Gripes and Grumbles......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Gripes and Grumbles......

Postby Mountainman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:45 am

Well, I’m guessing most, if not all, of us are sitting on our hands just waiting for this season to get geared-up...... so, what better way is there to pass the time than to GRIPE AND GRUMBLE????

Scheduling - have you seen how many non-Power 5 teams some Power 5 teams are playing???

Transfer Rules - “hey coach, I’m leaving the program.....”

Fall Practice - NCAA establishes a start date for all members, but failed to consider that all members do not start their school year (classes) on the same date (the stop date). Therefore allowing schools with later school year date more practice time.

This post is predicated on the proven phenomenon that when one is sitting around, full of anticipation, with nothing better to do that they actually want to do, such as YARDWORK, the alternative of choice is to criticize, question, jerk, moan, whine and complain. :wink:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Gripes and Grumbles......

Postby billybud » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:37 am

In Alabama they start classes when Saban says they can.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:59 am

1. Every year I have to pump myself up to get excited about a National Championship where my team has zero chance of winning for reasons that may have been expressed once or twice before.

2. All the new stadiums are at an angle where to get to your seats your knees give out on the third step.

3. Oregon State can't even spin a story for the disaster that is about to happen.

4. Being surprised by Mr. Billybud's statement, that Alabama players even go to class.

5. I didn't think the Oregon Ducks uniforms could get any worse...

Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:30 pm

I think that kids should have the opportunity to transfer especially if a coach leaves or gets fired , but just I’m not sure I’m a fan of being able to transfer for any reason with no penalty. Of course I also think that if a coach offers a scholarship it should be for the whole time that player is eligible as long as that player holds up his end.

And I never say the Duck’s uniforms can’t get worse because they seem to devote a lot of energy into topping themselves three times a year.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:57 am

Maryland's uni's look like Nike designs that Oregon rejected.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:07 am

I guess I’ll just have to accept that I’m a traditionalist and a rebel, thus I cannot be critical of today’s uniforms and fan apperal since my Beloved Mountaineers also ‘sold out’ to Nike...... hell, we wear Royal Blue and Canary Yellow as opposed to the Old Gold and Navy.

I continue to wear Old Gold and Navy to the games, although it’s met with varying responses from other fans...... while standing in the concourse with one of those big ole keepsake drinking cups in my hand waiting for Wifie to work her way through the Ladies Room, the gray beards and their stiff and silver haired wives would pat me on the shoulder and compliment my attire, and the ‘younger generation’ would walk by and put change in the cup.

Dag-Gum WHIPPERSNAPPERS!!!!! :lol:
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:55 am

Sometimes, most of the time, well, all of the time I feel like one the children of Israel that wandered in the desert for 40 years just waiting for all the old codgers to die so they could go to the promise land.

Between Starbucks and Nike, I don't recognize much of anything. There are 843 coffee shops, places like Starbucks in the city of Portland alone. And they are in third place behind San Francisco and Seattle. They serve Starbucks in every major stadium in Oregon and Washington. Not being a coffee drinker, I know more about the Donut Shops and know every fast food attendant in a three-county area by their first name.

My whole state sold out.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:09 pm

Oh gawd....The "Oregon effect" has hit Tallahassee....Willie Taggart wants to mix it up more than has been traditional at FSU, especially under Jimbo.

Will open with the Noles wearing all black.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:33 pm

billybud wrote:Oh gawd....The "Oregon effect" has hit Tallahassee....Willie Taggart wants to mix it up more than has been traditional at FSU, especially under Jimbo.

Will open with the Noles wearing all black.

Well, at least the ‘Noles have the good sense to kick it off at 8:00 pm, wearing black (which absorbs heat for you guys who didn’t pay attention in Physical Science Class) in that Florida heat and humidity....... I’m dreading the 91 degrees forecasted for Charlotte, some genius said, ‘ Let’s kick it off when it’s absolutely the HOTTEST PART OF THE DAY!!!!! :(

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:25 pm

In my last years of actually going to the games, I noticed that a few of my long time row aquaintances were missing. Where for years, the Noles traditionally played night games in September, we were now playing in the broiling sun. No shade, concrete, heat, and old age do not mix well.

And then, I could no longer take those TV directed daytime kickoffs where the temperature on the field and in the stands was measured at 110....my son was the beneficiary of my inability to stand the heat in my old age.

I now watch almost all games just steps away from my kitchen and bathroom, AC comfortably set, remote handy....and a smile glued to my face.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:06 pm

donovan wrote:Sometimes, most of the time, well, all of the time I feel like one the children of Israel that wandered in the desert for 40 years just waiting for all the old codgers to die so they could go to the promise land.

Between Starbucks and Nike, I don't recognize much of anything. There are 843 coffee shops, places like Starbucks in the city of Portland alone. And they are in third place behind San Francisco and Seattle. They serve Starbucks in every major stadium in Oregon and Washington. Not being a coffee drinker, I know more about the Donut Shops and know every fast food attendant in a three-county area by their first name.

My whole state sold out.

Speaking of Fast Food Attendants......... the mothers and grandmothers of the Youth Sports Leagues, of which my daughter and wife are members, decided to have a Hot Dog, Baked Bean, chip and drink sale at the local Walmart Parking Lot as a Fund Raiser for the various leagues. Without my prior permission, I was ‘volunteered’ to help set up the tents and tables in the parking lot while the mothers and grandmothers would show-up later with the food and conduct the sale, and I was OK with that.

After completing my assignment, which had to be completed by 7:30 a.m. because the Walmart Management wanted to avoid any potential traffic concerns, I returned home hopeful of a nap in the recliner once the gals were gone. But Nooooooo, I was also ‘volunteered’ to keep the grandchildren, again without my permission. And guess what? Once my daughter arrived she announced, “They haven’t eaten.”
I glanced at my wife and her eyes had that look of, “I you say anything except what I expect you to say, I’ll murder you in your sleep.” So, I said, “I’ve got this.” And then daughter and grandmother left.

Shortly afterwards I ask my two grandchildren, “Are you guys hunger?”. “Yeah!!!” Was the gleeful reply. So I loaded them up in the truck and we’re off to Tudors Biscuit World. I pulled into the drive-through and ordered 2 child and 1 adult size scrambled eggs, 2 Jelly and 1 Sausage Biscuit with 2 chocolate milks and 1 French Vanilla Coffee, and then drove around to the pick-up window...... and it was there I first saw Joquetta.

She said to me, “It’ll be just a minute on those eggs and Sausage Biscut, but here’s your 2 Jelly Biscuits and drinks.” as she handed me the drinks and a bag out the window. The kids said they were hungry so I passed the Jelly Biscuits and their drinks to them. My grandson said, “Hey Papaw, there’s no Jelly on my Biscuit.” As my granddaughter said, “There’s none on mine either.” About that time, Joquetta reappeared and handed me the scrambled eggs and Sausage Biscuit. I said, “There’s no Jelly on the kids’ biscuits.” Joquetta just stared at me while pointing to a sign beside the pick-up window that read ‘Condiments by Request Only’. So, I asked, “Do you mean that I have to ask for the Jelly for what your menu says is a Jelly Biscuit?” She just stared at me...... so I asked her for 4 jellies. Still staring at me she handed me 4 of those peal top Jelly packs. I then ask, “Is there sausage on the Sausage Biscuit?” She then turned from the window and hollered, “Hey Shirley, we got a moron at the widow who thinks sausage is a condiment.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:58 pm

Laughing out loud..... that is a funny story.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:27 pm

Ah the books that could be written with stories from trips through the drive thru. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”