Oregon v Stanford

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Oregon v Stanford

Postby donovan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:39 pm

Big turnaround by reversed touchdown call. Oregon has a TD reversed, fumbles and Stanford returns for TD. They score again and now a blowout turns into a 3 point 4th qtr lead. Stanford much more disciplined than Oregon. Oregon O line controls first three quarters and now has imploded for last 5 minutes. Will see what 4th qtr does.

I dislike Oregon but would like an Oregon win for a Washington Oregon showdown.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Oregon v Stanford

Postby donovan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:27 pm

Overtime...Stanford ties it up with o.oo on the clock. Shaw runs a very disciplined program. Stanford's IQ equals total weight of Oregon line.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:30 pm

/
Oregon is doing everything they can to make me into a liar ...

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:31 pm

/

Unbelievable.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:40 pm

/

Now Cristobal is trying to win worst play caller.

4 straight pass plays, when you know you have to get into the end zone ... If you pick up a few yards prior to 4th down, the defense has to make adjustments and be aware of other possible looks.

Oregon just attempted 4 passes from the 10, and lost.

The fumbles lost them the game, for sure. But bad play calling on the last four plays.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:08 am

The game was lost when Oregon didn’t take a knee at the end of regulation. Stanford only had one time out so they would have had to punt, but they would have give Stanford the ball with 20 seconds left.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:33 am

/

As many mistakes as Oregon made with mishandling the ball, they would likely have snapped the ball past the punter ... there are never any guarantees.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:05 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:/

As many mistakes as Oregon made with mishandling the ball, they would likely have snapped the ball past the punter ... there are never any guarantees.

There isn't, but the catch the Stanford TE made at the end was awesome. Oregon looked like the better team through the 3rd qtr.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:27 am

........hopefully the Oregon Coach has learned, now that he has experienced it, that philosophical approaches to things are fine, but the realities of things sometimes require one to adjust one’s philosophy in order to meet the objective. :oops:

From what I saw, he really mismanaged the end of the game by getting caught-up in trying to win the game by scoring more points while having the lead as opposed to trying to run the clock out. iMHO...... 8)

......... and btw, the tight end and corner for Stanford played great and made plays during the closing minutes of the game. Really, really, really Good Stuff!!!!!

And he better get used to being questioned and second guessed........ Bill Snyder, the Patriarch and Ledgendary Coach of K-State, at 79 years old, was absolutely grilled by the K-State media during his presser after the game in Morgantown last Saturday. He did a great job handling it, he set the media, his staff, and his team straight on what happened and why it happened, and what has to happen to fix it....... I must says, he doesn’t coddle ANYBODY.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:13 pm

/

He certainly doesn't ...

Here he is from Big XII media days, preseason, talking about the new transfer rules:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8IVqbf5rw

Cane... [__]

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:44 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:/

He certainly doesn't ...

Here he is from Big XII media days, preseason, talking about the new transfer rules:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8IVqbf5rw

I have great respect for Coach Snyder and admire the way he coaches football....... the most chilling thing I heard him say while the media was attempting to put words in his mouth by asking ‘ask and answer’ questions was when he paused and said, “I cannot coach a football team that cannot get 6 inches when we need it”. I’m almost for certain he was referencing a series when K-State had mounted a drive and had two downs to get the first down. The first attempt was stuffed at the LOS and the during the second attempt the QB checked out of the called play to an read-option that was tackled 4-5 yards behind the LOS.

Coach Snyder is breaking in two new coordinators, both his longtime offensive and defensive coordinators left for Head Coaching jobs elsewhere. So Coach Snyder has his hands full with this team and staff....... but I will say that I’m glad the Mountaineers played this bunch early and I’m betting he gets this thing turned around before this season is over.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:59 am

/
Mountainman wrote:“I cannot coach a football team that cannot get 6 inches when we need it”.

Yeah, I saw that comment and thought, WoW!! He just said everything you needed to know.

Snyder was talking about going for it on 4th down there in the 2cnd quarter after West Virginia missed the field goal. He said he took the blame in the locker room for being down at the half, because when they turned the ball over on the four & out, West Virginia then got momentum and scored two touchdowns, and up to that point the Mountaineers were up by just 7, so it was a one possession game.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:50 am

I believe he was speaking to desire. If the players can’t muster the will to move the ball six inches when it is crucial to the game, then nothing the coach does is going to make a difference.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:00 am

Yep, and I believe he pulled his QB at halftime....... Snyder’s been proven right in the past about things he’s said at the time by how things turned out in the future.

Take his position Cane posted about the new Transfer Rule..... I saw yesterday where a receiver at Oklahoma State, who’s a junior with 1 year of eligibility remaining, currently a starter, and I believe the leading receiver on the team, has asked for and received permission to Red Shirt after 4 games this season, in order to transfer elsewhere because he’s not getting the ball thrown to him enough.

For the sake of the game, maybe the NCAA should listen more closely to what Snyder, and others, have to say about some of the issues surrounding the game. And realize you ‘can’t unring the bell’ and there’re always unintended consequences.

We’ll see.......

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:10 pm

Times change, I don't like it, but they do. There was a time, in my lifetime, when sports, even on the collegiate level were 'extracurricular' activities. Not so now. They are the curriculum to many that play the game. The seemingly study very little else. They is reflected in their interviews in thought, actions, grammar, and elocution. Big deal? Some would say no, these guys are going to earn more in their first year after college than many will in a lifetime.

So if the NCAA and the college eunuchs want to keep up with the times, let the athletes come and go as they please. With a society where instant gratification is not quick enough, let them transfer midyear if they want. Maybe at halftime would be all right too.

And don't hold your breath that college football will ever again become extracurricular.

Return to “General Discussion”