Now Here's A Donovan/Billbud Conversation Piece

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Now Here's A Donovan/Billbud Conversation Piece

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:21 am

/

Postulate on this ...

On Tuesday, Chris Smith of Forbes shared the most valuable college football programs from 2014 through 2016, and Texas A&M topped the list at $148 million in revenue and $107 million in profit.

The Longhorns were second at $133 million in revenue and $87 million in profit, while the Wolverines came in third at $127 million and $75 million.

Smith broke down the reasons the Aggies overtook their in-state rivals and pointed to the significant advantage they enjoyed. From 2014 through the 2016-17 campaign, their athletic department received $260 million in contributions, by far the most in the nation.

For comparison, the Florida Gators came in second at $138 million, while Texas received $123 million. Texas A&M directed $119 million of its contributions to football alone.

The Aggies also benefited from coming in third in ticket revenue and sixth in royalties and licensing.

The rest of the top 10 reads like a who's who in college football royalty

--- Generated Revenue/Profit Margin ---

1.) Texas A&M: $148 million/$107 million
2.) Texas: $133 million/$87 million
3.) Michigan: $127 million/$75 million
4.) Alabama: $127 million/$59 million
5.) Ohio State, $120 million/$69 million
6.) Oklahoma: $118 million/$72 million
7.) Notre Dame: $112 million/$72 million
8.) Auburn: $112 million/$61 million
9.) LSU: $112 million/$56 million
10.) Florida: $111 million/$67 million

Ties in revenue, such as the one between Michigan and Alabama, were broken by profit. Smith noted Alabama was just 10th in profit because "no other program comes close to matching the Crimson Tide in spending" at an average of $68 million per year.

The SEC had 10 teams in the top 25, while the Big Ten wasn't far behind with seven. They were the only conferences with more than three teams on the list.

The next step for Texas A&M, Texas and Michigan would ideally, at least for their fans, be parlaying the head-turning revenue numbers into consistent winning.

None of the three has made the College Football Playoff since the new postseason system was implemented prior to the 2014 campaign. What's more, Texas' 2009 Big XII championship was the most recent conference title for any of the three programs.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Now Here's A Donovan/Billbud Conversation Piece

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:53 am

look at you...calling Florida..."college football's royalty"...LOL

Interesting if you look at ROI....since the BCS started in 1998:

Top 10 $$$$

Texas A&M...zero national championships

Texas...one NC

Oklahoma...one

Ohio State...two

Auburn...one

LSU...two

FLA...one

Michigan...ZERO

From the cheap seats:

FSU...two

Miami...one

Clemson...one

And in the Saban Royalty Box:

Alabama....FIVE...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:33 am

All businesses look at their return on investment. Why would college football be any different? Now if College Football is the geographical religion of the South, maybe other than National Championships, (a myth continually espoused by my esteemed friend), maybe the benchmark should be Led Zepplin's Stairways to Heaven. By the way, as I digress, if there is not at a minimum an elevator to Heaven, I can't make it.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:40 am

Donovan...you will be assigned to the escalator. The elevator is an executive elevator, non stop to the top floor, no stop at purgatory. And reserved for SEC fans.

You have served your fellow man and have been a good boy even if you aren't a saintly southerner.

Unlike Cane who has been on the ride down the coal chute...fast, fun, and dirty, but not as much fun when you reach the final stop.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:47 am

And...folks probably don't keep up with great southern news source...

https://twitter.com/WaffleHouseNews/sta ... 2234075137

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:48 am

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:49 pm

I am so relieved. I'm thinking maybe there are Waffle Houses in heaven. As for Cane...maybe he could watch Burt Lancaster in Elmer Gantry.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:01 pm

FEMA uses the Waffle House INdex to determine recovery from storms..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/na ... 287881002/

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:15 pm

Without reservation, I am assuming you don't need reservations at Waffle houses, this makes more sense to me than anything I have heard the government do in a long time. Why reivent the wheel. Pay attention to someone that needs things to happen for survival.

No Waffle Houses in Oregon. This is Portland's idea of a pancake house. Reservations needed. Called Original Pancake House.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:25 pm

/

billybud wrote:look at you...calling Florida..."college football's royalty"...LOL

And in no such gaff on my part ...

Since the group from Gainesville has had a team for 20 years prior to Miami, I have to abnegate some legitimacy to them.

Of course, that doesn't mean I have to acknowledge the same amiability to that all girls school from the Northwest of the State, who rebranded themselves as a CoEd University in the late 1940's. :D

billybud wrote:Interesting if you look at ROI....since the BCS started in 1998:

Top 10 $$$$

Texas A&M...zero national championships

Texas...one NC

Oklahoma...one

Ohio State...two

Auburn...one

LSU...two

FLA...one

Michigan...ZERO

From the cheap seats:

FSU...two

Miami...one

Clemson...one

Alabama....FIVE...

Are we referring to all football championships since the BCS formation to present..?

If so then maybe the Demographic should be:

School
Championships Won/Championship Appearances/Tournament Appearances
Championship Years, Years of Contention:

Texas A&M
Still Zero/Zero/Zero
NA

Texas
1/2/O
2005, 2009

Oklahoma
1/4/2
2000, 2003, 2004, 2008, 215, 2017

Ohio State
2/3/2
2002, 2006, 2007, 2014, 2016

Auburn
1/2/O
2010, 2013

LSU
2/3/O
2003, 2007, 2012

Florida
2/2/O
2006, 2008

Michigan
Still Zero/Zero/Zero
NA

From the cheap seats:

Florida State
2/4/1
1998, 1999, 2000, 2013, 2014

Miami
1/2/O
2001, 2002

Clemson
1/2/3
2015, 2016, 2017

Alabama
5/6/7
2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Nick Saban
6/7/8
LSU --- 2003
Alabama --- 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

:
:
:
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:38 pm

Arkansas came in #13 (ahead of FSU, Georgia, and other powerhouse programs). Arkansas football does everything well except win.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:40 pm

/

I wish I could glint some glimmer of hope for you ... but you're not wrong.

As a `Canes fan, it's sometimes easy to forget that things could be worse, when things go so wrong.

Many believe our woes started by a curse that descended upon the program when the decision to tear down the Orange Bowl was effectively implemented.

I disagree ..

I think the curse on Miami happened when Larry Coker decided to start Brock Berlin [an ex-gator] as our Quarterback.

Just look at how erratic the QB play has been since Dorsey left ... and Berlin took over.

Miami hasn't been the same thereafter.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:35 pm

donovan wrote:All businesses look at their return on investment. Why would college football be any different? Now if College Football is the geographical religion of the South, maybe other than National Championships, (a myth continually espoused by my esteemed friend), maybe the benchmark should be Led Zepplin's Stairways to Heaven. By the way, as I digress, if there is not at a minimum an elevator to Heaven, I can't make it.

What other sports board in CFB has a Zep reference? That is why I like it here. :wink:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:48 am

And Cane...a historical fact....FSU first fielded a football team in 1900 and was playing Georgia Tech and Florida twenty three years before Miami had a football team...FSU won the state championship in 1904, beating Florida and Stetson (the only other teams in the state)

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:49 am

And Cane...a historical fact....FSU first fielded a football team in 1900 and was playing Georgia Tech and Florida twenty three years before Miami had a football team...FSU won the state championship in 1904, beating Florida and Stetson (the only other teams in the state)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1904_Florida_State_College_football_team#/media/File:1904_Florida_State_College_football_team.jpg

Return to “General Discussion”