College Football Nicknames ...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

College Football Nicknames ...

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:11 am

How many can you name in 10 minutes:

https://www.sporcle.com/games/cmal33/cfbnicknames

It is a couple of years old. I noticed, UAB is not on there, and they are using 128 teams; whereas there are currently 130 in the FBS.

The Average score is apparently 72%

Who, here, can best this score?

Good Luck :!:

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: College Football Nicknames ...

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:39 am

I got 100% with 1 minute and 5 seconds remaining.

Dang it, now my fingers hurt :lol:

Up at the top it will tell you your score, the average score, and give you a one-liner on your proficiency.

It told me: Sensational! Your parents must be so darn proud of you.

\

I found out that you do not need to space between names, such as: Scarlet Knights can be typed scarletknights.

You do not have to shift capitalize names. And once you've typed a name in, it auto sends it, so you do not have to hit enter.

Also, when you type in a team's nickname, such as; bulldogs, it will auto fill every team whose nickname is Bulldogs.

Take heed --- typos will work against you; as my fingers skipped the O during my frantic key tapping of the word Cowboys, which cost me some seconds --- you do not have to space or capitalize, but you do have to type the names precisely {however, Utah is listed as the Utes, and not the Running Utes}

Coastal Carolina is the other team not on the list. So no UAB [Blazers] & no Coastal Carolina [Chanticleers].

Okay, that's all the more help I'll give you ... It's up to you lot to do the rest.

Again, Good Luck!

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:47 pm

45%
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:53 pm

I should probably have mentioned that, since this is a few years old, Idaho is on this list [they are presently no longer in the FBS], and Liberty is not on this list.

So no ~ UAB Blazers, Coastal Carolina Chanticleers, or Liberty Flames.

And yes, to the Idaho [.......]

Cane... [__]

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:47 pm

So I put down Idaho and not you want to give me minus points. You remind me Cane of Mrs. Mooberry, (real name) in the second grade. She was a toughie, she was...
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:05 am

I got 70...but only because there are several schools the use Bulldogs. LOL!! 8) 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:06 am

I can't believe I drew a blank on some of the ones that I did....age and the fact that it's midnight. :cry: :cry:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:31 am

donovan wrote:So I put down Idaho and not you want to give me minus points. You remind me Cane of Mrs. Mooberry, (real name) in the second grade. She was a toughie, she was...

err ... I hope you realized that when I said, And yes, to the Idaho [.......] , it is because they Are on the list.

:lol:

Cane... [__]

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:36 am

Derek wrote:I can't believe I drew a blank on some of the ones that I did....age and the fact that it's midnight. :cry: :cry:

I know what you mean.

When I was doing the schools by conference, I kept drawing a blank when staring at the empty columns, and going; "uh-oh shoot! Why can't I think clearly" ...

It's the pressure of the clock, I tell you.

Cane... [__]

MichaelFrusa
Recruit
Recruit

College Football Nicknames

Postby MichaelFrusa » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:20 am

Not that well find out tonight, but does anyone want to go on record as a believer in Tennessee this year?

:)

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:38 am

/

Tennessee is not going to win their conference this year. However, I do believe they'll improve on last season's record of 4-8 ... the Vols lost every conference game a year ago, and I cannot see them letting that happen again.

Jeremy Pruitt is a decent coach. And, if he truly is the guy Tennessee will use to reboot the system going forward, they should be okay down the line.

This season, things may be a little rough going. They do not quite have the talent to keep pace with the top dogs in the SEC. West Virginia won the opener vs Tenn pretty soundly. So, don't expect the Vols to be ready this soon.

The next two games on Tennessee's schedule should help them get all of the glitches in the mechanics worked out ... or, at least those ones they'll be able to knock out with the personnel currently on the roster. Next up for the Volunteers:

September 8th [home game] vs. East Tennessee [FCS opponent]
September 15th [home game] vs. UTEP [CUSA, was 0-12 last year]

Those games should help to develop what works, and what should be set aside, in real time competition.

They'll need those games, too. because on the following weekend, conference play begins for them when Florida visits Knoxville. Florida, last season, was just as bad, finishing with a 4-7 record. The downside for Tenn was, one of Florida's 4 wins happened to be against the Vols.

Both of these programs will need a win in that game. So it will certainly be interesting to see where each team is in the aftermath.

However, even if they do win, Tennessee won't be able to enjoy it for long, as the very next week, they travel to Athens to take on Georgia.

Then we'll know for sure just how far along Tennessee is after that game ends.

Unfortunately, October will be tough, having back to back to back games vs Auburn [in Auburn] - Alabama - South Carolina [in Columbia] ... now that's a tough stretch for any team, let alone a rebuilding one.

November may actually be the best month of football for Tennessee, where they can make the year feel more successful winning out.

November 3rd [home game] vs. Charlotte
November 10th [home game] vs. Kentucky
November 17th [home game] vs. Missouri
November 24th @ Vanderbilt

All of which look very manageable, as well, could help with their confidence going into the post season, especially if they surprise someone who no body is expecting them to beat, somewhere earlier during conference play.

Overall, I think Tennessee will be improved. How much, we'll just have to wait and see.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”