Oregon State -v- Nevada

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Oregon State -v- Nevada

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:10 pm

/

I thought early, this game wasn't going to be worth watching ...

Nevada took advantage of every mistake that the Beavers made. And there were enough to ice the game away.

After jumping out to a 30-7 lead, the Wolfpack has seen their cushion evaporate in front of their eyes. Oregon State has come back to 30-28, being down by only 2 after trailing by 23.

Nevada is on the move, and are threatening to score with first and goal.

This went from being a wash, to a really good game.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Oregon State -v- Nevada

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:29 pm

/

Nevada punches the ball into the end zone on a goal line smash mouth play. Wolf Pack up by 9.

Oregon State moves down past mid field, where their drive stalls, a Field Goal attempt ... Missed!

Nevada throws a pick, Oregon State marches the field, puts it into the end zone ... They are back within 2.

4:30 left, Oregon State has all three timeouts remaining.

Score is 37 Nevada - 35 Oregon St

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:50 pm

/

What an ending!

Nevada goes three & out.

Oregon State does not move the ball well, goes for it on 4th down. Success.

Again, doesn't move the ball well. Timeout, goes for it on 4th down. Success.

Starts to get something going, get down the field, near Red Zone with just a minute left.

Penalty vs Nevada. With 22 seconds left. Ball advances forward, Oregon State waives the 10 second runoff.

QB runs the ball to get a better hashmark position.

Oregon State lets the clock wind to 0:04 ...

Kicks the Field Goal ... Missed ... no time left.

Final Score:
Nevada 37
Oregon State 35

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:58 pm

I didn't see it. I was watching another game. :wink:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:15 am

/

That's what my laptop is for ... watching as much as I can all at the same time.

Between the 4 games I was flipping through on my laptop, I was bouncing back & forth between the OSU/TCU game, and the Texas/USC game.

It also helped me to watch Miami Win, while simultaneously watching fsu Lose :mrgreen:

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:23 am

I was too wrapped up in the Buckeye game to pay attention to anything else. They had lots of mistakes and were lucky to get by with the win. If TCU could have sustained the tempo they were playing at I'm not sure Ohio State would have won it. That game just came down to depth. Gary Patterson had the game plan to win. A few mistakes by Robinson and lack of depth in the second half was the difference in the game. Haskins passed his first major test. Dobbins and Webber played great. The rest of the team has work to do.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:51 am

Spence wrote:I was too wrapped up in the Buckeye game to pay attention to anything else. They had lots of mistakes and were lucky to get by with the win. If TCU could have sustained the tempo they were playing at I'm not sure Ohio State would have won it. That game just came down to depth. Gary Patterson had the game plan to win. A few mistakes by Robinson and lack of depth in the second half was the difference in the game. Haskins passed his first major test. Dobbins and Webber played great. The rest of the team has work to do.

No, the Buckeyes weren't Lucky to get the win.

TCU made just as many mistake as Ohio State, mistakes are just a part of the game. So they had the same opportunities to capitalize and win the game with.

The Buckeyes did what better teams do. They play stronger than the other guys as it gets later in the game. TCU couldn't keep pace in the end.

The Horned Frogs made 2 too many errors. OSU took advantage of those, and exploited the chance to pull away. TCU could not do anything to take the momentum from the Buckeyes once it was taken. Ohio State took the lead, and then got a quick Defensive touchdown. Two visits to the end zone in 54 seconds is not an accident.

TCU was holding on for dear life at that point ... but just didn't have enough to clean up after the blunders, and OSU really didn't make any more critical mistakes.

OSU deserved the win as much as TCU deserved to lose.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:12 am

TCU just didn't have the depth to respond the second half. Patterson knew it or he wouldn't have tried the trick play - which by the way was genius, but won't work again - the game plan was good. Their athleticism was great, they just were undersized. They did make mistakes. Ohio State didn't. That was the difference in the game.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:08 am

My take...... a missed scoring opportunity early and two turnovers for points for the Frogs, along with one cool customer at quarterback for the Buckeyes was the story of the game. Typical Gary Patterson game plan of attacking the QB in order to rattle and create mistakes and execution errors.

As I sit here this morning I’m thinking, my Beloved Mountaineers better get the kinks worked out during September and October because come November it’s Texas, TCU, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma....... :D
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Return to “General Discussion”