Week 4 Gibberish

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Week 4 Gibberish

Postby donovan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:10 am

Week 4 Gibberish

1. Heading the ‘who cares’ item, Boise State has a bye and could watch Texas Tech crush Oklahoma State who crushed them the week before.

2. The announcers kept talking about Oregon’s Mario Cristobal playing to win instead of playing to not lose. What game were they watching?

3. UCF beat Lane Kiffin. Best reason to like UCF they were the 2017 National Champions. Just ask them.

4. Oregon State is so irrelevant

5. Old Dominion, the most military-friendly school in the nation, and that is good, defeats Virginia Tech and from what I saw, flat out, out played them.

6. Florida State loses three fumbles which give Northern Illinois their best offensive plays.

7. Lump them all together, the SEC is in their own word. Week by week teams are eliminated to play Alabama in the ‘mythical who cares Southern Championship’ sometimes misnomered a National Championship when secretly they are thinking International. Universal is not out of their minds, but step by step…I think I am digressing.

8. The ACC, hmm, see six and flip the verbs. Tough week.

9. A TCU loss always warms the cockroaches of my heart. Next to Texas A & M and Oregon, worst sportsmanship teams in football.

10. I think Notre Dame has a new starting QB.

11. The teams of the ‘lesser god’ have done very well against the Gogs and Magogs.

12. Leach, one coach I do like, what were you thinking?

13. Washington squeaks pass Arizona. Petersen still shows no emotion. Washington can beat Stanford for reason I will reveal later.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Week 4 Gibberish

Postby highfly24 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Might add a couple Big 10 tidbits. Wisconsin with a good win over Iowa and effectively eliminates everyone not named Ohio State. Dont think Iowa had a good shot but its zero now. And in the wow this team is irrelevant, Nebraska lost again, and badly. I wonder if Frost knew what he was getting into? Does the fanbase have enough love for the former QB to give him time to try and fix this?

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:37 pm

/

Meanwhile, UCF continues on as if Frost was never there.

If you didn't see the game, Miami had a pretty decent showing. Malik Rosier started as the QB, but after two series of no productivity, Richt made the switch and put in N'Kosi Perry.

Miami went on to score 31 points.

The defense had a shutout going until near the end of the 4th quarter. Richt began rotating in the 3 deep roster, which is when the `Canes gave up 17 --- there was an onside kick that turned into quick points for FIU with just about 2 minutes on the clock --- so the score does not reflect the way the game went.

It looks as though Miami & Notre Dame have both turned the page on their quarterback situations. I'm sure the coaches will play coy, giving diplomatic pc responses when the media asks the questions. But, at the end of the day, you simply have to play the guy who is most likely to win you the game ... See Alabama.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:15 pm

highfly24 wrote:Might add a couple Big 10 tidbits. Wisconsin with a good win over Iowa and effectively eliminates everyone not named Ohio State. Dont think Iowa had a good shot but its zero now. And in the wow this team is irrelevant, Nebraska lost again, and badly. I wonder if Frost knew what he was getting into? Does the fanbase have enough love for the former QB to give him time to try and fix this?

Penn State is as in it as anyone. Penn State has some defensive problems, so does Ohio State. Going into the white out at night I would rather have a stout defense. Haskins has played well. He does rush the ball when pressured though and it he doesn't remain calm in eye of storm in Happy Valley that is going to be a problem. Ohio State won't have Baby Bosa because of surgery but. the Dline is still very good without him. The DB's are playing better for the most part. The linebackers are what worries me. There is a soft belly behind that defensive line that a veteran QB would love to pick apart. Penn State has just that veteran QB. The Buckeye offense is going to have respond in kind and take care of the football. I don't think they can afford to have even 1 turn over.

I absolutely agree with Donovan on point @2. No one on the Oregon team was playing to win in the 4th quarter. Even so Cristobal could have all but wrap it up at the end and he decided to risk the game.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:34 pm

Well, the Hokies giving up 600 yards to a winless ODU team.
I wonder if Nebraska misses Frank Solich. I mean they have been through some bad and not so good seasons. This 0-3 start shoes it.
I wonder if Les Miles will coach again. I think UNC could use a coach. Where else could he go if he decided to come back to the sidelines?
I think LSU was a 16.5 favorite over Louisiana Tech. Even though I teased it, I thought that was close. I figured that LSU would win big.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:30 am

Well...I am at that place where I look for moral victories where I can find them...rush defense looked good. Maybe a little sop after having to watch a very bad offensive line almost get the QB killed again this year.

FSU did hold NIU to 6 yards rushing in the game.....NIU finally gave up their rush and just began flinging the ball here and there.

I also liked the emphasis on old school tackling...hit them hard, very hard. Player after NIU player was slow getting up. The RB's weren't just tackled, they were knocked back.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:47 am

Good fundamentals is how you start back.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:14 pm

Spence wrote:Good fundamentals are how you start back.

Good advice for most everything in life.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:51 pm

donovan wrote:

Yep. It all goes back to the basics.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:06 am

/
collegefbfan-8898 wrote:Well, the Hokies giving up 600 yards to a winless ODU team.

Things don't look like they're getting better for the Hokies.

Virginia Tech head coach Justin Fuente announced Sunday the dismissal of Jr DE Trevon Hill from the program for failing to uphold team standards.

Justin Fuente: "After consultation with our coaching staff and administration at Virginia Tech, Trevon Hill has been dismissed from the football team effective immediately for not upholding the high standards that we have for our student-athletes at Virginia Tech. I will always put the interests of Virginia Tech and our team first no matter how difficult those decisions may be."

Trevon Hill is [was] the most veteran player on the Virginia Tech defense with the most starts of any returning player. This season, Hill led the Hokies in tackles for loss, quarter back pressure from the line of scrimmage, D-line pass deflections and had recorded 3.5 sacks.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:12 am

With coaches coming under fire for actions of staff and players and not taking some kind of action, you will see a lot less tolerance for all kinds of heretofore pooh-poohed behavior.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:36 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:/
collegefbfan-8898 wrote:Well, the Hokies giving up 600 yards to a winless ODU team.

Things don't look like they're getting better for the Hokies.

Virginia Tech head coach Justin Fuente announced Sunday the dismissal of Jr DE Trevon Hill from the program for failing to uphold team standards.

Justin Fuente: "After consultation with our coaching staff and administration at Virginia Tech, Trevon Hill has been dismissed from the football team effective immediately for not upholding the high standards that we have for our student-athletes at Virginia Tech. I will always put the interests of Virginia Tech and our team first no matter how difficult those decisions may be."

Trevon Hill is [was] the most veteran player on the Virginia Tech defense with the most starts of any returning player. This season, Hill led the Hokies in tackles for loss, quarter back pressure from the line of scrimmage, D-line pass deflections and had recorded 3.5 sacks.

If I recall correctly VaTech lost 3 defensive backs pre-season for various reasons, and now this, in addition to losing their starting QB last weekend during the Old Dominion game to a broken leg.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:56 am

Spence wrote:
donovan wrote:

Yep. It all goes back to the basics.

.........it sure is tempting to dive into this, but I won’t. I’ll just say, like young football players, it pretty obvious to me that many folks don’t know there even are ‘Good fundamentals’ and ‘basics’ in life.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:04 pm

I love gibberish....... speaking of which, while trying to decided which teams to pick in this week’s ‘Picks’ I took pause at the Norte Dame vs Stanford game, so while doing at little research I took a look at the schedules so far this season of each........ seeing Norte Dames schedule for the remainder of the season, and based on what I’ve seen so far from their remaining opponents, if the Irish beat Stanford this weekend they’ll have an excellent shot at an undefeated season. It looks pretty weak to me.

It’ll be interesting to see just how the College Football Playoff Committee deals with an undefeated Independent, who happens to have, IMHO, a weak schedule, who’s undefeated, if that happens to be the case.......... and in order to be an instigator and to Prime the Pump of OUTRAGE, just remember what they said about UCF last season.

Ha,ha,ha,ha....... this could be fun. :wink:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:18 pm

/

Yeah ... but then again, it's Notre Dame.

Unless there are 4 other undefeated teams from Power5 conferences going into the playoffs, Notre Dame would be a shoe in. They may even get the nod over one of the other Power5 schools, irregardless.

You would hear a lot of grandstanding about how weak one conference or the other is ... there would be excuses, for certain.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”