Drivel About Week Ten

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

Re: Drivel About Week Ten

Postby Mountainman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:03 am

Spence wrote:They will get by TCU ok. Then the heavy lifting starts.
RT



Yep, TCU has always plays very good defense, but one of their best offensive players got himself dismissed from the team and their starting QB is injuried and out for the season so they’ve been have trouble driving the ball and scoring...... really looking forward to watching these returning linebacks I keep mentioning. The Mountaineers, if they’re going to have a shot at the Conference Title, are going to have to get the LB rotation going, Hell the walk-on, who has really done well and will remain in the rotation, played 75 snaps at the Mike LB spot last week, I believe it was. That’s a lot in any league, but you know how the Big XII likes to spread things out and tempo the hell out of opponents. And like you mentioned, there’s a bunch of Cowboys and Sooners this defense is going to have to chase around.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

User avatar
Derek
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 5507
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:04 am
Location: Brooks, GA
Contact:

Re: Drivel About Week Ten

Postby Derek » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:36 pm

I agree that UCF will declare themselves national champs....although I don't understand why. They had a little trouble with Temple.

If this team was in ANY of the Power 5, they would not be undefeated. Just look at that schedule.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

- John Madden

User avatar
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 8258
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:41 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Drivel About Week Ten

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:01 am

donovan wrote:Drivel About Week Ten

14. Clemson is a team that if they were so good, no one would care. Everyone loves Louisville because everyone thinks they pronounce it correctly, but they don’t. It’s Lewis Ville. I can read. Petrino needs to find a real estate agent.

.


I could put Miss Celo out of business...well, she already is out...but from now on I want $1.99 a minute for reading my predictions.

Image
As I age it is hard to tell if I am inspired by reasoned passion or arthritic knees; most likely it is arthritic reasoning.

User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 19257
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

Re: Drivel About Week Ten

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:37 pm

donovan wrote:
donovan wrote:Drivel About Week Ten

14. Clemson is a team that if they were so good, no one would care. Everyone loves Louisville because everyone thinks they pronounce it correctly, but they don’t. It’s Lewis Ville. I can read. Petrino needs to find a real estate agent.

.


I could put Miss Celo out of business...well, she already is out...but from now on I want $1.99 a minute for reading my predictions.

Image


You need to shorten your posts then. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

Re: Drivel About Week Ten

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:37 pm

donovan wrote:
donovan wrote:Drivel About Week Ten

14. Clemson is a team that if they were so good, no one would care. Everyone loves Louisville because everyone thinks they pronounce it correctly, but they don’t. It’s Lewis Ville. I can read. Petrino needs to find a real estate agent.

.


I could put Miss Celo out of business...well, she already is out...but from now on I want $1.99 a minute for reading my predictions.

Image



Well, appears to me she was sleeping on the job and that’s a dischargeable offense.... guess she didn’t see it coming. :P


.......on the other hand, you did straighten us out on who killed Kennedy. :wink:
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 3242
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: Drivel About Week Ten

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:03 pm

---

So, outside of the fact that I think we all saw it coming, this just adds to the conversation about teams not being very successful when you do not play sound defense.

You can get away with it if you play in a conference where almost nobody plays defense, such as the Big XII, or how the Pac-10 was from the early 2000's to the mid teens. But you wont get very far in conferences that play both sides of the ball well.

Petrino got away with it when he had Lamar Jackson as his quarterback. Even still, his defenses weren't good enough to compete nationally.

To show inept Petrino is, he got rid of his Defensive Coordinator from last year, by replacing him with Notre Dame's defensive Coordinator who got fired mid season a year ago, for not being able to create success.

I believe Spence coined the phrase best about Petrino a few years back, mentioning, "Petrino doesn't play defense, because he doesn't get it."

And that's right. He is incapable of understanding defensive strategies, and thinks it unimportant to the structure of a team. He wants a few good players that can stop the other guys once or twice, so he can score more points. But, he's also not a time of possession guy, either. He likes getting the ball back to score. Doesn't care if the other teams scores, so long as there's enough time to score again.

If Petrino would have hired a guy that really knew what defense is all about, and turned every aspect over to that guy, including the recruitment of defensive players, then Louisville might have had more wins.

Mike Leach is similar, to an extent. However, Leach also has a team that can control the pace of a game. Washington State had the ball for 40 minutes this past weekend. If you're going to spend most of the game with you're offense on the field, it should be because you aren't giving the ball back to the other team to score. And, unlike when Leach was in the Big XII, his team is actually okay on defense. Because Leach was willing to give the Defense over to a Coordinator that is competent.

.
.
.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ... and then it becomes regulation ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for one worthy soul:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy

Mountainman
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

Re: Drivel About Week Ten

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:---

So, outside of the fact that I think we all saw it coming, this just adds to the conversation about teams not being very successful when you do not play sound defense.

You can get away with it if you play in a conference where almost nobody plays defense, such as the Big XII, or how the Pac-10 was from the early 2000's to the mid teens. But you wont get very far in conferences that play both sides of the ball well.

Petrino got away with it when he had Lamar Jackson as his quarterback. Even still, his defenses weren't good enough to compete nationally.

To show inept Petrino is, he got rid of his Defensive Coordinator from last year, by replacing him with Notre Dame's defensive Coordinator who got fired mid season a year ago, for not being able to create success.

I believe Spence coined the phrase best about Petrino a few years back, mentioning, "Petrino doesn't play defense, because he doesn't get it."

And that's right. He is incapable of understanding defensive strategies, and thinks it unimportant to the structure of a team. He wants a few good players that can stop the other guys once or twice, so he can score more points. But, he's also not a time of possession guy, either. He likes getting the ball back to score. Doesn't care if the other teams scores, so long as there's enough time to score again.

If Petrino would have hired a guy that really knew what defense is all about, and turned every aspect over to that guy, including the recruitment of defensive players, then Louisville might have had more wins.

Mike Leach is similar, to an extent. However, Leach also has a team that can control the pace of a game. Washington State had the ball for 40 minutes this past weekend. If you're going to spend most of the game with you're offense on the field, it should be because you aren't giving the ball back to the other team to score. And, unlike when Leach was in the Big XII, his team is actually okay on defense. Because Leach was willing to give the Defense over to a Coordinator that is competent.

.
.
.



The bottom line to me is, offenses evolve and defenses adjust with alignment or retooling. It’s been that way since Notre Dame beat perennial powerhouse Army with the forward pass, and the difference between a good coach and a bad coach is the good coach realizes he must keep-up with those evolutions in all three phases of the game......
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

User avatar
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director
Posts: 3242
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 am
Location: South Bend, IN (domerville usa)
Contact:

Re: Drivel About Week Ten

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:47 pm

---

I believe there is something to be said for that, truly.

Though, I think there are 3 types of coaches in this regards. The good coach, who can change with the times. The Bad coach, who is incapable of change. Then there are the Petrino's of the world; the Oblivious coach, who simply is unaware that these changes are even happening.

.
.
.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ... and then it becomes regulation ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for one worthy soul:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy

User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 19257
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

Re: Drivel About Week Ten

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:08 pm

The bottom line to me is, offenses evolve and defenses adjust with alignment or retooling. It’s been that way since Notre Dame beat perennial powerhouse Army with the forward pass, and the difference between a good coach and a bad coach is the good coach realizes he must keep-up with those evolutions in all three phases of the game......



Exactly. But the great coaches understand that the right defense counters any great offense.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

Re: Drivel About Week Ten

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:24 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:---

I believe there is something to be said for that, truly.

Though, I think there are 3 types of coaches in this regards. The good coach, who can change with the times. The Bad coach, who is incapable of change. Then there are the Petrino's of the world; the Oblivious coach, who simply is unaware that these changes are even happening.

.
.
.



I’m always beating the Mountaineers’ drum, but I’ve been watching a young hot-shot, single-minded, offense only coach developing into a good coach for 7 years now.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

Mountainman
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

Re: Drivel About Week Ten

Postby Mountainman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:26 pm

Spence wrote:
The bottom line to me is, offenses evolve and defenses adjust with alignment or retooling. It’s been that way since Notre Dame beat perennial powerhouse Army with the forward pass, and the difference between a good coach and a bad coach is the good coach realizes he must keep-up with those evolutions in all three phases of the game......



Exactly. But the great coaches understand that the right defense counters any great offense.


What other reason would there be for offenses to evolve if that were not the case??? :wink:
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

User avatar
Spence
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 19257
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:52 pm
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio (Ohio's First Capital)
Contact:

Re: Drivel About Week Ten

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Yep.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mountainman and 7 guests