Auburn v UCF

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Auburn v UCF

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:54 pm

Ugh ... just the mere mention of Dallas and traffic in the same sentence evokes images & thoughts on Maze of Bridges.

Sometimes, you'd rather just go around.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:31 pm

This is a perfect example of why I enjoy this board. Talking about UCF's perfect season and the win over Auburn in Atlanta to how bad traffic is in Dallas. Its exactly what we do when having a few drinks catching up with friends. Never driven in Dallas but the airport has left a sore taste in mouth on more than one occasion.

Given what the SEC and Big 10 have done so far it sure looks like Ohio State should have gotten in over Alabama. I just hope Clemson comes out and gets it down. Will see what happens tonight but I do see the call for 8 team playoff getting louder, Big 10 now joining the chorus Big 12 sang last year. I just hope if they do, it includes 6 auto bids; the power 5 autos and the best from group of 5. UCF, Houston, Boise, there is a reoccurring theme that says the cream of that crop can hold up. The middle and bottom of those confs are weaker but that is not cause to dismiss the top.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:35 pm

highfly24 wrote:This is a perfect example of why I enjoy this board. Talking about UCF's perfect season and the win over Auburn in Atlanta to how bad traffic is in Dallas. Its exactly what we do when having a few drinks catching up with friends. Never driven in Dallas but the airport has left a sore taste in mouth on more than one occasion.

Given what the SEC and Big 10 have done so far it sure looks like Ohio State should have gotten in over Alabama. I just hope Clemson comes out and gets it down. Will see what happens tonight but I do see the call for 8 team playoff getting louder, Big 10 now joining the chorus Big 12 sang last year. I just hope if they do, it includes 6 auto bids; the power 5 autos and the best from group of 5. UCF, Houston, Boise, there is a reoccurring theme that says the cream of that crop can hold up. The middle and bottom of those confs are weaker but that is not cause to dismiss the top.

I don't see that at all. I think UCF, if anyone, should have gotten a shot. If this season has taught us anything it is that people - even the experts - don't really know how to pick the best teams.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:37 pm

highfly24 wrote:This is a perfect example of why I enjoy this board. Talking about UCF's perfect season and the win over Auburn in Atlanta to how bad traffic is in Dallas. Its exactly what we do when having a few drinks catching up with friends. Never driven in Dallas but the airport has left a sore taste in mouth on more than one occasion.

That's exactly what they want....6 or 8 teams. The controversy serves them well.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:57 pm

When a vehicle on the freeway cuts over two lanes of traffic to make an exit, I call that a "Texas turn." I see it every day. :roll:
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:16 pm

Spence wrote:
I don't see that at all. I think UCF, if anyone, should have gotten a shot. If this season has taught us anything it is that people - even the experts - don't really know how to pick the best teams.

I completely agree UCF should have gotten in but they were never even given a hint of consideration. Couldn't even make the top 10 prior to today's win. I was going with teams that were actually considered. Which gets back to the larger problem of why so few are considered. "Experts" too often see green before game.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:32 pm

highfly24 wrote:
Spence wrote:

I completely agree UCF should have gotten in but they were never even given a hint of consideration. Couldn't even make the top 10 prior to today's win. I was going with teams that were actually considered. Which gets back to the larger problem of why so few are considered. "Experts" too often see green before game.

I don't really have a problem with the teams that made it. With Alabama, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and USC not really passing the eye test, this would have been a good time to give a team like USF a chance. The whole problem with this system is that there are really only about 20 teams in the country that legitimately have a shot because of how subjective they have made it.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:36 pm

Alabama passes the eye test IMO. They're not vintage Alabama, but they're probably still the best team in the country. I maintain that you should have to be a conference champion to get in. The committee wanted Bama/Clemson to knock each other out so they didn't get a 3-peat. This is the real national title game if you're going off of "power rankings" which is what the committee claims to do.

Although I wouldn't count Georgia out against a non-vintage Alabama team, but I would bank on them choking.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:15 am

Blasting through and around Houston and San Antonio on a Harley is always an adventure....But no worse than coming into Atlanta from the North. My wife and I had to take to the shoulder once at 70 (with our legs up on the tank to avoid losing them to the concrete barrier) to avoid being crushed by a weaving commuter who didn't see us as she slammed over a lane.

I skinned my crash bar but stayed up...we hate having to go through Atlanta to get south.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:29 pm

Old Ducker wrote:When a vehicle on the freeway cuts over two lanes of traffic to make an exit, I call that a "Texas turn." I see it every day. :roll:

If a vehicle is sitting at a red light in the far left turn lane, then the arrow light turns green, and cuts across 4 lanes of traffic to turn right; in the South Bend area we call them Michigan drivers.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:43 pm

In the Wild West, there is only one lane, lightly pull the right light and somehow the horse knows where to go. 1HP
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:31 pm

The horse usually does no where "to go"...The tail comes up and they don't even break stride...right down the traffic lane.

That's why the shovel brigades follow the horses in a parade.....the G5's of the parade.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:24 pm

billybud wrote:The horse usually does no where "to go"...The tail comes up and they don't even break stride...right down the traffic lane.

That's why the shovel brigades follow the horses in a parade.....the G5's of the parade.

Eastern horses work just like those in the West. That is what FFA kids are for.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:58 pm

donovan wrote:
billybud wrote:The horse usually does no where "to go"...The tail comes up and they don't even break stride...right down the traffic lane.

Eastern horses work just like those in the West. That is what FFA kids are for.

Seabiscuit would disagree about Eastern horses. What people forgot at the time, is that he WAS an Eastern horse.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:58 am

Seattle Slew...well I know he lived in the East but what the heck. How about Trigger...now there is a real horse.

Return to “General Discussion”