Auburn v UCF

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Auburn v UCF

Postby billybud » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:03 am

Trigger was a definite horse of the west.

He ended up getting stuffed.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:35 am

billybud wrote:Trigger was a definite horse of the west.

He ended up getting stuffed.

And his life was another example of sports injustice. He was the best; I saw him run in many movies, the fastest horse in the picture, yet every year when the Kentucky Derby selections were made, he never got a bid. The "Committee" decided that the QHOF (Quality of Horse Flesh) was not as strong as others and the fact he always won his chases against all the others, he never scheduled a movie with Champion, Silver, Buttercup, Topper, et. al. Even after many years, he was the small "c" champion of the harras (Why you ask? he never bred.) Still, he couldn't get a bronze statue, so they stuffed him!

So the Confederate (I'm good if people want to fly the Stars and Bars) manipulation and 'jockeying' of sports is nothing new. {There are others but I can not reveal them at this time} * I never get to use curly braces.

*You can be sure I will!
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:29 pm

Yep...Trigger was a great "Hollywood horse"....

But, as a trivia piece, is the only actual horse that is associated with NFL football.

A large mold of Trigger was made to top the Roy Rogers museum in California and a 24 foot tall Trigger statue was placed on top...(now in Branson, Mo.).

The Denver Broncos had the statue replicated by that sculptor and had the mold broken...and that statue now known as "Bucky the Bronco" overlooks the stadium from above the scoreboard (south end).

So...yes...Trigger found anonymous football immortality.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:39 pm

And, since Boise ripped off the Denver Broncos for their colors/images, I can see your affinity for this Hollywood horse.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:46 pm

Talk about deflecting the issue at hand. I must say I did not know that about Trigger...

And, not that facts ever mean anything....Boise started in 1933 with Bronco and Blue and Orange and the Denver wannabee's in 1959.
Last edited by donovan on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:53 pm

And......It must have been a slow day at the New York Times. Look how the legal beagles, as in Mr. Billybud, get their hands in everything.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/11/sports/ncaafootball/boise-state-mounts-a-paper-defense-of-its-home-turf.html

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:05 pm

I don’t know anything much about trigger, but Roy Rogers grew up about 30 miles from where I live. They have a festival honoring him every year. I’ve never been to it though.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”