Bosa's Departure Brings "That" Up

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Bosa's Departure Brings "That" Up

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:32 am

/

I knew this is where the media was going to go with this. The moment they started talking about Bosa making a "Business Decision" to leave the team mid season, so that he would be able to focus on his nfl future.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/280 ... e-football

Here's the problem with this sort of thinking ~ Bosa is protecting his potential high first round draft status.

There are only 32 teams in the nfl. That means only 32 players who would get Guaranteed Money, from the first round pick. Even still, only about the top 7 picks are getting $30+ million in signing bonus.

So paying players in College Football to prevent them from taking the early draft route is pretty ridiculous. Especially when you consider the number of teams in College Football, that once the skill position players are dispersed across the country, it really won't make that much of an impact. Teams in College will always adjust to the next phase, by recruiting methods. And with the new Red Shirt rules, this only opens the doors for recruits to play 4 games, then take over early if one of the starters chooses to leave in season.

Mind you, this is going to be such a small percentage of players doing this, anyway. Because, Bosa has achieved as much as he is going to in an effort to build a resume for a professional career.

There won't be quite so many NFL prospects that will be able to say the same thing, until season's end.

Now, if this were to mean that some of Alabama's players start leaving early, because they are projected as top draft picks, then great. That only helps the rest of the College Football world catch up with them on a yearly bases. :mrgreen:

And let's be real for a minute --- the truth is, the Power5 Conferences want to put a dividing line between themselves and the Group of 5 conferences.

Paying players would be the nail in the coffin for the Group of 5 schools, as they would not be able to afford as much. Some of these schools are hanging on by the threads, trying to keep pace with what they have. If they were to need larger Player Gratuities, they would be unable to keep their heads above water.

In esse, say good bye to the FBS Group of 5 and Midmajor Independents. And watch as the Power5 create a new division in College Football that would separate them from the rest. Playing only each other.

The Boise State's and UCF's of the world disappear into a smaller forgotten about division, similar to the FCS.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bosa's Departure Brings "That" Up

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:59 am

He didn't decided it wasn't worth it to come back. He decided it wasn't worth the chance of rushing it back to play one to possibly 3 games and mess up his draft status. If the doctor would have told him he was 100% cleared to play, he would have come back. The earliest he could have come back was two weeks from now. When he went to evaluate the injury with the doctor, the doctor said his best chance to have complete recovery was to not play this season. He took the doctor's advice. I don't blame him. He is the potential number one pick. This isn't a kid who is completely healthy deciding not to play and hold his self out for the draft. Under these circumstances, coming back can only hurt him. There is no scenario where coming back is better than him not coming back. If he was my kid, I would tell him not to come back either - even if they are being paid in school.

This is a reporter using Nick Bosa to legitimize his story by disregarding the actual truth to support his conclusion. - which is all to common in today's media.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:50 am

Using my razor sharp Hillbilly Logic, I would venture to say that the reasoning behind Bosa’s decision to leave Ohio State is the very same reasoning he used when deciding to play football at Ohio State.........and btw, it’s the very same logic Will Greer, who was also mentioned in the article, is using.

Which is, IMHO, the same logic the guy writing the article would use if the same or similar potentials or opportunities were available to him. If the author would happened to take the position that my Hillbilly Logic is incorrect, hopefully he would be willing to offer his reasoning about why he decided to move on from his high school newspaper.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:26 pm

Mountainman wrote:Using my razor sharp Hillbilly Logic, I would venture to say that the reasoning behind Bosa’s decision to leave Ohio State is the very same reasoning he used when deciding to play football at Ohio State.........and btw, it’s the very same logic Will Greer, who was also mentioned in the article, is using.

Which is, IMHO, the same logic the guy writing the article would use if the same or similar potentials or opportunities were available to him. If the author would happened to take the position that my Hillbilly Logic is incorrect, hopefully he would be willing to offer his reasoning about why he decided to move on from his high school newspaper.

Exactly. He writes as if Bosa would have stayed if he was being paid. Not true at all.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:33 pm

/

Yes, and I would have publicly disagreed with him on this issue by posting my thoughts in this article's comments section.

However, to do so, you need to log in to facebook to have your say so.

I do not have a facebook account, because I do not want one. And this idiot's deliberate misinterpretation is not reason enough for me to create one.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:22 pm

I’ll give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he’s not aware of the testimony coming out of New York about the FBI investigation into College Basketball....... maybe if he were to become aware he just might reconsider his position and his ‘solution’.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:37 pm

These stories only become issues because colleges have allowed football to be a minor league into the NFL.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:38 pm

donovan wrote:These stories only become issues because colleges have allowed football to be a minor league into the NFL.

Oh, that’s a point of view of interest. In the parlance of a hillbilly, who currently believes you’ve got the right shoes on the wrong feet, help me understand your thoughts. 8)

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:27 pm

Mountainman wrote:
donovan wrote:These stories only become issues because colleges have allowed football to be a minor league into the NFL.

Oh, that’s a point of view of interest. In the parlance of a hillbilly, who currently believes you’ve got the right shoes on the wrong feet, help me understand your thoughts. 8)

I am not sure I can. Colleges and Universities have historically educated in a broad and specific spectrum; majors and minors. The end result is credentialing, diploma, that indicates a proficiency in designated areas. Extracurricular activities are enhancements to the all-around educational experience. That is the traditional concept...doesn't make it correct or as it should be.

Football can be a professional occupation. At the NFL level their labor force comes from the physically matured, (vast evidence socially matured is not even considered) and those that have developed an understanding of the game, though some would argue bigger, faster, stronger is the only real criteria. The occupation pays salaries far beyond any norm, and that is fine.

Baseball has farm teams to develop, mature, etc. The majors pay for that system. The NFL uses colleges and they pay nothing, and to a great extent disrupt the traditionally accepted purpose of a university. And because of the scrotum empty Presidents have reveled in the monetary benefit of college football, they have been willing to sell the integrity of the school for a very expensive mess of pottage.

The NCAA, the organization the Eunuch's hired, do not represent the college players but facilitate the whims of Professional football.

Or, in what maybe be Hillbilly terms, not sure. Hire the fox to watch the henhouse.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:23 pm

donovan wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

I am not sure I can. Colleges and Universities have historically educated in a broad and specific spectrum; majors and minors. The end result is credentialing, diploma, that indicates a proficiency in designated areas. Extracurricular activities are enhancements to the all-around educational experience. That is the traditional concept...doesn't make it correct or as it should be.

Football can be a professional occupation. At the NFL level their labor force comes from the physically matured, (vast evidence socially matured is not even considered) and those that have developed an understanding of the game, though some would argue bigger, faster, stronger is the only real criteria. The occupation pays salaries far beyond any norm, and that is fine.

Baseball has farm teams to develop, mature, etc. The majors pay for that system. The NFL uses colleges and they pay nothing, and to a great extent disrupt the traditionally accepted purpose of a university. And because of the scrotum empty Presidents have reveled in the monetary benefit of college football, they have been willing to sell the integrity of the school for a very expensive mess of pottage.

The NCAA, the organization the Eunuch's hired, do not represent the college players but facilitate the whims of Professional football.

Or, in what maybe be Hillbilly terms, not sure. Hire the fox to watch the henhouse.

DAG-GUM....... this guy has got potential!!! Being a hillbilly myself, I know one when I see one. I also know two things when I go to the henhouse where there’re numerous chickens and discover eggs in a nest. First is that chickens lay eggs, and second, is that the chickens came before the eggs..... what I don’t know is which chickens laid which eggs. This much is certain, if I find there’s no chickens and no eggs in the henhouse, there’s a fox in there somewhere, I’m just not sure where the fox is or how many are in there.

Maybe, between us, we’ll get together sometime, pull a cork, and figure it all out. :wink:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:58 pm

/

This is not secluded to Football at the Collegiate level ... heck, it's not even exclusive to College Sports.

Universities use their Theater Students in much the same way. --- true, the incoming revenue is nowhere near the box of the Arena gate from sports. However, a nationally accredited Theatrical Performance, can bring in prestige, alumni donations, grants and state funding gratuities. It is also something the school can use as a promotional tool, as a means of attracting potential Theater Major enrollments. However, virtually none of those student are going to receive scholarships that will cover all of their costs. Some may earn Academic Scholarships, but those are almost hardly enough to cover the costs of two class hours.

Here's the thing. None of these students are paid to appear in these performances. They are required to be there as part of their curriculum, and counts as part of their grade. They are not just the cast in the performance, but the background stage hands [moving parts during play], production assistants. They manage the lights & music arrangements, as well as have a part in costume design, set coordination and promoting/advertisement across campus & in the community.

Then, there is the faculty, who suggest to their Theater Majors, that they should take a minor in something that does not involve Performance Art, since there is such a slim chance to become a professional in that field.

Same can be said for many internship programs. If an intern is not being paid while working for a company, he or she is said to be compensated by their on site experience. A bunch of these internship programs, are tied directly to their relationship with the Universities these students attended, in which the University gets some kick backs, while the former student still has Student Debt loans and living costs.

It's easy to point fingers at the Athletics Department, because they can make millions of dollars ... read that closely ... they Can make millions of dollars.

Their are major Athletic Programs who do just that. And then their are some, who would like to believe they can do it, but are operating in the red.

Take UAB for instance. Just a few years back, they had to close down their football program, because they were losing money. The school promised to honor the scholarships of the players who were on the team. Of course they were happy to let players transfer if they could find other schools that would take them. But they could function without losing too much money.

It took private funding & Alumnus donations to bring their football program back.

When you stop putting the spotlight on the Major Universities' Sports Programs, you'll realize there aren't many out there who aren't trying to take advantage of every student, regardless of the major/minor they are attributed to.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:58 pm

I think lots of coaches look out for their players. But I also agree that the NCAA and school administration exploit the players. I just don't believe if it a fox in the hen house. I think the farmer is in there stealing all the eggs he can from the chickens and throwing them just enough scratch to make them think it is a good deal.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:57 pm

Spence wrote:I think lots of coaches look out for their players. But I also agree that the NCAA and school administration exploit the players. I just don't believe if it a fox in the hen house. I think the farmer is in there stealing all the eggs he can from the chickens and throwing them just enough scratch to make them think it is a good deal.

I think this is absolutely correct. There are just more foxes than chickens.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:38 am

So, after all, I agreed with Cane’s position that, “.....paying players in College Football to prevent them from taking the early draft route is pretty ridiculous”.

Or in the parlance of a hillbilly, Matt Hayes is barking up the wrong tree, cause it ain’t too smart to sell your mule to buy a plow. 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:25 am

I agree that paying players is never going to make them stay. I don’t have a problem with them getting a little bit of extra money considering they aren’t allowed to work a job, but no matter what they do, the kids who can move to the NFL are going to move. It would be tough for anyone to fault them for it if we looked at it from their point of view.

Return to “General Discussion”