Who's Ready For Some Football?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Who's Ready For Some Football?

Postby highfly24 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:13 pm

I think Miami comes out hungry. Not sure if they stay that way week in/out. However, I see them handling LSU.

Lots of excitement around the Army program. Beat navy 2 yrs running, won the Commander in Chief trophy last year. Its been a steady climb of improvement since Jeff Monken took over. No Bradshaw at QB but plenty of strong backs and a pretty light schedule. Could be ugly at Oklahoma but no other game can they really be discredited. Like always tho, it comes down to the game in Philly. Beat Navy

I dont think the Michigan fans will be pleased with the results this year. That is a tough schedule, with both MSU and OSU on the road. Throw in Wisconsin and Penn State and I dont see them in the playoff picture. 3 losses is a good year for most teams, not sure this season at Michigan will be considered one of those. Should be.

Pac 12 South is interesting. USC has talent but do they have a QB? Arizona has one of the most exciting QB's in the country but will he get any help from the other side? ASU is good enough to upset a contender but not good enough to be one themselves. Utah quietly could be in the title game.

Fun tidbit about Florida I didnt realize or simply forgot that happened. One can certainly hope and cheer for this to be a theme for another year or two....or many. :D

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:34 pm

/
highfly24 wrote:Utah quietly could be in the title game.

Good observation. This is a team I let slip from my preseason purview, even though I've been pretty high on Utah under coach Wittingham. I think he's one of the best active coaches in the country, and has a tendency to get the most out of the players he has. The Utes may not wind up with the more apical recruiting classes. However, Wittingham gets total team effort from his guys, without the star player drama you see occurring at other programs/

highfly24 wrote:Fun tidbit about Florida I didnt realize or simply forgot that happened. One can certainly hope and cheer for this to be a theme for another year or two....or many. :D

Yes, many ... especially their season opener next year. [Sept. 1rst vs Miami]

Last Season final records [post Bowl game] Florida FBS schools:

UCF = 13-0
FAU = 11-3
USF = 10-2
Miami = 10-3
FIU = 8-4
FSU = 7-6
florida = 4-7

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:19 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:/
billybud wrote:5...Donovan and I are actually fairly simpatico...He is a Don Quixote who fights imaginary enemies (giants who turn out to be windmills, etc) and I, sadly, am his enabler. I wave my arms until he sees the windmill.

I would suggest that the majority of us on this site are like minded about most things.

That is one of the most perfect analogies I've seen on this board to date. :lol:

If everyone on this board said what they actually believe, like a tie, it would be as 'kissing your sister.'
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:13 am

donovan wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:/
billybud wrote:5...Donovan and I are actually fairly simpatico...He is a Don Quixote who fights imaginary enemies (giants who turn out to be windmills, etc) and I, sadly, am his enabler. I wave my arms until he sees the windmill.

I would suggest that the majority of us on this site are like minded about most things.

That is one of the most perfect analogies I've seen on this board to date. :lol:

If everyone on this board said what they actually believe, like a tie, it would be as 'kissing your sister.'

Sometimes playing devil's advocate is needed. If someone played devil's advocate when debating laws and policies inside political parties in this country instead of the all or nothing way they do things now, things would be lots better.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:57 pm

Sometimes playing devil's advocate is needed. If someone played devil's advocate when debating laws and policies inside political parties in this country instead of the all or nothing way they do things now, things would be lots better.

Certainly no argument on that. Not to get too political but I'm hearing the Illinois Governor race is setting records for most expensive ad campaign and we still have over 2 months to go. Cant say I think either of them are worthy to be elected but that's a reoccurring theme in politics.

Spence I was over in your area this summer. Around the 4th of July took the fam to Cincy, Dayton, and Columbus. It was a good time. Reds game, Air Force museum and a day at Ohio State. Never seen the stadium before, it was impressive. Nice lil cartoon museum on campus.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:13 pm

highfly24 wrote:

Certainly no argument on that. Not to get too political but I'm hearing the Illinois Governor race is setting records for most expensive ad campaign and we still have over 2 months to go. Cant say I think either of them are worthy to be elected but that's a reoccurring theme in politics.

Spence I was over in your area this summer. Around the 4th of July took the fam to Cincy, Dayton, and Columbus. It was a good time. Reds game, Air Force museum and a day at Ohio State. Never seen the stadium before, it was impressive. Nice lil cartoon museum on campus.

Wright Patterson air force Museum is cool. Sorry about you having to watch the reds this year. They should really pay the fans instead of the other way around. You should hit the shoe on game day. It is really impressive when it gets cranked up.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:50 am

I have been lucky enought to have been to the Shoe, the Big House at Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska, the Death Vallys of both LSU and Clemson.. the Swamp..

But I have been drawn to the pretty little stadiums at JMU, Western Carolina, and Appalachian State...not much more, and sometimes maybe less, than high school stadiums...they seem more akin to my school days experience and somehow, much less "corporate". I have attended games in these stadiums...same game, different feel
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Return to “General Discussion”