DJ Durkin Reinstated as.......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: DJ Durkin Reinstated as.......

Postby Mountainman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:38 pm

donovan wrote:The big question is my Maryland pick this weekend over Michigan State....hmm.

Ha,ha,ha....... there was a quote by one of the players about him not being able to understand why all these people are taking such an interest in the Maryland Football Program now, since according to him the stadium hasn’t been half full all year. :shock:

Good Lord........ concussion protocol maybe????

.......btw, Ball State was no match for Toledo last night. :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:14 pm

Mountainman wrote:Here’s another phenomenon I saw during this saga....... I see where today, 1 day after his demise, there are articles out by the very same media who were vilifying, condemning and burning Durkin at the stake BEFORE the investigation was initiated or completed or presented, with predictions of coaches who could be his replacement at Maryland.

I suppose once you burn someone at the stake, there’s no reason to take time to reflect or have a funeral or dig a hole to put him in....... just sit back and enjoy while watching his ashes being blown away by the wind.

To the media he is old news.

Donovan, I'm not sure Maryland was a good pick before this happened. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:08 pm

Chairman of Maryland’s Board of Regents resigns.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Just as Durkin was the face of the football team and could not remain because of public perception (right or wrong, because I really don't know if we will ever know) Brady couldn't remain either. The university runs mainly from support by donors and alumni and you can't have a leader who is perceived to have put the football program over a players life. So he had to be done too.

No matter what the truth is, a kid died as a direct result of something a coach let happen and trainers turned a blind eye too. I am a coach and I can't imagine any scenario that I would be able to continue if one of my kids died with me in charge. I have had kids get too hot and have to shut them down. I could see it escalating very quickly if and if you didn't notice or the trainer didn't notice it could be really bad.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:23 pm

If anything, what’s been demonstrated, illustrated and discussed here are the failed processes at the University of Maryland. I have yet to see where anything by anybody, including those outside of the university, that has been done correctly. It’s a very bad and tragic circumstance that was made even worse by stupid FN people.

........btw, Temple is giving UCF a real challenge. 34 - 28 Temple at the half.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:04 pm

Mountainman wrote:If anything, what’s been demonstrated, illustrated and discussed here are the failed processes at the University of Maryland. I have yet to see where anything by anybody, including those outside of the university, that has been done correctly. It’s a very bad and tragic circumstance that was made even worse by stupid FN people.

Absolutely. I'm not sure anyone involved considered that A PLAYER DIED. That seems to me to be the primary thing UofMarylad seems to have not considered when looking at the big picture. The university admitted when it happened that they were at fault. Then they decided not to burn down they major players involved. I don't believe that the coaches believed they would cause a death with their tactics, but that is irrelivent because that is what happened. The Regents and the president above all else have to figure in the public reaction and make their decision accordingly. I can't believe they didn't think that they could make the decision to keep the head coach and not be prepared to deal with the backlash that was coming or that they believed their head coach could come back and continue to build a program carrying the baggage he is carrying- That is the biggest problem here other than someone caused a football player's death.

And the CAPS were meant for the regents who, I think, need them.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:06 pm

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:If anything, what’s been demonstrated, illustrated and discussed here are the failed processes at the University of Maryland. I have yet to see where anything by anybody, including those outside of the university, that has been done correctly. It’s a very bad and tragic circumstance that was made even worse by stupid FN people.

Absolutely. I'm not sure anyone involved considered that A PLAYER DIED. That seems to me to be the primary thing UofMarylad seems to have not considered when looking at the big picture. The university admitted when it happened that they were at fault. Then they decided not to burn down they major players involved. I don't believe that the coaches believed they would cause a death with their tactics, but that is irrelivent because that is what happened. The Regents and the president above all else have to figure in the public reaction and make their decision accordingly. I can't believe they didn't think that they could make the decision to keep the head coach and not be prepared to deal with the backlash that was coming or that they believed their head coach could come back and continue to build a program carrying the baggage he is carrying- That is the biggest problem here other than someone caused a football player's death.

And the CAPS were meant for the regents who, I think, need them.

You darn right it’s ABSOLUTELY........ based on what’s been reported let’s look at those involved.

1 - Strength and Conditioning Coach - incompetent or crazy

2 - Training Staff - incompetent

3 - Head Football Coach - dereliction of duty

4 - Assistant Coaches - dereliction of duty

5 - Athletic Director - incompetent and dereliction of duty

6 - University President - reinstates Head Football Coach, then the next day buys out Head Football Coach’s Contract and removes him, NOT BECAUSE OF WHAT HAPPENED, but because of social, financial and political outcries..... as he sneaks out the backdoor in a few months.

7 - Board of Regents - conducts fact finding investigation, concludes many things wrong, creates plan to identify, monitor and correct AND THEN RECOMMENDS HEAD FOOTBALL COACH TO BE REINSTATED TO HELP IMPLIMENT THE PLAN.

........and that, my fellow colleagues, is how I arrived at my position. :(

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:58 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/c ... story.html

..........this is my last post on this, I read this article earlier, before I went ballistic on the administration at Maryland from top to bottom. Went I read where the previous Athletic Director made this recommendation in acknowledgement of NCAA guidelines and then that Loh rejected it, it was a little more than I could take at the time..... especially Loh’s quoted reasoning for not doing it. No d-a-m-n wonder he came out after the fact and said ‘we are morally and financially responsible’.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:49 am

I hadn't seen this before so I can see where the President would have to except some responsibility too. At the end of the day the trainers still should have did their job, even if the coaches got in their way. Ohio State has moved control from the Athletic dept to the medical department, but that still falls under the president's jurisdiction. Depending on how much power the coach has, I can see how this could be abused in the same fashion. At Ohio State right now coaches have no ability to "weigh in" on medical decisions, but that is a decision the school has made, not one that that couldn't be abused by the same school because they wanted to abuse it. It appears to me that the AD wanted it completely out of the school's control. It would be interesting to know exactly why that was the case. The answer to that question, to me, would go a long way in explaining why this kid ended up dead.

Return to “General Discussion”