Malek Young

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Malek Young

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:36 am

I hate typing these posts. I've tried in the past to keep pace, and submit messages as these sort of things become known; regardless of which team is associated with said Athlete.

In this case, it is a harder because I feel closer to the community.

It's bad enough when reporting on an injury, and attempting to guesstimate the return of a player, especially if he is going to miss an entire season.

I've known about this since Saturday afternoon, but simply couldn't get myself post on it until now.

Miami Hurricanes Sophomore Cornerback, #12 Malek Young underwent Neck surgery after complications due to an injury he sustained in the 1rst quarter of the Orange Bowl vs Wisconsin.

After prognosis, he was found to have an aggravated Vertebra in the Neck area, which has ended his football playing days.

Malek Young played the final three games of the 2016 football season, as a True Freshman.

In 2017, Malek started all 13 games, had 43 tackles, while recording 2 interception. He was also the first player to wear the Turnover Chain.

---

Malek Young: "After discussions with my family and the UM medical staff we have determined that my football career should come to an end. I look forward to getting healthy, working towards my degree and continuing to support my teammates, as I know they will continue to support me. I trust that God has a better plan”.

Mark Richt: “While we’re disappointed that Malek’s football career is over, his health is our top priority. Malek is a terrific young man, one who I’m confident will go on to accomplish great things. He will remain on full scholarship and we will support him every step of the way.”

---

Malek was such a bright spot on the defense. He is a very stable and well minded young man. It is a shame that a kid with so much promise & potential will no onger be able to pursue his dream.

I wish Malek all the best in his future endeavors.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Malek Young

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:01 am

It is bad his football career is over. The fact that he can otherwise live a normal life and still get his education lets him be in a better position than lots of his peers. I hope he takes full advantage of his opportunities and does well.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:10 am

It is good that Miami, like most programs, continues the scholarship for a player unable to play because of injury. And the scholly does not count against the athletic limits..
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:51 pm

Always sad. Sports seem to be a microcosm of life. I note Hilinski, the Washington State QB who took his own life a few weeks ago, (Faulk is wearing his jersey in the Senior bowl and gave a very nice affirmation of getting young men preventative help.

As Mr.Billybud said, so good the rules have changed. There, we all remember, so real horror stories.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:46 pm

Yes I agree. Letting the kid keep his scholarship is the very least a school can do for a kid who gets hurt playing a sport for that school.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”