Group of Five

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Group of Five

Postby donovan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:37 am

60 schools are in the Group of Five. Junior Varsity teams deluding themselves that they should be playing with the varsity. And like all bullies, the Power Five, keep toying with them and stealing their lunch money. That is both figuratively and literally. It is time for the Junior Varsity to stand up to the bullies and succeed from the oligarchy.

1. The Power Five would just have to play with themselves. (Hush Mountainman)
2. The Group of Five could have regional games, conference championships, Playoffs and on January 2, worry about basketball and Spring training.
3. It would be an uplift for the Group of Five and the demise of the Power Five. Bullies only survive when they have somebody to bully.

What resurrects this conversation. The Mountain West contest has really heated up. Fresno State, Boise State, and Utah State are all in the hunt down to the last two games. Far more interesting than the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, KGB, Big 12, KFC, and the PAC 12.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Group of Five

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:46 am

I think the KGB and KFC should be interesting as well.

I don't know if they should succeed, but I think there should be a clear path and there is not and that is wrong IMO. Every school should be playing for the prize on the first day of the season and their play should decide where they go, not a committee. If you are going to have a playoff, then have a playoff. One school from every conference, see what happens.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:05 pm

---

Personally, I think the KGB vs KFC would make a fantastic bowl game.

Spence, I think you are right that everyone who is in the FBS should be afforded the same opportunity. And no matter the rhetoric the media and naysayers likes to spin, it doesn't make sense to include a portion of teams in season, that will be excluded in the post.

The Big Twelve has it right. The designed their championship game the way I said the ACC should have back when Miami, Virginia Tech & Boston College joined the conference. I said the same thing about the Big 10 when they conspired with the ACC to collapse the Big East.

If you are going to have a Championship game to determine who the best in the Conference is, then you need to play the two best teams from the Conference --- The push back, is that you may wind up having a repeat match up from the regular season --- To that I say, you might have that rematch anyway, since teams from the opposing divisions play more than one game against each other as it is.

That is where you start the cleanup.

Do away with the divisions, and play the two best teams in conference at the end of the season.

Then make all of the top tier Power5 Conference teams, schedule at least two of the top tier Group of 5 teams for Out of Conference play, then the mid tier Power5 vs mid tier Group of 5, on downward, leaving room for Cross Conference rivals to continue facing off every year.

This way, if the Group of 5 is really not good enough to compete, then you have already proved it before the Post Season.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:39 pm

I just think they should play the conference champion from every conference. Does that ensure you get the best teams? No. Who cares. You probably don’t get the best teams now. Just who we believe are the best teams. Or the committee believes are the best teams. It is really impossible to have a true national champ because there really isn’t a legitimate way to do it. Even with a playoff of 4-8-12-24-64 whatever. All you can get is the team playing the best in the tournament. As long as we understand that, why not play off conference champs instead of trying to create the illusion that you have the best four teams.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:54 pm

Spence wrote:I just think they should play the conference champion from every conference. Does that ensure you get the best teams? No. Who cares. You probably don’t get the best teams now. Just who we believe are the best teams. Or the committee believes are the best teams. It is really impossible to have a true national champ because there really isn’t a legitimate way to do it. Even with a playoff of 4-8-12-24-64 whatever. All you can get is the team playing the best in the tournament. As long as we understand that, why not playoff conference champs instead of trying to create the illusion that you have the best four teams.

Bigger, stronger, faster are scarce resources and like all scares resources there are not enough to go around. The Mountain West will never win against neanderthals of Alabama. Boxing had it figured out a long time ago. Same applies to football, basketball, etc. Teams of common criteria play again like teams. They have a championship and the outcome will change year to year.

Mr. Billybus, I think he is on a hiatus, but doing fine, has always argued SOS is important. Under the current system, it is because there is no way to handicap the teams. Start letting flyweights play flyweights and middle middles, then you make improve the competition.

It is human nature to want to speculate, so let us. It is hard to argue the best baseball hitter for a given year, the stats pretty well tell you. But get rid of all of that and ask who was the best hitter of all time and you can have great discussion because we know that circumstances change. (I vote for Ted Williams and Ken Griffey Jr as having the most picture perfect swing.)

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Spence wrote:I just think they should play the conference champion from every conference. Does that ensure you get the best teams? No. Who cares. You probably don’t get the best teams now. Just who we believe are the best teams. Or the committee believes are the best teams. It is really impossible to have a true national champ because there really isn’t a legitimate way to do it. Even with a playoff of 4-8-12-24-64 whatever. All you can get is the team playing the best in the tournament. As long as we understand that, why not play off conference champs instead of trying to create the illusion that you have the best four teams.

I just posted the same thoughts in another thread....... so, while I’m at it, there is no one who wants the Buckeyes to beat Michigan more than me, for a number of reasons, but foremost is to throw this College Football Playoff Committee into absolute chaos and to expose and illustrate this charade. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:43 pm

donovan wrote:
Spence wrote:I just think they should play the conference champion from every conference. Does that ensure you get the best teams? No. Who cares. You probably don’t get the best teams now. Just who we believe are the best teams. Or the committee believes are the best teams. It is really impossible to have a true national champ because there really isn’t a legitimate way to do it. Even with a playoff of 4-8-12-24-64 whatever. All you can get is the team playing the best in the tournament. As long as we understand that, why not playoff conference champs instead of trying to create the illusion that you have the best four teams.

Bigger, stronger, faster are scarce resources and like all scares resources there are not enough to go around. The Mountain West will never win against neanderthals of Alabama. Boxing had it figured out a long time ago. Same applies to football, basketball, etc. Teams of common criteria play again like teams. They have a championship and the outcome will change year to year.

Mr. Billybus, I think he is on a hiatus, but doing fine, has always argued SOS is important. Under the current system, it is because there is no way to handicap the teams. Start letting flyweights play flyweights and middle middles, then you make improve the competition.

It is human nature to want to speculate, so let us. It is hard to argue the best baseball hitter for a given year, the stats pretty well tell you. But get rid of all of that and ask who was the best hitter of all time and you can have great discussion because we know that circumstances change. (I vote for Ted Williams and Ken Griffey Jr as having the most picture perfect swing.)

Since I’m in somewhat of a belligerent mood this evening....... ‘best hitter’ as currently measured is a misnomer, give me the guy who has the best on base percentage and RBI total, that’s what a hitter is supposed to do...... get on base and knock in runs. 8)
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:44 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:I just think they should play the conference champion from every conference. Does that ensure you get the best teams? No. Who cares. You probably don’t get the best teams now. Just who we believe are the best teams. Or the committee believes are the best teams. It is really impossible to have a true national champ because there really isn’t a legitimate way to do it. Even with a playoff of 4-8-12-24-64 whatever. All you can get is the team playing the best in the tournament. As long as we understand that, why not play off conference champs instead of trying to create the illusion that you have the best four teams.

I just posted the same thoughts in another thread....... so, while I’m at it, there is no one who wants the Buckeyes to beat Michigan more than me, for a number of reasons, but foremost is to throw this College Football Playoff Committee into absolute chaos and to expose and illustrate this charade. 8)

You shoulfd be rooting for the Bucks, I believe we can put your boys in the show if we beat them. And watching Harbaugh throw a fit would be good enough for me when Ohio State didn't make it in . :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:48 pm

donovan wrote:

Junior had the fasted hands I have ever seen. My dad said Ted Williams was the best hitter he had ever seen. By the way, it is tough for me to take that the kid I saw grow up playing on the field when his dad was warming up is retired from baseball. How did I get so old?

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:15 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

You shoulfd be rooting for the Bucks, I believe we can put your boys in the show if we beat them. And watching Harbaugh throw a fit would be good enough for me when Ohio State didn't make it in . :lol:

.........and therein lies the the problem with the concept of the College Football Playoff Committee, NO TEAM CAN WIN THEIR WAY TO THE NATIONAL TITLE, instead a team must be selected by a committee to participate for a opportunity to win the National Title.

Maybe we can watch Harbaugh climb a tree or participate in a sleepover..... my despise for Michigan comes from the ludicrous and humiliating RichRod fiasco. :evil:
Last edited by Mountainman on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:38 pm

Yeah, but that probably has as much to do with Richrod's ego as it did the Michigander arrogance. I hope Ohio State can give your boys a boost to the playoff this year, but I admit I don't like Ohio State's chances. Actually I don't see any way Ohio State can make it happen. MAybe root for another snow bowl where blizzard conditions make it impossible for anyone to move the ball or get any leverage and somehow Mike Weber gets lose for a 60 yard TD run as time runs out. Ohio State wins 6-0.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:44 pm

Spence wrote:
donovan wrote:

Junior had the fasted hands I have ever seen. My dad said Ted Williams was the best hitter he had ever seen. By the way, it is tough for me to take that the kid I saw grow up playing on the field when his dad was warming up is retired from baseball. How did I get so old?

I am with your Dad. He said he could see the seams on the ball. And after baseball, I met him when he was touring for JC Higgins sports gear, a Sears and Roebuck brand when he landing flys in a ring about 3 feet in diameter about...seem like 40' away. That was in the 50's. As for Junior, I saw him almost countless times in Seattle. Met him as some function...was a genuinely nice kid.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:55 pm

I saw junior grow up. From a little kid through to playing legion ball in Cincinnati. I never really met him but always rooted for him throughout his career. I believe him to be the best player in his era - including Bonds, McGuire, Sosa and all the other Steroid boys.

I got into a friendly argument with Mike Devereaux , who played for the Atlanta Braves and was a hitting coach in the Rockies organization, a few years ago in Arizona during spring training. I met him in a sports bar close to the Diamondbacks stadium in Downtown Phoenix. He said that Bonds was the best of all time. I told him I didn't think Bonds was the nest even in his era, and that I believe Hank Arron was the best all around baseball player ever, We had about a four hour discussion on baseball. He was as big a fan of the game as I was and didn't take it for granted because he was a player. He had on his world series ring which was awesome. I told him it was very cool for him to spend time with a fan even though he was wrong about Bonds. :lol:

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:45 am

Spence wrote:I saw junior grow up. From a little kid through to playing legion ball in Cincinnati. I never really met him but always rooted for him throughout his career. I believe him to be the best player in his era - including Bonds, McGuire, Sosa and all the other Steroid boys.

I got into a friendly argument with Mike Devereaux , who played for the Atlanta Braves and was a hitting coach in the Rockies organization, a few years ago in Arizona during spring training. I met him in a sports bar close to the Diamondbacks stadium in Downtown Phoenix. He said that Bonds was the best of all time. I told him I didn't think Bonds was the nest even in his era, and that I believe Hank Arron was the best all around baseball player ever, We had about a four hour discussion on baseball. He was as big a fan of the game as I was and didn't take it for granted because he was a player. He had on his world series ring which was awesome. I told him it was very cool for him to spend time with a fan even though he was wrong about Bonds. :lol:

What a great fun experience, especially when it is an everyday conversation. The fact he was a fan of the game is interesting. Lot of people are not fans of their given profession. That is sad. Should change jobs.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:11 pm

Spence wrote:Yeah, but that probably has as much to do with Richrod's ego as it did the Michigander arrogance. I hope Ohio State can give your boys a boost to the playoff this year, but I admit I don't like Ohio State's chances. Actually I don't see any way Ohio State can make it happen. MAybe root for another snow bowl where blizzard conditions make it impossible for anyone to move the ball or get any leverage and somehow Mike Weber gets lose for a 60 yard TD run as time runs out. Ohio State wins 6-0.

Richrod’s ego?..... hell, you wouldn’t believe the stuff he was doing at WVU that was against NCAA rules, and when the Athletic Director told him he couldn’t do those things and must stop RichRod went ballistic..... and btw, after RichRod left, the AD was canned, as the tail was wagging the dog. Bottom line, in my humble opinion, WVU dodged a NCAA bullet, that very well could have been a kill shot.

Return to “General Discussion”