New Tranfer rules

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

New Tranfer rules

Postby Spence » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:58 am

"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: New Tranfer rules

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:41 am

Yeah, I was just looking this over.

Schools not being able to block a transfer. I like it, so long as we don't see kids jumping from school to school.

Ultimately, it really should come down to where a student feels most comfortable.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:58 pm

I don't really have a problem with it as long as players and coaches don't turn it into a free agency type of situation. I will spread the wealth around more than the top team probably care for, but I don't see where that would hurt the sport.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:43 pm

I see this as a defensive move on the NCAA's part. They for so long have not represented the students that they have become a Monopoly. This will take that pressure off. I do not think it is a good thing for the student. They need to be able to transfer with greater ease...but schools will not make the investment if they don't have some control.

What you will see is more negotiating out of high school. Scholarships will be given with stipulations. The possibilities are endless. The benefit to the school is they will fire kids...Two QB's vying for one spot...both good and certainly better than some other schools. Coach Foghorn Leghorn says to QB #2, "Boy, (He is from a Southern School.) 'Boy, I say, boy, you have exceeded the limitations of my medication,' you need, I say you need, to transfer."

There will be more yearly renewable scholarships at big schools with stringent requirements.

In the end, the student will suffer...follow the money.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:57 pm

Yes ... then again.

If promises get made, and a kid sees he's not going to be the guy he was projected to be, because another hotshot recruit younger than himself signs the ship log, and is now the next best thing; it may just be more beneficial to explore other options where he possibly could become better acclimated.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:33 pm

Programs do not recruit just one QB for four years...they may have five in the roster...with a new hot shot arriving every year.

Cane is right...kids that see themselves buried on the depth chart do transfer....

Or...you may get a Willie Taggart for a new coach...who's offense does not feature a fullback... like FSU has traditionally played. Sooo...if the roster already has big RB's...the full backs may transfer.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:43 pm

Now, That, is insightful.

This is one dynamic of the rule I did not consider, yet is certainly applicable. New coaches coming in with a playbook that utilizes less of the players already on the roster. Transferring could be their solution.

As for other concerns, there is the new Red Shirt rule that is going into effect.

A Red Shirt player may participate in up to 4 games without sacrificing a year of eligibility:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2781 ... e-football

This really benefits the elites, as now they are able to promise kids positions, Red Shirt them, and play them in 4 games. Then, the program gets to use the kid 3 seasons, while they keep him for 3 years, before he becomes eligible for the nfl draft.

I know 4 games is not a full season. But it is 1/3 of the regular season. And the player will still be considered a RS Sophomore after 4 games, +2 full years of playtime.

Cane... [__]

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:56 am

These two changes may not be so separate. A kid comes in with all sorts of promises (they all do) and hopes. They know they can play in up to four games without "penalty." If they don't get the opportunity to play in whatever number of games they think they should, might be a good reason to transfer and as they still keep their redshirt status they would be like a new recruit with four years playing time.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “General Discussion”