Well, Here Is One Tiger That Won't Bite Us

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Well, Here Is One Tiger That Won't Bite Us

Postby billybud » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:00 am

Now...Taste is taste and is individual...I am not much for new england food (Hell, they don't even know what a real Red Snapper or Drum is)...and their chowder is white..(fer gawd's sake, chowder needs to be red and have oysters, not clams). I'll raise your chowder a gumbo.

I have toured all over the south as a foodie...

My shrimp and grits tastings alone cover...(and I am a shrimp and grits, among other southern foods, cook at home)

Avia...Savannah
Market Square Cafe...Savannah
The Olde Pink House....Savannah
Hominy Grill....Charleston
Poogan's Porch...Charleston
Boundry House....Calabash
Tupelo Honey...Asheville
Black Mountain Bistro...Black Mountain
Veranda...Black Mountain
Chateau Morrisette..BRP near Floyd, Va.
Sweet Onion...Waynesville
Caffe Rel...Franklin
River and Rail...Roanoke
Maya...Charlottesville
Fortify Clayton....Clayton
Jonah's Fish and Grits...Thomasville, Ga
Treo, Blue Ridge
The River House, Gruene, TX
The Gruene River Grill, Gruene
Bistro 29...Murphy

and a dozen more...my wife and I still brag about the great "Shrimp and Grits Tour" we made on the Harley.

We eat Cajun in Breaux Bridge, St. Charles and Lafayette, La...
German in Fredericksburg TX is our favorite but we have had very good german food in my father's home state (Wisconsin), New Braunfels, TX, and other places.

Believe it or not, good Italian food can be found all over.

I like visiting Washington DC for the variety of their ethnic restaurants...Ethiopian isn't may thing, but you have to sample.

San Francisco was OK...hipster oriented in some of the restaurants we visited...don't garnish my plate with a freekin' flower or offer me a wine list with $150 dollar bottles.

Steak? Never order it out...My wife says it can't match what I can do at home. Admittedly, getting prime is difficult for me out here in the sticks of WNC...but I am picky at the meat cutter and get very good cuts of choice cut to order. Local organic Angus from a farm about 15 miles down the road.

Ahhhh...food...I get windy about it..huh?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:40 am

Before I start in on my diatribe I make only 2 comments.

1. I have never had a bad meal in New Orleans.

2. To compare Oyster Stew with Clam Chowder, Red or White...nonsense... Southern Washington and Northern Oregon Coast where Clams and Oyster are put in fresh just before served...
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Never saw a white clam chowder not from a can until I was 35...and that was at a Legal Seafood joint in the airport somewhere. We, of course, have clams in the south but they were not in commercial quantities, and did make red chowder... the gulf coast loves oysters (clams were not indigenous until we started farming them). And if you want fresh, you used to not import...now fresh means frozen while fresh.

I have worked for several governors as their policy advisor/lobbyist for the seafood industry...was in early on Florida's aquaculture and marine conservancy efforts.

Having spent all of my life near the gulf, I find that I miss seafood up here in WNC...They can access flash frozen...but their idea of fish is farm raised trout...and that is not seafood...river food, maybe.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:44 pm

billybud wrote:Never saw a white clam chowder not from a can until I was 35...and that was at a Legal Seafood joint in the airport somewhere. We, of course, have clams in the south but they were not in commercial quantities, and did make red chowder... the gulf coast loves oysters (clams were not indigenous until we started farming them). And if you want fresh, you used to not import...now fresh means frozen while fresh.

I have worked for several governors as their policy advisor/lobbyist for the seafood industry...was in early on Florida's aquaculture and marine conservancy efforts.

Having spent all of my life near the gulf, I find that I miss seafood up here in WNC...They can access flash frozen...but their idea of fish is farm raised trout...and that is not seafood...river food, maybe.

The Northwest gets a lot of seafood fresh. You have to be careful of restaurants here that don't use fresh product. Offseason it will all be frozen. (Kind of like getting a great potato in Idaho, they all get shipped out.) A lot of Salmon comes from fresh water as the fish traverse to spawning grounds. Even now in the NW shellfish, oysters are farmed. Fresh dug razor clams and Dungeness Crab is always good.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:45 pm

And... if you want great food...go to dinner with Derek!

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:16 pm

In New Orleans charbroiled oysters are awesome. The ones I had at Drago's were the very best I had. There was a seafood gumbo I ate at a place across from Archie Manning's place that I could eat every day. As for Clam Chowder, I like the white kind I have had the tomato based in Seattle and it was good. but the traditional new England clam chowder from The Green Dragon Tavern in Boston with some hot sauce and a Sam Adams Brick Red is maybe one of the best things ever. If I had my choice I would have Lobster Benedict from Boston's north end for Breakfast, Green Dragon Chowder for Lunch, Dinner at Neptune Oyster and finish with a giant cannoli at Mike's pastry.

I like lots of different food. I have been in the food business all my life. I like Billy like to do my own steak - I can access prime, CAB, and Choice beef so I generally pick out what I ant and age it myself. But if you ever get a chance to go to Gallagher's in New York or Vegas it is worth the price. I also agree that Red Snapper is good. There is a restaurant in Orlando at the Gaylord called Moor that does Red Snapper very well. I like Southern BBQ and KC and Texas style as well. Most seafood. I saw a diver's scallops at Pike's Place that were big as a hockey puck, I didn't have any way to prepare them when I was there or I would have had some. Good dry scallops are very good. I like to make those myself too, they are really easy to over cook and become nasty.

I would like to one day get to Italy and do Italian where it all started. Maybe one day.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”