Shake-Up Saturday Thoughts...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Shake-Up Saturday Thoughts...

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:51 pm

Well, about two or so weeks until CFP rankings. WVU, Miami, Penn State, Georgia, etc. might have opened the doors. Where will UCF, Texas, Notre Dame, etc. climb to?

Thoughts?

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Shake-Up Saturday Thoughts...

Postby donovan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:09 pm

If you are talking about BCS rankings, then they will be right where the committee wants them to be, TV $$$....So I guess if all stays equal the money game is Notre Dame v Alabama.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:18 pm

I thought BCS rankings were done. The polls and computers were done once the committee was formed. Do they still call it the Bowl Championship Series? I thought BCS was from 1999-2014, then the CFP committee was formed. I thought it was like 12 people that formed the committee.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ome-oct-30

I will say all Big XII teams have one loss. Will the conference have a team in the CFP?

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:55 pm

/

Yes, it's just the Playoff committee now --- I think Donovan was just being facetious --- or curmudgeon, sometimes I cannot tell which.

Notre Dame will no doubt be in the top 4, as of right now. As long as they win out, they will be in the playoff.

LSU may have just knocked the possibility for 2 SEC teams getting a spot, out of the equation.

Texas should be about 6th ... but, they were AP 9th, and 4 teams in front of them lost. Texas is a money school, so they may very well be 5th.

Nobody wants to believe in UCF ... or, at least nobody with a vote. They'll be in the top 10, for now. The committee may put them at 11th in their initial poll -- I would put them at 8th -- but again, I do not have a vote.

The true beneficiary of today's insanity could quite possibly be NC State. On a day where ranked teams seemingly took a powder, the Wolfpack had the day off --- NC State is undefeated and has a game vs Clemson next week who will be #2 in the media projections --- to win this game would mean a jump into the top 8, almost assuredly.

West Virginia & Washington did nothing more than give the media and playoff committee ammunition to exclude their conferences from the tournament. The only chance the Pac-12 & Big XII have now, is for Texas and Colorado to state their cases.

I suppose if Oklahoma were to beat Texas in the Big XII Championship Game, then they could make a claim. The Sooners would basically have o.5 loss in that scenario.

And before anyone mentions USF ... they would have to beat UCF to get into the conversation. Which means, one of these teams will cut the other out of the New Year's 6 Bowls --- that goes for Cincinnati as well --- all three of these teams are in the same conference and play each other regular season. So they will ruin each others' chances.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:00 am

Looking at current standings and remaining schedules I’d guess it’ll be Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and Notre Dame.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:02 am

Oh, got ya Donovan...

On another board, people are calling for Gus M.'s head at Auburn. I thought the season was kinda just going through the motions. Now, one Saturday changes that.

And now the ACC is getting interesting with UVA beating Miami. And Duke is 5-1.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:37 am

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:Oh, got ya Donovan...

On another board, people are calling for Gus M.'s head at Auburn. I thought the season was kinda just going through the motions. Now, one Saturday changes that.

And now the ACC is getting interesting with UVA beating Miami. And Duke is 5-1.

Yep, they even wrote up an article on it.

Just check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11720

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:39 am

/

Well, USC knocked Colorado out of the playoff picture.

The Pac-12's last hope may be on Oregon now.

Cane... [__]

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:16 am

I was watching the top 25 countdown the other night on ESPN. They were discussing which would happen. A two loss team or three undefeated teams in the playoff? I haven't totally looked at and studied the conference standings. Looks like the PAC 12 and BIG XII might be out of this thing now. If Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Notre Dame take care of business.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:24 am

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:I was watching the top 25 countdown the other night on ESPN. They were discussing which would happen. A two loss team or three undefeated teams in the playoff? I haven't totally looked at and studied the conference standings. Looks like the PAC 12 and BIG XII might be out of this thing now. If Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Notre Dame take care of business.

Pay attention to ESPN. The Committee wants TV ratings and ESPN dictates that. They make the market. As the vast majority of people watching football are not fans, as in fanatic, they believe the marketing of who is best so it is easy to jump on the popular bandwagon. After all, the day after the game they are off to whatever else is 'camp' at the moment.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:26 am

Mountainman wrote:Looking at current standings and remaining schedules I’d guess it’ll be Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and Notre Dame.

It won’t be Ohio State. They have no defense. The offensive line can’t run block. Ohio State will lose 2 games in the big ten. As much as I hate to say it, this may be the year Jim Harbaugh gets his team in the playoff.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:48 am

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Looking at current standings and remaining schedules I’d guess it’ll be Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and Notre Dame.

It won’t be Ohio State. They have no defense. The offensive line can’t run block. Ohio State will lose 2 games in the big ten. As much as I hate to say it, this may be the year Jim Harbaugh gets his team in the playoff.

You know the Buckeyes and their remaining opponents far better than I do....... the Buckeyes have Michigan, Alabama has LSU and MSU, Clemson has N.C. State and Notre Dame has Southern Cal as pretty good opponents. BUT...... as the Mountaineers demonstrated last night, UGLY FOOTBALL WILL GET YOUR A-S-S KICKED. :oops:
Last edited by Mountainman on Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:20 am

I’m not sure Ohio State can beat Michigan State either. Ohio State’s linebackers can’t physically match up with big backs. It isn’t a matter of getting better. They just don’t have the physical ability to hang. It wasn’t more apparent than yesterday and I don’t believe a team that doesn’t play defense can win in the playoff. I would like to believe a team that can’t play defense can win the Big Ten. I can’t sit here this morning and say “ if they can fix this...” because I don’t believe they have the horses in the back seven. Especially at lb. Bosa going down made this really evident.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”