2 game impression

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

2 game impression

Postby highfly24 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Its only 2 games but thought I would give a brief run down on my knee jerk reactions so far. Here is my most and least impressive teams from each conference. Not going by rankings or where they may be just what I've seen in 2 games.

American-- Most impressive, Houston. USF had a nice win over GA Tech but Houston has taken care of 2 FBS teams, including an Arizona squad that needed a bounce back win.
Least impressive--Temple. Losing to a local FCS foe Villanova and then getting beaten by Buffalo made this a pretty easy choice in my mind.

ACC--Most, Duke. I might make more of their win over Army than most but the win at Northwestern was a good follow up.
Least--FSU is the easy choice. Soundly beaten by VA Tech and could barely beat Samford. However, lets not look past UNC. Loss to Cal, who is a mediocre team and then ECU. Neither team is any good, so what does that say about them. They did go on the road for both games.

Big 12--Most, Oklahoma. Dont like going with such a high rank but the winners have done what was expected.
Least--Kansas State. Wow talk about a sluggish start. Not impressed with Snyder's squad at all yet.

Big 10--Most, Maryland. The team looked like they could be in total shambles to start the season. They have done a good job.
Least, Michigan State. A team that was being discussed as a playoff darkhorse. Lucky they aren't 0-2 right now.

CUSA--No team has stood out, good or bad.

MAC--Most, Buffalo. They are off to a good start. Honorable mention to Eastern Michigan.
Least, none. A lot of losses but its to be expected.

Mt West--Most, Hawaii. Dont think anyone had them at 3-0 right now. Good wins against some quality foes.
Least, Wyoming. I expected more competitive games from a team with this much returning.

PAC 12-- Most, Colorado. They are looking good.
Least, Arizona. Think we've covered them in enough topics already.

SEC--Most, LSU. Did not settle after the win over Miami. Jumped on the next foe early and showed dominance. No looking ahead to Auburn.
Least, Florida.

Sun Belt--Most, Appy State. Hard to look much better in a loss than what they did at Penn State. Noone gave them a chance. I like what I've seen from them.
Least, none. Like the MAC/CUSA not much unexpected in the way of losing.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: 2 game impression

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:33 pm

/

highfly24 wrote:ACC--Most, Duke. I might make more of their win over Army than most but the win at Northwestern was a good follow up.

Virginia Tech is looking pretty good. They were teetering on the side of mediocrity last season. They also have had the fewest returning starters in the last two seasons, so they are marginally experienced ... usually a sign of tough days ahead ... and yet that has worked in their favor.

The players this staff has replaced out going talent with is performing very well. And we may be seeing the reemergence of not just a Divisional leader out of this team; rather a potential National contender.

Still a bunch of football in front of us before we can make those sorts of forecasting. But the Hokies, I believe, are trending in the right direction.

highfly24 wrote:Least--Kansas State. Wow talk about a sluggish start. Not impressed with Snyder's squad at all yet.

Boy, you aren't kidding!

And if they keep looking this bad, can you imagine the chatter if the Jayhawks were to beat them this year..?

highfly24 wrote:Mt West--Most, Hawaii. Don't think anyone had them at 3-0 right now. Good wins against some quality foes.

I certainly didn't ...

I know you aren't just pointing out the favorites, but let's not overlook Boise State & Fresno State.

If we are talking most impressive, Boise does look to be on track to be the team the media fell in Love with [even if they won't admit it today].

And, Fresno's loss to Minnesota was a rather close game. They are looking strong, building off of last season. I know it would have been more impressive had they beaten the Gophers. The Bulldogs seem to be keeping stride.

I think both of these teams are putting their best foot forward.

highfly24 wrote:SEC--Most, LSU. Did not settle after the win over Miami. Jumped on the next foe early and showed dominance. No looking ahead to Auburn.

Well, yes ... but then again, Southeastern Louisiana isn't exactly the stiffest of FCS competition. They were a 6-5 team last season, so not really contender for the FCS championship --- Though, I will be impressed should LSU knock of Auburn this weekend.

---

A couple of things to note going forward:

Duke has two significant injuries that occurred Saturday --
Cornerback Mark Gilbert will be out the rest of the season
Starting Quarterback Daniel Jones will be out Indefinitely

Oklahoma had a significant loss, also --
Runningback Rodney Anderson is out for the season with a knee injury
He had a break out year in 2017, with 1,161 rushing yards & 13 TDs.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:47 am

Nice work Highfly 8) You are indeed a College Football Fan Emeritus and one who calls ‘em as you see ‘em, instead of seeing ‘em as you call ‘em.

Good Stuff!!!
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:32 pm

I like that format. Good idea.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”