Good Morning.......

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Good Morning.......

Postby Mountainman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:54 am

......... hello everyone.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Good Morning.......

Postby billybud » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:13 am

G'day to you Mate.

Do you think the Eers will cover? The line has moved from WVU -7 to WVU -10...

I think the Eers will win this one...Tennessee is still rebuilding and WVU with Grier at QB and their receiver group will get yards.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:36 am

I’m taking a ‘wait and see’ attitude with me to Charlotte........ the offense will be good, maybe even very good, and I want to see how well they can run the ball. The defense is an unknown and last season it was a disaster on that side of the ball. Kicking game, we’lI see.

If the Vols manage to run the ball, eat clock and score while keeping Grier and company on the sidelines I would tend to think the 10 points would be difficult to cover.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:47 am

My goodness ... just when I felt their was a lack of presence of Hillbillies around here, in pops the most elusive backwoods man of them all.

How in the world have you been, buddy. I trust everything has calmed a bit in your life since you last visit. But when you said you'd be away from the board for a while, I assumed you meant a year or so ... you started me thinking that maybe you went ahead and jumped:

mountainman wrote:Although I am a fan of both WVU and Marshall, if the Mountaineers do indeed 'choke' in their opener against the Herd .... I shall have to drive to Fayetteville .... and jump off the New River Gorge Bridge ..... which is the largest bridge of its type, single arch, in the western hemisphere, and rises almost 1000 feet above the river. :lol:

Glad to see you back.

And, yeah, the talking heads keep talking about the Mountaineers. I don't know if they're quite as good as the conversation. Though Morgantown certainly has one key ingredient that so many would be contenders have been missing in recent seasons --- a quality QB.

What the Mountaineers have might just make them a dangerous team in the Big XII.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:43 pm

Hello Cane, good to hear from you. Life is good, and yes, it has indeed slowed down..... I’ve perused the board and am really tickled to see where many of the ‘old gang’ are still around and posting good stuff. Knowledgeable and level-headed folks, although in today’s world there’s evidence they are on the cusp of being placed on The Endangered Species List. :wink:

You’ve certainly got me pegged, and if it’s a dash or sprinkle of Hillbilly needed to spice-up this recipe...... I’m your man!!!!!

Let’s Goooooooooo Mountaineers, Let’s Goooooooooo Drink Some Beers!!!!!

........btw, I noticed your tribute to Howdy, a fine, fine man indeed. First class of you to do that.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:10 am

Well...I can now join you as a mountain man...

I spend most of my time here in the mountains of western NC....as a lifetime flat lander, I love these mountains....although getting from here to there gets some getting used to...it is 18 miles from my house to a gps point we drive to (as the crow flys) yet it is a little over 50 miles and an hour via car.

WVU had problems with defense last year and there seems to be a little more expected from that unit this year....the front line was getting pushed a little bit and the 3-3-5 scheme was vulnerable to the run and short middle pass.

Grier throwing to Sills will be fun to watch, I think....top rated QB and top rated receiver.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:26 am

We just love our ‘Country Roads’ here in West Virginia, and the many convenient amenities they provide........ such as when an aging prostrate gland results in a sudden urge, one doesn’t have to rush to the nearest Convenience Store or gas station to find a Men’s Room, we simply pull over at the next wide spot beside the road. :wink:

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:26 pm

SO good to have you back mountainman. I remember you leaving and no one would ever tell me why. LOL!!

As you noticed the board has def. slowed down, but we are still here. 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:45 pm

/

Derek wrote:SO good to have you back mountainman.

Sentiment shared.

---

Derek wrote:As you noticed the board has def. slowed down, but we are still here. 8)

We are, and in no small part due to Derek's intervention ... We are the site that almost was no more.

Mountainman; Not sure if you read any of those posts from a year ago, but when Congrove had decided to close the message board, we banded together and preserved the future of our little corner on the net.

Derek took over the content, even being able to maintain the forum under the same name & url.

I'm glad he did keep the name. If we had changed the branding, members from the past wouldn't be able to find their way back so easily.

It's good to see our community hasn't faded; just taken our time about getting back around to things.

And Derek, not to embarrass you too much, but thank you again.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:42 pm

:oops: :oops:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:52 pm

Appreciate the welcome, Derek........ and a good ole Tip Of The Coonskin Cap to you for rescuing the board.

Thanks for letting me know that, Cane......... and btw, I considered getting back into the boards for a while and started looking around. I must say it’s a jungle out there in today’s environment, with lots of negative stuff, in-your-face attitudes and not much conversation or discussion. When I thought about my old stomping grounds I goggled CFP and all I could fine were ‘How To Become A Certified Financial Planner’ sites. :shock:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:21 pm

/

LoL!!

I got the same search results when I attempted to look for the site on this PC after my other computer call it quits.

Luckily I have the url bookmarked in all of my laptops, so I just copied the link, pasted it into an e-mail, and sent it to myself. That way I can bookmark it on any PC I open my e-mail in.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:36 pm

Mountainman wrote:Appreciate the welcome, Derek........ and a good ole Tip Of The Coonskin Cap to you for rescuing the board.

Thanks for letting me know that, Cane......... and btw, I considered getting back into the boards for a while and started looking around. I must say it’s a jungle out there in today’s environment, with lots of negative stuff, in-your-face attitudes and not much conversation or discussion. When I thought about my old stomping grounds I goggled CFP and all I could fine were ‘How To Become A Certified Financial Planner’ sites. :shock:

Nice to see you back MM. since we last talked my niece became a member of the WVU marching band. I put the coonskin cap you gave me to good use by giving it to her to take to school with her and become a true blue mountaineer. I kept the Mountain Dew for myself. ;)
Glad you decided to check me back into the fold.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:21 am

Spence wrote:
Mountainman wrote:Appreciate the welcome, Derek........ and a good ole Tip Of The Coonskin Cap to you for rescuing the board.

Nice to see you back MM. since we last talked my niece became a member of the WVU marching band. I put the coonskin cap you gave me to good use by giving it to her to take to school with her and become a true blue mountaineer. I kept the Mountain Dew for myself. ;)
Glad you decided to check me back into the fold.

Hello Spence, it’s been a while....... Prodigal Son returns, I suppose. Lots of changes have occurred with the board since I was here last, but to me the most important element still remains, it’s members.

Cane told me about the close call with demise, I went back and read the postings, and how the members rallied to save it and how Derek really stepped-up, so Good On You Guys.

I also read where you personally are going/went through one of the ‘rough patches, of life and the outpouring of understanding and compassion from the folks around here. I’ll add mine to that.

Really glad your niece is a member of “THE PRIDE OF WEST VIRGINIA”!!!!! They truly are a great Marching Band and put on an excellent show while having a good time and lots of fun doing it. Take it from one who has experienced their performance many times, that the emotion they bring out of fans, even in the Big Ole Countryboy/Hillbilly ones, during the playing and performance of ‘Country Roads’ and ‘Simple Gifts’ gives meaning to that lyric in the song ‘....teardrop in my eye’. And yes, we stand for the playing of the National Anthem in West ‘by God’ Virginia.

P.S. As far as that Mountain Dew is concerned, ‘I reserve my right to remain silent, for anything I might say would absolutely and without doubt incriminate me’ :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:18 pm

You are in the clear. I can assure you that all the evidence has long been erased.

When I gave my niece the coonskin cap I told her it came from a tried and true mountaineer. She is a Senior this year. I know she has had a good experience in Morgantown. She has turned her back on her buckeye roots. I'm working on that though. :wink:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”