FSU

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: FSU

Postby donovan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:12 am

billybud wrote:Yeah...a black coach in Oregon (population 2 % black) may have a rougher time than in a state with eight times that percentage of blacks.

Really? Moving on.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:46 pm

I actually mean "pigeon" english not pidgin....

Doves are members of the pigeon family as are left coasters....they are symbols for the peace at any price, Starbucks swilling hipsters who wouldn't enter a Waffle King if you held a gun on them.

Me? I find the Waffle King at home comforting...A conservative's time warp. Go in after a 20 year absence and you see the same patched vinyl booths, the same waitresses, and they most likely have the same grease in the fryers.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Hey!!! Did you hear the one about what happened when a Logophile, a Liberal, and a Conservative met in a bar??? :lol:

Great Stuff...... I really enjoyed reading that. :mrgreen:

J
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:34 pm

donovan wrote:
billybud wrote:Yeah...a black coach in Oregon (population 2 % black) may have a rougher time than in a state with eight times that percentage of blacks.

Really? Moving on.

Yes really? You disagree?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:04 pm

/
He has to disagree ...otherwise AntiFa will visit his home.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:23 pm

Just an aside...Portland is the whitest large city in the country....that is a fact.

And Eugene (Univ. of Oregon) is whiter at 1.6 % black....Tallahassee is 35 % black....wouldn't you think that makes a difference to Willie?

We make it a taboo to opine about such things...but folks do tend to feel less isolated when more of their racial grouping is represented.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:26 pm

billybud wrote:
donovan wrote:

Really? Moving on.

Yes really? You disagree?

Of course, I don't disagree. When did my position on your post have anything to do with truth. None of this is anything to be proud of, but Oregon had Sundowner laws until 1950, and where there were no Afro-Americans living, they enforced them. Where there were communities, mainly in Portland in the North East section where the shipyard workers who were brought up from the South by Henry J. Kaiser, they had their own community and no one bothered them. The Northwest was traditionally very biased in a way that only an area that had no Afro-Americans can be. Today, not so much, but you are right at the University of Oregon, if it were not for the students, that is a very white community. It is also why they can espouse their liberal thoughts because it is just philosophy. Too much....now back to the board. Glad you have him and we don't.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:37 pm

We think of Oregon as home to liberals...but Oregon has a 200 year history of being the most racist of northern states. And, that history has ramifications in the present.

"From its very beginning, Oregon was an inhospitable place for black people. In 1844, the provisional government of the territory passed a law banning slavery, and at the same time required any African American in Oregon leave the territory. Any black person remaining would be flogged publicly every six months until he left. Five years later, another law was passed that forbade free African Americans from entering into Oregon, according to the Communities of Color report. It was not just a no slave state...Oregon was a no black state.

In 1857, Oregon adopted a state constitution that banned black people from coming to the state, residing in the state, or holding property in the state. During this time, any white male settler could receive 650 acres of land and another 650 if he was married. This, of course, was land taken from native people who had been living here for centuries.

With the passage of the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments, Oregon’s laws preventing black people from living in the state and owning property were superseded by national law. But Oregon itself didn’t ratify the 14th Amendment—the Equal Protection Clause—until 1973. (Or, more exactly, the state ratified the amendment in 1866, rescinded its ratification in 1868, and then finally ratified it for good in 1973.) It didn’t ratify the 15th Amendment, which gave black people the right to vote, until 1959, making it one of only six states that refused to ratify that amendment when it passed.

This history resulted in a very white state. Technically, after 1868, black people could come to Oregon. But the black-exclusion laws had sent a very clear message nationwide, says Darrell Millner, a professor of black studies at Portland State University. “What those exclusion laws did was broadcast very broadly and loudly was that Oregon wasn’t a place where blacks would be welcome or comfortable,” he told me. By 1890, there were slightly more than 1,000 black people in the whole state of Oregon. By 1920, there were about 2,000.

Talking constructively about race can be hard, especially in a place like Portland where residents have so little exposure to people who look differently than they do."

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:03 pm

As long as you don't imply, infer or even give the slightest suggestion that I am glad Willie Taggart is not at Oregon because he is Black.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Don't know why you are glad that Taggart is not at Oregon....

I think I know why he came to Tallahassee though.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:28 pm

billybud wrote:Don't know why you are glad that Taggart is not at Oregon....

I think I know why he came to Tallahassee though.

Just as I see it.
Came in with a game plan that was 180 degrees from where they had been, very complicated. Thought they should have built on their strengths
Think he always wanted to be where he is, nothing wrong with that, just don't think being a stepping stone is a good idea.

All of this, I don't really care. Never was an Oregon fan. Like Oregon State. Never liked Washington, but I do like Petersen.

l

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:09 am

I guess one could say the same for FSU and Jimbo...

We're looking for people who want to be part of something bigger. We don't want people who see us as a stepping stone.

Says the CEO of Burger King.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:18 am

Are you under the illusion that college football is something other than an entertainment business and the same banality does not apply?

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:07 pm

billybud wrote:Turnover backpack vs silly blinged out throne ?

At least the FSU player's , themselves, dreamed up as well as voted on the backpacks.

I blame it all on Miami and that ginormous , over blown, gold plated rappers chain that started this nonsense.

Interesting ...

I guess Taggart's team's have a tendency to "dream up on their own" while imitating Miami; as Oregon from Last Year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nJ-L3WVAy8

"Often Imitated, Never Duplicated", as the saying goes :lol:

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:42 pm

and they should be roasted for imitating that Uncle Lucas pimp chain.....it does resonate in South Florida.....not so much in Otegon.

The creator of that chain is a south Florida guy known as "the King of Bling"...

Return to “General Discussion”