sport is a reflection our society.

You’re right about the Hillbilly thing, there’re plenty of hillbillies running around blaming everything and everybody for their behavior...... and you’re also right about the news, the best one can get from that bunch is that something happened maybe. There’s no ‘news’ source around that I can find that’s accurate or trustworthy, instead what I’ve found is more Hollywood, meaning make-believe and entertainment, with actors presenting their ‘analysis and commentary’ as truth and fact........ as for Urban Meyer, I don’t know what he knew when, but he hired Smith and kept him around and for that Ohio State held him accountable for doing so when they suspended him without pay, and as for Smith, they fired his dumbass.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:39 pm

donovan wrote:It is not a Hillbilly thing. Personal responsibility is essential to a civilized community. Seems to me that Meyer did not vet or ignored the previous behavior and never should have hired this guy. After seems, he took immediate action and fired him. I also think the news is such you will never know what happened. Sports is no exception.

I think Meyer has been pretty responsible running his shio with the exception of Smith. Smith had a job because who his grandfather was and he kept it because of his grandfather. I don't have a problem giving someone a chance because you know a member of their family, but then it is up to that person to sink or swim on their own merits. If you keep them around no matter how they perform you may have a strong sense of loyalty, but you leave the door open for people to question your leadership capabilities. I think it is fair to question Meyer's leadership abilities.

I also think it is fair to question the motives of a reporter who writes a story that insinuates that a something happens and the coach knew about it and covered it up. Then when all parties envolved say nothing happened the reporter says he was just reporting what a thrid party told him and not this as facts that he checked out and varified. I think that reporter should not have a platform to practice his craft.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:00 am

---

Are you certain we talking about McMurphy..?

Because I believe the same could, and should, be said about Jim Acostas.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:08 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:---

I was talking about McMurphy, but the same crap applies to all mainstream national media both left and right. At some point our press had given up on hiding their political slant and there is really no straight reporting nationally any more.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:25 am

Spence wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:---

I was talking about McMurphy, but the same crap applies to all mainstream national media both left and right. At some point our press had given up on hiding their political slant and there is really no straight reporting nationally any more.

There is not. When I watch CNN (only by force at the airport)....I can't believe how outright insane it all is.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”