Army San Diego State

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Army San Diego State

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Tough to have a better Saturday afternoon game to watch. Both teams were excellent to watch. Army's special teams almost gave them a reason to lose, but even in the end that did not give up. (How come after the interception touchdown at the end by Army did they not have to have an after point try?)
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Army San Diego State

Postby highfly24 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:15 pm

And exhale....that was a fun game. Penny is a fantastic back and never received the national recognition he deserved but he was all but unstoppable today. Army with 85 plus running plays tho, even for them that is almost unfathomable. I dont think anyone expected many passes and the ground game did not disappoint that's for sure. Army's special teams certainly has been questionable this season. The return before half was a tough blow but a ten minute drive to open the second half really took away any momentum SDSU felt coming out of half. Needed to score on that drive though and the last kickoff was almost disastrous too. Would like to see some improvements but I like what Coach Monken is doing at West Point. I hope he sticks around for many more seasons. Beat navy!

The previous game, between USF and Texas Tech ended as a thriller too. Good morning/afternoon of bowl games indeed.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:50 pm

Those first two games were amazing ... Army getting that fumble recovery and running the ball in to shut down any miracle finish. And you gotta Love the moxie. When Army scored that Touchdown on their final drive, I was saying, you have to go for it ... and they did. Put a smile on my face; that blocking on the right outside line was fantastic.

Congrats to Army on a 10-3 season!

It's just too bad Toledo didn't show up --- What, did they have their scout team in there or something? You're 11-2, and Appalachian St had barely played anyone with a pulse; that is, anyone that they beat, anyway.

34-0 --- ?What Happened?

My hat's off to Appalachian State. Toledo was simply outmatched in every aspect of the game.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Some games are great...and some seem like only one team wants to play....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:48 pm

billybud wrote:Some games are great...and some seem like only one team wants to play....

I think that is as good a reason as any to cut down on how many bowls there are each year. Teams that don’t want to be there should sit it out.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:01 pm

Spence wrote:
billybud wrote:Some games are great...and some seem like only one team wants to play....

I think that is as good a reason as any to cut down on how many bowls there are each year. Teams that don’t want to be there should sit it out.

Sometimes the fans don't want to be there either. Fresno State and Houston are playing to an empty stadium.
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:50 am

Yeah, and I'll tell you, I would have Loved to have gone to that game.

Bowl in Hawai`i ... I can think of a worse way to spend Christmas Eve.

This was a good game though. Even if there weren't so many in attendance. It was pretty much what I expected; and the team I wanted to win did.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:17 am

Spence wrote:

Cant argue with this. Its not just the number of bowl games but the amount of days that have 3-4 games. Half the matchups are of mild interest and then choose between 20 days of games. I'd rather see about 12 on Jan 1st and a healthy amount New Years Eve. It makes for a great day to have family and friends and just watch bowl games on a couple different TVs.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:39 pm

Remember when it was, Bowl week..?

Now we have 15 days spreading a vacillating number of games --- 3 one day, 1 the next, 4 the next, back to 1, then 2 --- it becomes hard to follow for even the most diligent fan.

It makes things less interesting for the title game, when you have so many bowls jammed into two weeks, then have a 7 day layoff with no games from the 1rst to the 8th.

Cane... [__]

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:46 am

I remember recording a lot of bowl games on VHS not too many years ago and then later on DVD. Even the sorry lower ranks bowls. I have some good ones also. I have, in the offseason, gone back and watched a DVD of a game here or there. Nowadays, there are so many I have no care about watching.

Return to “General Discussion”