Ohio State

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Ohio State

Postby donovan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:19 am

How should this be handled?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Ohio State

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:12 am

*sigh* ... I just deleted a bunch of e-mails on this very topic.

The truth is; I do not believe we can make suggestions here, until we know whether Meyer for sure knew anything or not.

The problem is, that this is an easy lie out, where all those around Urban can speak on his behalf, claiming that he was never told about these allegations --- and in today's politicized society, where everything is a violation of conduct which can be held against you, knowingly or unknowingly, seems to make no difference. The very possibility that Meyer could have known is virtually enough to 86 someone's career.

Take a look a Greg Schiano.

He got fired from the head coaching position at Tennessee, before he even made it to his first day in the office, merely because he was associated with the Penn State Football program. Not because Schiano did anything wrong. Rather, he happened to be coaching there during some years when Jerry Sandusky was apart of the program. And Schinao was blamed by association. Even though there were never any accusations against Schiano for misconduct, or knowledge thereof.

So, in Meyer's case, he may already be gone. The University might be looking for his replacement as I type this.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:35 pm

Well....transcripts of email messages between the abused wife and Shelly Myer have been released....when Shelly tells the wife that she will talk to Urban about it...seems like it is reasonable to think that he was aware...he denies it, of course...

Since the wives of all assistant coaches were emailed...you'd think that the program was aware.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:42 pm

"The text messages provided by Courtney show that Shelley Meyer — a registered nurse and instructor of clinical practice at Ohio State’s college of nursing — and other wives of Ohio State coaches knew about the alleged domestic violence incidents for years. Courtney also said she shared with them pictures of bruises on her neck and arms from past beatings."

“Shelley said she was going to have to tell Urban,” Courtney said. “I said: ‘That’s fine, you should tell Urban.’ I know Shelley did everything she could.”

Further texts between Courtney and Lindsey Voltolini — the wife of Brian Voltolini, Ohio State’s director of football operations and a longtime member of Meyer’s staff — show Meyer spoke to Smith about the 2015 incident.

I think that Urban knew...his wife may be in a tough spot...telling the truth over protecting her husband and millions of dollars of annual income.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Myer knew of Smith's "problem" while he and Smith were at Florida....Zach Smith was arrested for felony assault against his pregnant wife.

I think this will come home to roost on Urban...It remains to be seen just what OSU will do about his lies.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:30 pm

This sounds like Penn State all over again. I am sure Ohio State will not dilly dally with its decision. There is a case to be made for all these multi million dollar coaches, just like any CEO...or as in the military "responsible for everything that happens or doesn't happen."

My bet...he's gone with severance package which bars recourse. He will now be on ESPN.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:50 am

I'm not a "fan" of Urban Meyer, for obvious reasons as a Dawg, so my opinion might be a little biased.

There are former players coming out talking about injuries sustained during training. As if that makes Urban a bad guy. Good thing none of them played under Bear Bryant.

This whole thing seems a little too coordinated. just my opinion.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:16 pm

I don't think you can exactly hold Meyer accountable for hiring Smith to Ohio St with prior knowledge of an incident that occurred in 2009. To me, that should have fallen on the head of the HR department.

There is something called background checks & screening. Any prior incidence involving domestic violence that had a filed police report would be an immediate flag. The HR personnel either already knew there was a problem, Or the HR department did not do their job properly, and did not do a thorough screening process.

If Meyer is held in violation of Ohio State's policy; it solely has to do with the 2015 occurrence. If the 2009 incidence is used as evidence against Meyer, then, the school is scapegoating him to save face.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:37 pm

Ohio State will not escape the issue(s) at hand. Seems to me they are best at firing coaches for egregious violations as in the Jim Tressel case involving a football jersey.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/02/us/politics/ohio-state-wrestlers-abuse-me-too.html

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:06 pm

I will throw in what I know and my two cents. First, this isn't a title nine issue because Courtney Smith isn't or hasn't been an employee of Ohio State and nothing is alleged to have happened anywhere on the university. Second, Zack Smith was never arrested after 2009 and police decided there was nothing actionable or Courtney Smith decided she didn't want to move forward. I'm not an expert on the law, but I thought that police do not need a spouse to move forward with charges if the officers decide there is something to the accusations. Third, and this is from the perspective of an employer, if an employee of mine is accused of beating his wife, but it doesn't happen at the job site, why should I be held responsible? I think if I had proof I have someone who beat his wife working for me I would probably let him go. I don't need someone like that working for me, but I'm not responsible for the actions of my employees while they aren't at work.

Now, on whether Urban Meyer knew what was going on. I don't see any way that his wife didn't talk to him about it. That doesn't seem believable to me. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that he knew for sure, but I don't think anyone would believe that he didn't know about his wife's interaction with Mrs. Smith. The question would be who he believed. Zack or Courtney. I do not believe that Meyer would at any time protect a coach to the point of losing his job. This isn't just a coach, though, Zack Smith is Earle Bruce's grandson. Earle Bruce gave Meyer his start on coaching and Meyer has said that except for his father, Earle Bruce was the most influential person in his life. If he were to protect a coach, Zack Smith would be that coach.

Tonight Zack Smith put his side of the story out which, of course, disputes Courtney Smith's story. I don't know what the truth is, but I know that this issue is going to be fought out in court. I think at some point the truth in their story will come out. We will just have to see it play out. As to the question of would Ohio State fire Meyer to protect their politically correct face - they absolutely would.

Now for an insight on how title nine works. I have a daughter in college right now. She was called to the school two weeks ago on a title nine issue. Someone turned her boyfriend in for assulting her and they brought her in to question her. She told my wife about it when she came home from the meeting. She also said it didn't happen. I have not had any reason to suspect anything was happening with them and they haven't really seen one another, except for a trip to a Red's game with us, all summer. She told the school it didn't happen and that there was nothing to it. Next week whe has to go back to the school, her boyfriend has to go too. He doesn't live close to the school so he has to take a couple days off from his summer job to appear in front of the school to defend himself against title nine allegations that the alleged victim says didn't happen. The person who made the accusations doesn't have to be there or answer any question. The boy thinks that an old girl friend made the accusation because she has threatened to do something in the past. They may never now. My point is this is how stupid these schools have become. Someone makes an accusation and this kid is being raked through the coals for something his "victim" says didn't happen. This isn't he said, she said. This someone said He denies, She denies. There are people in this world who are vindictive and would stoop to this level for their own reasons. Did this happen in the case of Zack and Courtney Smith? I have know idea. If he did what she accuses him of doing then I hope he never works as a coach again. The only reason that I would hold Urban Meyer responsible is if he used his influence to protect Zack Smith. If he did that - and no one is saying he did at this point - then he should be fired. If not, the university should reinstate him. What they will do is anyones guess, but if what we know now is everything, I don't see him losing his job over this.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:32 pm

My best guess, not knowing anything about it, is that with the wrestling issue coming forth, the school will be knee jerk and clean house. Meyer will be collateral damage. Fair? Probably not, but fairness left colleges long ago.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:47 am

That could happen. I don’t know thought. There are some things coming out locally that may have an impact on this story. The wrestling story is bad as far as I can tell. It will probably take down a congressman and on the aurface at least- looks like it should.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:00 am

"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:15 pm

/

Wow!

I really thought Ohio State was going to go all or nothing with Meyer. They also suspended the athletic director 2 weeks without pay.

I wonder how much of this was a public relations move. With the media having blown this story up, this was a way to look like they're being responsible on the surface.

How much of the situation at Maryland provide for a blanket of distraction? Because it feels as if the timing of that story filtered some of the heat off of Columbus.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:38 pm

It was absolutely a public relations move. Urban Meyer didn't believe one word of the statement he read. That was obvious to anyone that watched the press conference. He doesn't believe Courtney Smith to this day. There are some who believe the whole truth will come out in court when Smith defends against breaking a restraining order. Her mother has said that the domestic violence wasn't a one sided thing. I don't know. It Is my opinion that Zack Smith should have never been hired at Ohio State. Not because of his problems with his wife, but because he isn't a very good coach. It is clear that Urban Meyer has a blind spot where Earle Bruce is concern and that is how the guy got and kept his job. Based on everything I have heard about his character, even if he is 100% innocent in this thing with his wife, he is not a guy that anyone should have on their football staff.

As for the situation. If you remove Urban Meyer from it, I don't like the fact that someone can accuse someone of abuse and that person should be fired. Political correctness in this country has run amok. If someone alleges the were abused, there should be a standard of proof established to make sure it was real. Even if it is 100% accurate, If you report it to your superior, you have done what you should do. I don't no how anyone but Zack Smith is responsible for he actions. Now if Meyer called the police and interfered in the process then he is responsible. Other then that, If the police didn't think there was evidence to show abuse, then why should the school interfere. I honestly don't know if Courtney Smith was innocent or not. Zack Smith, in my view isn't innocent in lots of things. He should have never been hired. Hiring him in the first place was Meyers crime.

Return to “General Discussion”