SEC! SEC! SEC!!

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: SEC! SEC! SEC!!

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:12 am

You folks must wonder just how nuts Billy really is.....this forum is an outlet to exercise my ever withering brain.

So I wander far afield. But then, as they say, all who wander are not lost.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:54 pm

I don't think anyone, certainly not I, have ever thought your mind was withering. I always struggle to come back to your comments with some type of retort and have yet to succeed. You are correct this board is an outlet for so many things not related to football, but expressed in football terms. You and I, maybe others, understand the ravages of war. In fact, we live in a world of sports analogies, they go on ad nauseum, and as I now reflect on them, I am thinking they are in fact, euphemisms for war.

I spend the majority of my time on the Northern Oregon Coast. Daily I am humbled by my insignificance. I have spent a life in Mountains and know that same feeling can be obtained there.

On to other things. . . The question you propose, "Shouldn't the two best teams meet in the championship?" The answer is an unequivocal no. There should be a bracket system, which there is (as sketchy as it is, with conferences.) Whoever wins on the field moves up. Some sports seed players, not sure how that would work. Others handicap, that is done in football, all but the largest schools are marginalized. Some claim to have a World Series, not allowing only a few Canadian teams to enter. Some have divisions, like football, only they mean something. The best analogy I can think of with the CFP is professional wrestling.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:24 pm

Seeding is exactly what the Committee does....the top 25...of who, the top four play off.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:34 pm

billybud wrote:Seeding is exactly what the Committee does....the top 25...of who, the top four play off.

I think you are serious. Now that I think of it, maybe they do. That increases the odds of having a money match in the finals, just like tennis.

Speaking of conspiracies, I read this morning the Rodriguez got fired. Some accusations. First the verdict, then the trial.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:03 pm

billybud wrote:No Spence...War Is Not a Sport.

But the similarities are definitely there.....In war, you have a very real team concept at the sharp point of the stick...brothers, camaraderie, sacrifice for the "team"...game plans are drawn up and adjusted as action on the field dictates.

War is a contest, as is football, the teams wear uniforms in both instances, one team may assume a offfensive position while another defends....our lingo reflects those aspects...when we speak of football linemen "in the trenches". we aren't talking about being dug in along the Marne...but that is the clear reference.

Baseball, in contrast to football, seems much less war like. And I suspect that it is because it is a less violent sport

Down here...the Creeks and Muscogees definitely knew that their quite violent game of ball was a war substitute...and often used to manage inter village conflict.

I am old enough to remember the incessant weekly "body counts" that had to be forwarded up to Westmoreland....so that the "score" of the other side was in the context of our "score".

No...one can piously opine that war is not a sport...but we can hardly ignore the similarities.

(PS...I'll leave it to Donovan to talk about the military-industrial complex conspiracy re wars and compare it to the entertainment industry sports conspiracy re college football)

I didn’t argue that one way or another about the comparing war to sport. It is too big a can of worms for my small brain to open. I do believe some version of what I argue. I also sometimes move pretty far out on a ledge trying to make my point. When I do you guys usually go ahead and push me off it. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:05 pm

My point, is that if you wanted a second SEC championship game, you should have played it in the Sugar Bowl as the first round.

I do not see how seeding 4 teams with virtually the same record is somehow coalescing a legitimate bracket, other than, Alabama was the only team of the three who was not a conference champion, and could not have been, due to the fact they were unable to play for the conference title, because they lost to the team who eventually lost their division in the conference championship game.

Alabama lost to Auburn --- Georgia lost to Auburn

The difference, is that Georgia got to play Auburn a second time to correct that loss. [or at least break even making it a half loss of sorts]

Alabama will have to wait until next season to make up for that loss. Since Alabama losing to Auburn made them ineligible to play against Georgia for the SEC title.

So, what exactly have they done to make them eligible to play for a National title, besides some arbitrary consensus established to keep the status quo from being upset?

Because if Alabama beating Georgia somehow verifies an ideology that the Tide could beat Auburn, and thereby rectifies their loss to Auburn by beating a team who defeated Auburn [Georgia] when playing them a second time --- then by that logic, one could say if Alabama beats Georgia, then the National Champions for this season are really UCF, since they were the only undefeated team at the end of the year, who beat Auburn straight up the first time they met.

Now, I'm not suggesting that UCF be crowned the National Champions --- however, if Alabama wins, and the logic is "because they beat the team, who beat the team, who beat themselves", then the team who beat the team that didn't lose could self acknowledge a National Championship, and would be justified in doing so.

I know, I know, I know --- UCF did not play a Championship Season --- their schedule strength was abysmal --- ect, ect, blah, blah, blah ...

It kills me that this is the take, when, by placing the in the Tournament, you either prove they don't belong, by seeing them lose. Or, they prove the namesake mainstay establishment wrong, by winning ...

Because they would have to beat two top 4 ranked opponents in back to back weeks. The same as anyone else who wins the playoff.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:43 pm

UCF is hanging a National Champion Banner. Good for them. It's as good and any other.

I have a friend that has a doctorate. I said where did you get it. "Homeschooled." Why not?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:21 am

Yep...declare a victory and go home....sometimes meaningless gestures are comforting. Why the heck do they object so much to the Rebel battle flag flying, I wonder?

Clemson hangs up conference championship banners for the years that they lose the conference on a tie breaker....as I am learning to play the guitar, my wife says "that was almost a tune".

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:43 am

So was that encouragement or cynicism about your guitar playing? You don’t get tone in a post. :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:00 am

Spence...I am coming along OK for the couple of months I've been learning...I have acquired a few guitars..a Martin, a Breedlove (arrived yesterday) and a Michael Kelly electric...if I don't learn how to play, I can become a collector.

And then there is the ancillary equipment...amp, mike, pedal, cords, etc.

I have sung my middle age love song to my beloved...Magnolia Wind
"I'd rather sleep in a box...like a bum in the street
Than a fine feather bed...without your little ole cold feet

And I'd rather be deaf...dumb, and stone blind
than know that your mornings would never be mine.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:14 pm

I always wanted to play. I started to learn how, but learning how and playing are two different things and I will never play. I don't have the rhythm gene. It is in my family, but skipped me.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:02 am

billybud wrote:Spence...I am coming along OK for the couple of months I've been learning...I have acquired a few guitars..a Martin, a Breedlove (arrived yesterday) and a Michael Kelly electric...if I don't learn how to play, I can become a collector.

And then there is the ancillary equipment...amp, mike, pedal, cords, etc.

I have sung my middle age love song to my beloved...Magnolia Wind
"I'd rather sleep in a box...like a bum in the street
Than a fine feather bed...without your little ole cold feet

And I'd rather be deaf...dumb, and stone blind
than know that your mornings would never be mine.

Nice guitar. I like the Martin sound.

I play bass at local churches. I have a 78 Fender P-bass (my pride and all original), a 5-string Ibanez, and a fretless bass that I don't think I've touched in 10+ years.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:50 am

Who would have known? Maybe you and Mr. Billybud could go on the road. I think Spence would manage you for 10%....errrr 15%.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:06 pm

donovan wrote:Who would have known? Maybe you and Mr. Billybud could go on the road. I think Spence would manage you for 10%....errrr 15%.

15% and expenses of course.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:16 pm

Spence wrote:
donovan wrote:Who would have known? Maybe you and Mr. Billybud could go on the road. I think Spence would manage you for 10%....errrr 15%.

15% and expenses of course.

Then you'll be eating a lot of McDonalds and Ramen Noodles. 8) 8)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”