Urban Meyer is back........

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Urban Meyer is back........

Postby Mountainman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:14 pm

........and I see there are those in the media who continue to question Meyer’s behavior, decisions, judgement, truthfulness and character. I’m not going to post the web addresses I read because in today’s world it appears to me there are those in the media that are more self-serving and self-promoting than reporting what actually happened in it’s entirety. So, I’ve decided not to broadcast or promote those I suspect are self-promoting and baiting for ‘clicks’.

I also listened to his presser....... I thought he did well, although he did show what I presumed to be anxiety at the beginning while he was swaying left and right at the podium, but considering it was indeed an anxious moment, that was understandable to me.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Urban Meyer is back........

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:41 pm

The press is still furious at him for still not believing Courtney Smith. We guess what....if he had believed Courtney Smith he would have fired Zack Smith. I'm not saying Smith did or didn't because I am sure that Z Smith isn't innocent. I'm not sure C Smith is either. What I do know is Meyer used an arrest as the standard. If he was arrested he would be fired period. When he was arrested for breaking the restraining order Meyer fired him. The media believes that the allegation should be enough for someone to lose their job. If I worked for someone and they fired me because of an allegation of domestic violence without proof, I would sue him into next year. I don't know about Florida, but in Ohio if police are called for domestic violence and when they get there both parties decide they don't want to press charges, the police are required to make an arrest if there is evidence to the contrary. There was never an arrest until the restraining order was violated. That is the long and short of it. Ohio State, if they thought Meyer was covering up something would have fired him. They fired Woody Hayes for giving them a black eye. They fired Jim Tressel They would fire Meyer in a second if they felt they had cause. That isn't saying that Ohio State is above it all. Things that shouldn't have happened did. Things will happen in the future. If those things hurt the schools reputation they will do something about it. it is sad, but they are all about operating the machine. They call it a school, but it is a machine and that is what they care about. Same as all of the other big time institutions.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:48 pm

Myer is still carrying the weight of the 30 arrests at Florida during his regime.

USA Today:

"In addition to the incidents that became public, later accounts included allegations that Meyer had separate rules for stars – or that those core values could be occasionally overlooked."

The 2008 season was the pinnacle...9 starters arrested...16 on the two deep depth chart. And the Gators were SEC Champions.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:06 pm

billybud wrote:Myer is still carrying the weight of the 30 arrests at Florida during his regime.

USA Today:

"In addition to the incidents that became public, later accounts included allegations that Meyer had separate rules for stars – or that those core values could be occasionally overlooked."

The 2008 season was the pinnacle...9 starters arrested...16 on the two deep depth chart. And the Gators were SEC Champions.

Well, maybe that would be part of the reason Paul Finebaum has shown such disdain. That guy bleeds SEC.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:30 pm

/

Maybe ...

But I do not recall Finebaum ever calling for Meyer to be terminated as the gators head coach.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:16 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:/

Maybe ...

But I do not recall Finebaum ever calling for Meyer to be terminated as the gators head coach.

I never did either, another reason I was somewhat surprised when Finebaum came out so strong when this stuff was first coming out...... as I recall, it was the first time I ever heard him reference Meyer’s Coaching days at Florida.
I don’t know what that odor is I’m smelling, but I’m know I’m smelling something..... :?

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:23 pm

I listen to Meyer this evening. He said he had not seen pictures of Courtney Smith "until one week, I mean three weeks ago." "If I had known there was domestic violence, I would have immediately fired him."

What flashed in my mind was many years ago when the University of Washinton Tyee Club was paying players on the side, QB Billy Jo Hobert, a young kid from Puyallup, WA, very modest family, was driving a brand new Corvette and was parked in the practice field parking lot. When Don James, the godfather coach of UW was asked about it, he replied, words to the effect, "I don't about that, I never walk through the players parking lot." This is a school with at least 20 asst coaches, grad assistants etc. Nothing was done, then came Jim Lambright, Rick Neuheisel, and Keith Gilbertson. By then the Tyee Club had seemingly replaced they Athletic Director, they called the shots and paid for what they wanted. When it all came to a head Tyrone Willingham was hired, cleaned up the program and got fired because after he cleaned house, they went winless.

Just seems like the same script, different characters.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:12 pm

If there is more to come out I am sure the Woodward & Bernstein’s of the sports world will find it. No matter who they are, all coaches of major programs have things people can call them out on. I could name them, it would just be sour grapes.

Jim Tressel, who I have met several times and like had the world coming down on him for ignoring an email informing him of his players selling stuff for tattoos.
Jim Tressel is now the president of Youngstown state. I have a friend who’s daughter goes there. She sent a selfie picture of her in a golf cart with the former coach. It was raining and he was shuttling students from one area to another. That is the guy I met. There were no cameras around. It won’t be on the news. He doesn’t care.

As far as Meyer is concerned, I’m not a fan of his. I never have been. Not when he was at BG, not now. He comes across as arrogant. I’ve never really met him. I haven’t personal experience to back up the feeling. I do know that he is a good football coach. He has done a good job at Ohio State. If it were found out that he did absolutely no of Zack Smith’s domestic violence issues I could believe it based on who Zack Smith is and what his grandfather meant to Urban Meyer. At the end of the day, unless there is an abreast I don’t think it is an employers responsibility to investigate his employees. I think that it is ludicrous to even suggest it. I also don’t think so meone should be fired for an allegation. Even if he is a sleezeball like I believer Zack Smith to be.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”