Spring Practice 2018

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Spring Practice 2018

Postby donovan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:44 am

I know this is the news that you all have waited with bated breath. Boise State has started their Spring Training with more modest hyperbole than I note from other schools. The press also has given some very insightful comments about this years team.

1. A slow start would not be good.
2. The defense lost a lot of players but a bunch of no-names on the roster should make them equal to last year.
3. The offense needs to increase their running prowess and the passing game needs to be sharp. (And the stands should sell more hot dogs...very important.)
4. Under a new strategy, they are going to take just one game at a time.
5. Ad nauseum.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Spring Practice 2018

Postby Spence » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:47 pm

Sounds a lot like Ohio State's spring practice. We do have a QB competition going on, so that dominates most of the news. I think the only reason there is a competition is that they want to make sure the one who isn't going to make it doesn't transfer to Michigan.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:36 am

FSU's Spring Practice:

1...different vibe this year. Jimbo's practices were accentuated by coaches yelling and cursing. Taggart has music playing...the kids seem to be energized and like the music.

2...this week is week two and the pads went on...serious battles, lots of popping.

3...Taggart like competition and team spirit...so a lot of one on one drills....a linebacker having to shed a WR block and tackle a RB (between cones). That sort of thing.

4...According to the videos, the kids jump around and congratulate the participants in good plays...

I think this Taggart guy will be just fine....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:03 pm

I hope he will. If he has found a home, I think he has savvy. He left Oregon unceremoniously by even the lowest of standards, imo. I do like the toughness of him, but on a lighten up platform. Oregon looks like they will be solidly in the middle of the pack. Need a war on mediocrity.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:56 am

And now is the opportunity the Beavers need to gain some ground. Though, I don't know exactly how much they can gain, as miserable as they've been in recent years. But if they are ever going to make a move forward, this is the time to do it.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:46 pm

I have lambasted Donovan and the left coasters as being left leaning, volvo driving, latte slurping, hipsters,,,,and now, gasp! I am driving a new Volvo...actually, a nice car...

Or it will be nice once I raise the suspension, put on big mudders, a NASCAR and NRA sticker...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:55 pm

I have prayed for you to be safe, it's a start, a long journey, but a start.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:21 am

OMG...this darn car's GPS flashes red when approaching a Starbuck's and the radio seems stuck on James Taylor...I guess rainbow stickers were just a bit too flashy to be standard equipment for the dour Swedes

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:25 am

But in another sense, this is a very Republican automobile...after two plaintive beeps, you get no further harassment about having to buckle up....and the seats get very hot.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:43 pm

and...this Volvo GPS drives me nuts..."Go left, go left, go left now" ...four straight commands to go left brings you back to start...a Volvo GPS seems to be incapable of saying "go right".

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:12 pm

And here, you said it was Republican.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Meanwhile, back on topic ...

Saturday is Miami's Spring game. I'm curious to see what they are putting together. I keep hearing how this offense is starting to look more like a Mark Richt package; though we'll only know when we see it on field.

Although it is yet early, I have two apprehensions from what I've seen so far, which I'm hoping improvements will be addressed this weekend.

Firstly, Richt stated Malik Rosier was ahead of everybody in the quarterback race. My hope, is this being do to his becoming more polished as he gels with the other players. We could easily have had an undefeated regular season [I still think we'd have lost to Clemson] if Rosier would have been more accurate & consistent. The `Canes would also have won most of the games played, but larger margins of victory, as Malik had a tendency to miss wide open receivers [weekly].

However, if Rosier is playing the same, then our QB situation is getting any better, meaning the younger guys aren't a step up.

[on the progress of quarterback play]
Mark Rcht: "Malik is ahead of everybody as far as just knowing what to do and how to do it, there is no question. Even throughout the week - we are at nine, we had eight other practices - it was very evident. If we are going to try and run our total system, he's more than well equipped to do it ... N'kosi is much better, and he's getting it, and he's also I think seeing, if you sit there and watch what Malik does and see some of the things that maybe a younger guy wouldn't have figured out. You can see where having that experience to get us in the right play can make all the difference in winning a play, in winning a game ... But, N'kosi has come a long way. Cade's [Weldon] come a long way. Unfortunately Cade's got conjuntivitis and he wasn't able to go; he's highly contagious right now ... I'll say this about Jarren [Williams]. Sometimes I use the term - he doesn't know that he doesn't know. Sometimes he's just back there and feeling things. But when he does throw it at things, he usually hits it, which is pretty good. And I'll say that he's learning at a very rapid pace. And him being here in the Spring is really good for him, and good for us."

The second thing that needs serious fixing, is the O-line. In the 1rst team Offense vs 1rst team Defense scrimmage, the D-Ends were beating the Tackles off the line, blazing past blocks, and causing a lot of QB pressure. And you cannot get any production from the running game, if there aren't any gaps to run through.

The same seemed to be true of the 2cnd team Offense vs 2cnd team Defense.

The defenses in the ACC are quick, and this will be a problem if we don't improve. Of course, it is in fact early. Several months to prepare. But it will be interesting to see where we are come Saturday.

Cane... [__]

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:00 am

Boise State's spring game is today. The format is like a practice with the coaches prancing around showing they fans they are coaching. (Dang it's going to be a cynical day.) Tickets are 10 bucks, parking is free, so is staying home and playing Monopoly, and the $ go to some charity which is probably the best thing about it. It is raining and will be cold because rain sucks the heat out of the air. The after game report will be the same for 124 other college teams playing a Spring game. I am not going because...

I am going Eugene to watch a Granddaughter run in the Oregon Relays. Now if I could only cruise down I-5 in a new Volvo, I would think I was in heaven and get all kinds of accolades from Eugenenitonians. Heading into the World Headquarters for Liberal Academia only happens under these genealogical circumstances...and it is worth it.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:26 am

Here are the reports that make it all clear.

Boise State: For those among the 8,568 fans on hand Saturday at Boise State football’s annual spring game who wanted to see the stars of today, they got exactly what they wanted.

Florida State: A program-record crowd of 60,934 showed up at Doak Campbell Stadium for the spring finale.

Grandaughter did well at Oregon Relays. 1st and 2nd. Was a High School Invitational. As a side note, Hayward Field, dedicated solely to track and field, is amazing. As for Eugene, even a Volvo is too conservative for that group. Signs at every corner, Right away to bikes and peds and I saw more of those roller skate cars than I could count. A town full of commies.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:02 pm

Ohio State charges $5.00. It was cold this year so I didn't go. They were hoping for 70,000 but I don't know if they got it. Ohio State is looking for the next QB. There is a battle going on between 3 right now. All three look close to me. That probably means they aren't that good.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”