Ohio State

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Ohio State

Postby donovan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:30 am

Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:21 am

Hmmmmm, Ohio State experienced misjudgment by two of it’s employees. Those two employees experienced betrayal by one of their subordinates. After learning this, Ohio State took action to investigate what actually happened and once that determination was made Ohio State suspended two employees without pay for a period of time and discharged another.

What, in your thoughts, would have been more appropriate and correct???
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:22 am

If you suspend someone for three games, then he does not go back to work after one game albeit not attend the next two. Everyone knows that does not affect anything.

I do not think Meyer had any culpability in this whole thing. Ohio State did, that's fine, but don't give the world you are taking action when you are not.

The real story is the wrestling team. I do not know the specifics but there may have been issues there.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:55 am

donovan wrote:If you suspend someone for three games, then he does not go back to work after one game albeit not attend the next two. Everyone knows that does not affect anything.

I do not think Meyer had any culpability in this whole thing. Ohio State did, that's fine, but don't give the world you are taking action when you are not.

The real story is the wrestling team. I do not know the specifics but there may have been issues there.

Where did get that Ohio State suspended Meyer for three games??? Ohio State suspended Meyer and the AD without pay and some of their duties for a varying periods of time that just happened to be when three games were previously scheduled to be played.
”We’re already in a time where the on-field aspect of College Football is almost a distraction. It’s an era filled with handwringing about player empowerment, NCAA deregulation, the transfer portal and realignment all while the sport generally moves toward a professional model.” ~ Dennis Dodd

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:15 pm

Meyer has been allowed to coach after the first game since the beginning. He isn't allowed to be on the sideline for two more games. I don't know why it is this way because it doesn't make since, but this is the original suspension. Nothing has changed. He doesn't get paid for 3 games. It is a silly way of doing things. It has to do with Ohio State's president wanting to have a penalty that the BOT or Meyer didn't want.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:08 pm

I was in error. I apologize for casting aspersions on Ohio State University.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:58 pm

Spence wrote:Meyer has been allowed to coach after the first game since the beginning. He isn't allowed to be on the sideline for two more games. I don't know why it is this way because it doesn't make since, but this is the original suspension. Nothing has changed. He doesn't get paid for 3 games. It is a silly way of doing things. It has to do with Ohio State's president wanting to have a penalty that the BOT or Meyer didn't want.

Here’s this Hillbilly’s two cents worth, based on what I seen which is admittedly limited.

The President of Ohio State University was brilliant. He took a potentially very damaging and chatoic event for Ohio State and established order.

He directed his Athletic Director to fire Zach Smith, then conviened a group to investigate and find out what actually did happen. He then told his Board of Trustees, by his actions if not his words, that they hired HIM to manage the university, and then suspended two of his subordinates without pay for their hiring of Smith with prior knowledge of Smith’s past behavior....... and in my mind, he sent a message to both the AD and Coach Meyer that in these type of instances, your conduct and behavior going forward will determine your future at Ohio State.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:53 pm

Now that you have elucidated the entire event, I am again humbled by another Southerner.

Mountainman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mountainman » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:53 pm

donovan wrote:Now that you have elucidated the entire event, I am again humbled by another Southerner.

Genuinely sorry if my comments made you feel humbled........ I offer my assurance that was not my intend. Instead, I was simply offering my ‘two cents worth’ as I mentioned, based solely on my limited observations of the events I’m aware of. To me, it is simply a discussion where different takes and points of view are being shared. :|

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:03 pm

Mountainman wrote:
donovan wrote:Now that you have elucidated the entire event, I am again humbled by another Southerner.

Genuinely sorry if my comments made you feel humbled........ I offer my assurance that was not my intend. Instead, I was simply offering my ‘two cents worth’ as I mentioned, based solely on my limited observations of the events I’m aware of. To me, it is simply a discussion where different takes and points of view are being shared. :|

Please rest assured you are the fire that has lit up an ember fire. Being humble is a good thing. Mr. Billybud does that often, seldom do I acknowledge. Seldom do I let facts get the way of what I post. When it comes to people, I should.

With that said, I am glad you are here.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:59 pm

donovan wrote:I was in error. I apologize for casting aspersions on Ohio State University.

Actually we agree that this is all about the university trying to save face or make excuses. Ohio State basically conclude that both Meyer and Smith did what they were supposed to do as far as reporting, but decided to suspend them anyway.

My opinion on the whole thing is Meyer shouldn’t have ever hired Zach Smith. He wasn’t a very good coach. He only had a job because he was Earle Bruce’s grandson.
Meyer didn’t at the time, nor does he now believe Zack Smith did what Courtney Smith alleged. People say all the lies Courtney has told will come out in the trial involving Zack Smith violating a protection order. I don’t know who is telling the truth and I think they are both nuts. And I blame Meyer for letting that freak show go on in the background under his watch. It had to be a distraction for the other coaches and Meyer. I don’t believe anyone is responsible for what their employees do at home and after hours. Especially when the police do not deem anything happened. In Ohio if the police get called for a domestic violence situation, they are required to make an arrest if they think something is wrong. Whether anyone wants to press charges or not. Smith was never arrested at any point. I do hope the truth about what happed in this case comes out. Regardless, the school really comes away looking like fools. I guess because they are fools.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”