Ruminating Week 11

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ruminating Week 11

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:41 pm

That is what I don't like about the committee. They say it is about resume and the "eye" test. If it were resume - assuming West Virginia wins out - they IMO would have the best resume of any team. If Georgia wins out, then Alabama gets in on the eye test - which I admit is impressive - but Ohio State looked pretty great until the 3rd game. Notre Dame has beaten an impressive group of names who aren't very good this year save Michigan who has grown noticeably better as the season has progressed. UCF didn't play anyone with an impressive team, that is true. Last year, though, they paired UCF with Auburn to prove UCF didn't belong in the playoff. Auburn had beaten Alabama so this game was to prove that the committee was right It didn't so the committee just decided to ignore them completely this year. The playoff is four games. The committee can pick literally anyone they want. Why not let UCF in last year and see what happens. You aren't anointing them anything. They would have played two tough games to win. It wouldn't have been handing them anything. Instead they put Alabama in because Georgia ruined the committee's plans. This isn't on Alabama and I don't want it to sound that way. This lies firmly on the committee and their obvious bias.

For anyone to say they know everything about D1 football and how good the teams are is just crazy. If anyone did they would clean out Vegas in just a few weeks. Not even Vegas can successfully predict lines or outcomes or no one would ever beat them however temporarily. We all know the college game pretty well. We have all seen our pick results. Less then 75% all time. Probably less than 65% all time. It may never happen, but it is really time to let play on the field decide who plays in the tournament at the end, understanding that who ever wins is the hottest team and the time and one of the best teams in the country and leave it at that, knowing that it is impossible to know who is the best team or that it really even matters.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:12 am

"This isn't on Alabama and I don't want it to sound that way. This lies firmly on the committee and their obvious bias"

You are right here IMO.

IF IF IF (which I highly doubt) Georgia does beat Bama....they will STILL put Bama in...and that's a problem.

And what bothers me even more, is that if the shoe was on the other foot and Ga was current #1 and they lost to Bama at #5.....Ga would NOT be in the playoffs.

It's not about the best 4 teams IMO.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 pm

Derek wrote:
"This isn't on Alabama and I don't want it to sound that way. This lies firmly on the committee and their obvious bias"

You are right here IMO.

IF IF IF (which I highly doubt) Georgia does beat Bama....they will STILL put Bama in...and that's a problem.

And what bothers me even more, is that if the shoe was on the other foot and Ga was current #1 and they lost to Bama at #5.....Ga would NOT be in the playoffs.

It's not about the best 4 teams IMO.

I believe the committee thinks they are putting the best teams in. I don't know if it is arrogant or just naive.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:56 pm

---

Pure Hubris ...

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:19 am

Ponder this...... if a school like Notre Dame, who has a Big Name although weak schedule this season, had UCF’s schedule for this or last season and went undefeated would the CFP Committee place them in the Top 4 in their rankings???

.......as for me, I believe it’s a certainty they would, just as it will be this season if the Irish go undefeated. If that is indeed the case, how in the world can I believe in this Strength of Schedule, Strength of Record, 13th Data Point, Eyeball Test or any other mysterious metric the Committee pulls out of their hat.

It could be it’s just not doable int today’s College Football environment to do it another way, but for goodness sakes, just say that.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:27 am

That is the whole point. The Central Committee's guideline has a subjective issue. They can choose whomever they want. Assume they are genuine...big assumption...they still can say, what matchups make the best game. They have a water cooler in the room although the Bolsheviks fill it with Vodka. I digress. You are absolutely right Mountainman. Some of this board argue that the committee should use SOS more and some argue that there shouldn't even be a mythical national crown.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:52 am

donovan wrote:That is the whole point. The Central Committee's guideline has a subjective issue. They can choose whomever they want. Assume they are genuine...big assumption...they still can say, what matchups make the best game. They have a water cooler in the room although the Bolsheviks fill it with Vodka. I digress. You are absolutely right Mountainman. Some of this board argue that the committee should use SOS more and some argue that there shouldn't even be a mythical national crown.

Yep, the subjective nature of the Committee is real, and much time is spent identifying and defending that subjectivity........ considering the purpose and objective of the Committee and the environment it operates in it may be the best alternative without changes to the environment. In any event, I believe the Committee has other purposes, such as generating a media and fan ‘buzz’........ :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:28 pm

I think the committee genuinely believes they are picking, if not the four best teams, four of the very best. They would absolutely pick an undefeated Notre Dame the UCF schedule. The wouldn’t even think twice. And yes they are hypocrites and also subject to the influence of the talking heads. So are we for that matter. It is hard not to be.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:23 am

Mountainman wrote:
donovan wrote:That is the whole point. The Central Committee's guideline has a subjective issue. They can choose whomever they want. Assume they are genuine...big assumption...they still can say, what matchups make the best game. They have a water cooler in the room although the Bolsheviks fill it with Vodka. I digress. You are absolutely right Mountainman. Some of this board argue that the committee should use SOS more and some argue that there shouldn't even be a mythical national crown.

Yep, the subjective nature of the Committee is real, and much time is spent identifying and defending that subjectivity........ considering the purpose and objective of the Committee and the environment it operates in it may be the best alternative without changes to the environment. In any event, I believe the Committee has other purposes, such as generating a media and fan ‘buzz’........ :wink:

No doubt that your SOS can also be determined by your school history/name (i.e. Notre Dame or Bama) 8) 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:20 pm

Derek that is a point that I believe more than the matchups. Schools try and line up a good school years in advance. The moment of truth comes and the "good" school is not doing so well and the school that made the deal if it is a "name" school suffers zip. If it is a school of a "lesser god" heaven help them. They are castigated more than if they had just played one of their own kind. Today with all of the mighty squeaking by, they will not suffer one iota.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “General Discussion”