Ruminating Week 11

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Ruminating Week 11

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:42 am

Ruminating Week 11
1. Alabama v Mississippi – We are now down to saying Alabama has chinks in its armor because the third-string quarterback plays half the game and does not run up the score.
2. Boise State v Fresno State – A good Friday night game that would have been on ESPN47 on Saturday.
3. Washington State v Colorado – Mike Leach said it all, “We hogged the ball all game.” 42 -18 minutes time of possession. Leach said the PAC 12 bottom half could beat any other conferences bottom half. 9-1 will get the zero respect in the rankings.
4. Navy v UCF – Beating a hapless team will get you no points, but when the game was scheduled it looked like it was a great game for UCF. If Alabama and Clemson are going to be the final two then put them in the final four and shut them up or eat crow.
5. Arkansas v LSU – Doss was right.
6. Notre Dame v FSU – More concerned about Mr. Billybud than this game.US
7. Wisconsin v Penn State – Penn State sole purpose in life is to just make other teams miserable. They aren’t going anywhere so make sure no one else is either. Actually, I was just hoping for an upset to hurt Spence’s picks.
8. Oklahoma State v Oklahoma – Best game of the day. Oklahoma State, kick the extra point, go into overtime and you get tons of credit, miss the two-pointer and you just get the loss. Terrible coaching decision. Of course, had they made it, but what made them think they could. Cheap lawn chair under pressure.
9. Ohio State v Michigan State – Highlight of the punter Chrisman puts 6 punts inside the 10-yard line. The big question of this blowout, why did OSU have to punt so many times? The money team will get their spot in the playoffs.
10. Oregon v Utah – Utah has been the better team all season and Oregon. The Ducks have to get a plan and give it three years to mature. That will never happen. This is a town of instant gratification.
11. USC v Cal – One of the best mascots in the country have faltered for a long time. Cal knocks them off, became bowl eligible and neither are in PAC 12 contention. Clay Helton will be terminated.
12. Texas v Texas Tech – The fourth quarter was entertaining, didn’t help Tech enough but was good to watch. The state of Texas is so arrogant they don’t even know none of their teams are in the limelight.
13. Clemson v Boston College – Whoever picks gameday sights can hope for better days. I wonder if the Plenum of the Central Committee is concerned nobody is interested in an Alabama v Clemson game?
14. Miami-Ohio v Ohio – A MAC rivalry "Battle of the Bricks" Of course nobody cares but the postgame interview with Miami-Ohio’s coach, Chuck Martin was classic. His teams win the rivalry, the first time in his stint as a coach and this is what he says “Is there a trophy or anything? I was waiting for the trophy to come storming in. What are we talking about? This rivalry, we don't have a trophy for it or anything? I just assumed there's a trophy. We haven't won it in 50 years, but how can it be such a rivalry if there's even no darn trophy? I'll pitch in if there's—it's a pretty big deal. I'm like, where's the dang trophy? I guess it's not that big of a deal if no one can afford a trophy for the rivalry. It just shows how cheap these schools are in this league. Our home fans are yelling at our players and coaches as the game's unraveling, That's helpful. And they can hear. The kids can hear it. Because they're panicked that we're going to lose. You've got to block it out. Welcome to life."
15. West Virginia v TCU – My sincere thanks to Mountainman. The ‘Smoking Musket’ hit the mark. This guy Grier should be a top contender for that award that is the most inconsequential in football. The quintessential affect of one loss.
16. Utah State v San Jose – 62-24, At 9-1 Utah State is the most underrated team in the country. They will beat Boise State for the Mountain West Championship. They have a savvy coach Matt Wells. Utah State had eight scoring drives that lasted less than three minutes and three that took less than a minute off the clock. Logan is to Utah what Pullman is to Washington.
17. Miami v Georgia Tech – Will Miami become bowl eligible?
18. Georgia v Auburn – Georgia's one loss is the most disappointing. They could beat Clemson.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Ruminating Week 11

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:03 pm

Will Virginia Tech make a bowl?
How many times did the commentators mention WVU and Holgerson when saying the Cowboys should go for two? To me, the momentum wasn't the same as when WVU did it. Kick for the tie.
Pitt, Georgia Tech, etc. really know how to mess with a conference.
What is going on in the PAC 12?
How many bet that Northwestern would be in the BIG TEN champs game?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:06 am

9. Ohio State v Michigan State – Highlight of the punter Chrisman puts 6 punts inside the 10-yard line. The big question of this blowout, why did OSU have to punt so many times? The money team will get their spot in the playoffs.

They had to punt so many times because they can’t mover the ball. They keep running the zone read with a quarterback that everyone knows isn’t going to run and they keep thinking it will fool someone. The good news is the defense didn’t allow much either. The bad news on defense is that the MSU receivers were wide open all day. Lucky for the Buckeyes their QB could hit the broad side of a barn.

I’ve said this earlier this year, but this is the word Ohio State team I have seen in 20 years. The offensive line is terrible. They can’t move the LOS enough to get a yard when they need it. Haskins is the best pure passing QB that Ohio State has ever had and the offensive line can’t protect him.
The back seven on defense look like they have no coach. The db’s technique is awful and the linebackers shouldn’t be on a D1 team. If Ohio State makes the playoffs this year then Donovan will be right. It is only about money period, because this team can’t beat anyone with an offense.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:11 am

Louisville, however one pronounces it, fires Bobby Petrino, contract buyout of 13 million minimum.

.......must see, Mike Gundy’s response to reporters post-game question about ‘going for two point conversion’. :lol:

The Mountaineers dropped/missed/didn’t catch, or whatever one wishes to call it, 3 touchdown passes against TCU....... one would think that playing at home, and knowing the November sun is low in the sky and a factor in the right corner of the North Endzone at that time of day SOMEBODY MIGHT JOT THAT DOWN FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.... :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:55 am

Mountainman wrote:Louisville, however one pronounces it, fires Bobby Petrino, contract buyout of 13 million minimum.

.......must see, Mike Gundy’s response to reporters post-game question about ‘going for two point conversion’. :lol:

The Mountaineers dropped/missed/didn’t catch, or whatever one wishes to call it, 3 touchdown passes against TCU....... one would think that playing at home, and knowing the November sun is low in the sky and a factor in the right corner of the North Endzone at that time of day SOMEBODY MIGHT JOT THAT DOWN FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.... :roll:

I'd like to have the money Petrino has collected after being fired for jobs.
Mike Gundy is always an entertaining press conference. Always worth a watch.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:51 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Louisville, however one pronounces it, fires Bobby Petrino, contract buyout of 13 million minimum.

I'd like to have the money Petrino has collected after being fired for jobs.
Mike Gundy is always an entertaining press conference. Always worth a watch.

Between Petrino and Pitino the Louisville AD, Tom Jurich, showed he could really pick ‘em. :roll:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:33 pm

donovan wrote:Ruminating Week 11

15. West Virginia v TCU – My sincere thanks to Mountainman. The ‘Smoking Musket’ hit the mark. This guy Grier should be a top contender for that award that is the most inconsequential in football. The quintessential affect of one loss.

Pretty obvious I’m in nitpicking modus operandi....... two biggies stand between the Mountaineers and a regular season conference title. Just gotta do more of all those little things right than those two biggies do to win it.

......and yep, Grier’s a contender, and it would be a good thing for the program it he won that thing and had a replica trophy on display at Milan Puskar Center in recognition of accomplishment and for recruiting....... flanked on both sides with a Big XII Conference and New Year’s Day Bowl Championship Trophy. 8)

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Mountainman wrote:

......and yep, Grier’s a contender, and it would be a good thing for the program it he won that thing and had a replica trophy on display at Milan Puskar Center in recognition of accomplishment and for recruiting....... flanked on both sides with a Big XII Conference and New Year’s Day Bowl Championship Trophy. 8)

I looked up greedy in the dictionary and this is what I saw.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:26 pm

donovan wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

I looked up greedy in the dictionary and this is what I saw.

Well I’ll be darned...... it’s my Great, Great Uncle Ezra!!!!! :lol:

Checkout that Buckhorn Handled Bowie Knife...... :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:01 am

Mountainman wrote:

Pretty obvious I’m in nitpicking modus operandi....... two biggies stand between the Mountaineers and a regular season conference title. Just gotta do more of all those little things right than those two biggies do to win it.

Oklahoma lately have shown that they don't really think they need a defense. I think Okie State is the team standing in the way. I think West Virginia can take the B12. I'm not sure it is fair to probably have to play Oklahoma twice in a couple weeks. though. It would be hard to game plan for them without completely showing your hand for the second game.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:26 am

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Oklahoma lately have shown that they don't really think they need a defense. I think Okie State is the team standing in the way. I think West Virginia can take the B12. I'm not sure it is fair to probably have to play Oklahoma twice in a couple weeks. though. It would be hard to game plan for them without completely showing your hand for the second game.

Those linebackers I keep talking about are key to the success of the Mountaineers going forward...... 1 of the three got playing time against TCU, and a 4th LB suffered a stinger during the TCU game. To me, the Linebacker Corp and establishing it’s rotation against these high scoring and 75-85 play offenses of these two remaining opponents will go a long way in determining the outcomes of the remaining games.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:00 am

Yes. Especially with all the play action and RPO's. I think the best defense- not the best offense will come out of the B12 and that just may be West Virginia. I still think with Notre Dame in play, it will be hard to make the playoff. I think you will need the Buckeye's to beat Michigan or Notre Dame to lose to Syracuse to make it in. I'm not saying that is fair, but both Michigan and Notre Dame's fan bases are hungry and both get big tv ratings. I don't believe Notre Dame can go with a loss though because their schedule didn't turn out as good as they thought it would be when they made it and they don't play a conference championship. I believe Notre Dame losing is the best path for the B12 champ to be in. Syracuse can unseat them. I don't know if they will or not, but they have the ability. Too bad the Domers don't have to play the best team in the ACC to make it in, but they don't.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:33 pm

Spence wrote:Yes. Especially with all the play action and RPO's. I think the best defense- not the best offense will come out of the B12 and that just may be West Virginia. I still think with Notre Dame in play, it will be hard to make the playoff. I think you will need the Buckeye's to beat Michigan or Notre Dame to lose to Syracuse to make it in. I'm not saying that is fair, but both Michigan and Notre Dame's fan bases are hungry and both get big tv ratings. I don't believe Notre Dame can go with a loss though because their schedule didn't turn out as good as they thought it would be when they made it and they don't play a conference championship. I believe Notre Dame losing is the best path for the B12 champ to be in. Syracuse can unseat them. I don't know if they will or not, but they have the ability. Too bad the Domers don't have to play the best team in the ACC to make it in, but they don't.

IMHO, until the CFP changes its selection process to only Conference Champions qualify for an expanded playoff bracket, teams like the Mountaineers, as well as others, have little chance of making the playoff.

In any event, the Oklahoma State game will come down to the defenses in that the Mountaineer offensive line and pass blocking schemes must give pass patterns time to develop and Greer time to throw, and the Okie State offensive line and pass blocking schemes must do the same for their QB. As both the Cowboys and the Mountaineers have shown they can score points in bunches.
Last edited by Mountainman on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Mountainman wrote:
Spence wrote:Yes. Especially with all the play action and RPO's. I think the best defense- not the best offense will come out of the B12 and that just may be West Virginia. I still think with Notre Dame in play, it will be hard to make the playoff. I think you will need the Buckeye's to beat Michigan or Notre Dame to lose to Syracuse to make it in. I'm not saying that is fair, but both Michigan and Notre Dame's fan bases are hungry and both get big tv ratings. I don't believe Notre Dame can go with a loss though because their schedule didn't turn out as good as they thought it would be when they made it and they don't play a conference championship. I believe Notre Dame losing is the best path for the B12 champ to be in. Syracuse can unseat them. I don't know if they will or not, but they have the ability. Too bad the Domers don't have to play the best team in the ACC to make it in, but they don't.

IMHO, until the CFP changes its selection process to only Conference Champions qualify, teams like the Mountaineers, as well as others, have little chance of making the playoff.

You are correct, but if you did that then the Central Committee would be unnecessary.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:03 pm

donovan wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

IMHO, until the CFP changes its selection process to only Conference Champions qualify, teams like the Mountaineers, as well as others, have little chance of making the playoff.

You are correct, but if you did that then the Central Committee would be unnecessary.

........as would the Central Committee’s subjective weighting of mysterious factors such as Strength of Schedule and Strength of Record...... and College Football would then return to the essence of the game, or more simply put, “Who Won?” :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”