DJ Durkin Reinstated as.......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

DJ Durkin Reinstated as.......

Postby Mountainman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:15 am

........Head Football Coach at Maryland. Reportedly, some players walked out after the announcement and some in the media have gone ballistic on the reinstatement, the Board of Regents, and the University’s President. Some in the media are urging the Maryland players to boycott the Terps upcoming games.

.......it appears, from the articles I read, it’s the same reporters who were calling for Urban Meyer’s job earlier this season. The curious thing to me is that both investigations, the Meyer and Durkin, the findings were contrary to the reporting in the media reports I read, and the decisions reached based on those investigations by the authorities who govern and are the decision-makers for the universities are being criticized and challenged by the same media.

So, I wonder, in both cases, what’s driving the differences between the two groups????
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: DJ Durkin Reinstated as.......

Postby donovan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:46 am

When man never really bites the dog, then make it up. That is what ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, KGB, FOX, CNN, MNBC, KFC, CIA, and WKRP Cincinnati, does...well Les didn't.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:20 pm

donovan wrote:When man never really bites the dog, then make it up. That is what ABC, NBC, CBS, ESPN, KGB, FOX, CNN, MNBC, KFC, CIA, and WKRP Cincinnati, does...well Les didn't.

Man...... that’s a scary bunch you got there. :evil: :shock:

........imagine how you might feel if you were sitting in a courtroom after being accused of a crime you know you didn’t commit and you look over at the jury box and that bunch is in it and whispering, “....you know he must have did it or he wouldn’t be here.”
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:22 pm

Report says Governor of Maryland intervenes....... Durkin fired.

Update Edit:

Unnamed state level legislators and state federal level Congressional Leaders also intervened.
Last edited by Mountainman on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:34 pm

First the verdict, then the trial.

I just read news reports about all of this. This is a prime example of castrated College Presidents. He thinks the coach should be fired. (I have no opinion.) The regents want to keep the coach but they can only fire the President. So they say to Balless President, retain the coach or we will fire you, immediately. President says, "I have no balls. Okay."

And the Regents are all politically appointed...

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:49 pm

donovan wrote:First the verdict, then the trial.

A Wonderland Moment indeed......It is thought provoking that after an investigation into what actually happen was released to see the range of perspectives and judgements of the school administrators, the public, the media, and the political.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:06 pm

I don't know what the investigation of the program found and I tend not to believe much of what is reported in the national media on issues like this so I won't comment on the moral or ethical concerns here or try to assign blame without really knowing the story. Obviously there was more than we know for him to be reinstated and then fired. What I said, from the start of this is how can they keep him? The business of cfb says you have to recruit. You have to go into young men's homes and promise them and their parents that you will look out for their son. I don't know how Durkin does that ever again with any team. Even if he had nothing to do with what happened. I know the head coach is ultimately responsible but if the strength coach is spotting a kid on the bench and walks away for a minute and something happens and the player is killed is that the head coaches fault? It really isn't, but the head coach has to still recruit. He is the public face of the program and he has to convince parents he can mentor their kids and look out for them. I think whether it is justified or not justified (and I don't really know the whole story) that Durkin is done, not only as a head coach, but as a coach period. Maybe he can work for an NFL team as a position coach, but never in a situation where he has to recruit.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:53 am

News reports this morning say Durkin not fired, instead, yesterday at the end of first practice Durkin attended after his reinstatement, the ‘university’ informed him they had decided to buy out the his contract.......... also the University President announced his own resignation.

.........too bad that the university president doesn’t have any ‘balls’ to pickup and take home with him.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:34 am

Mountainman wrote:News reports this morning say Durkin not fired, instead, yesterday at the end of first practice Durkin attended after his reinstatement, the ‘university’ informed him they had decided to buy out the his contract.......... also the University President announced his own resignation.

.........too bad that the university president doesn’t have any ‘balls’ to pickup and take home with him.

If the President resigned and he wanted him fired, he did the only thing he could have done in the situation. Buying out his contract just means the university doesn't think they have the evidence to fire him with cause. If they don't, then that may be something Durkin can hang his hat on when looking for another job. I still think it would be next to impossible for him to coach in college again. A kid died on his watch. He died as a direct result of something a coach on his staff did while on site. Even if it were proven that Durkin didn't have a clue what was going on, it is going to be tough to escape the shadow of what happened.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:53 am

What a fiasco. Now we will see if the Governor has testicular issues. Without knowing any of the specifics other than what I quickly read, interview every regent, find out their position and fire them immediately if they put football over anything.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:06 am

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:News reports this morning say Durkin not fired, instead, yesterday at the end of first practice Durkin attended after his reinstatement, the ‘university’ informed him they had decided to buy out the his contract.......... also the University President announced his own resignation.

If the President resigned and he wanted him fired, he did the only thing he could have done in the situation. Buying out his contract just means the university doesn't think they have the evidence to fire him with cause. If they don't, then that may be something Durkin can hang his hat on when looking for another job. I still think it would be next to impossible for him to coach in college again. A kid died on his watch. He died as a direct result of something a coach on his staff did while on site. Even if it were proven that Durkin didn't have a clue what was going on, it is going to be tough to escape the shadow of what happened.

Yep, for sure....... once the president publicly bucked the board of regents decision to reinstate his days were numbered.

Cannot help but wonder why the Board of Regents decided to reinstate after receiving the investigation report, as opposed to simply saying, ‘buy out Durkin’s contract’. :?

There’s something about this I don’t understand....... but, there’s a lot of that going around. 8)

Hell, it’s becoming clearer it’s no wonder these college coaches are demanding what on the surface appears to be absurd dollar amounts and buyout provisions in their contracts........ AND why universities are more than willing to pay the dollars and guarantee to buyouts.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:39 am

donovan wrote:What a fiasco. Now we will see if the Governor has testicular issues. Without knowing any of the specifics other than what I quickly read, interview every regent, find out their position and fire them immediately if they put football over anything.

Maybe the University of Maryland should consider eliminating their football program, since they’ve demonstrated they cannot manage it correctly........ ahhhhh, but then ESPN would be kicking down Jim Delany’s door and then Jim Delaney would be knocking down walls at the University of Maryland, because there’re a lot of TV sets in the Baltimore/Washington DC Metroplex. :wink:

..........oh what tangled webs we weave.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:18 pm

Mountainman wrote:

Yep, for sure....... once the president publicly bucked the board of regents decision to reinstate his days were numbered.

Cannot help but wonder why the Board of Regents decided to reinstate after receiving the investigation report, as opposed to simply saying, ‘buy out Durkin’s contract’. :?

That is the $25,000 question. It makes no sense on the surface. Unless the regents decided to reinstate him and then fire him later for losing control of his program - which from the way the players seem to be reacting could be true. That would have saved them the money. That would have been more a board room decision without considering public reaction. Although, It would be hard for people who have made it to that level would not consider public reaction.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:15 pm

The big question is my Maryland pick this weekend over Michigan State....hmm.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:20 pm

Here’s another phenomenon I saw during this saga....... I see where today, 1 day after his demise, there are articles out by the very same media who were vilifying, condemning and burning Durkin at the stake BEFORE the investigation was initiated or completed or presented, with predictions of coaches who could be his replacement at Maryland.

I suppose once you burn someone at the stake, there’s no reason to take time to reflect or have a funeral or dig a hole to put him in....... just sit back and enjoy while watching his ashes being blown away by the wind.

Return to “General Discussion”