You know who I blame for the Rosebowl loss?... Ill tell you

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:08 pm

I'm not sure Mike Stoops had much to do with it. The Sooner D played pretty well in that game. Unless it was a morale thing. As I recall, LSU got behind the Sooner secondary a few times in that game, but that was the Oklahoma defense's weakness that year. Okla St. got behind it too.
Last edited by Spence on Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:10 pm

Jason White will win the biggest of the big games though, even though he's not in the NFL, Jason will most likely retire with more money than Matt Leinart. Jason White just took a job as an investment banker in Oklahoma City, he has an automatic yes from anyone he ever tries to get a meeting with in the state of Oklahoma. Who wouldn't want to spend a day on the golf course with a Heisman Trophy winning Sooner?

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:17 pm

LubbockHasNoTrees wrote:I hate to break it to you, but it would've only been a second title. LSU won the title 2 years ago... :wink:

Exactly!! More ESPN crap.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:19 pm

rolltide wrote:Wow geez... is this what will happen to me if we get an Auburn fan in here??? haha. We all know Auburn fans don't know how to use computers. That was just a joke Auburn fans!!

BUT a good one... :lol:

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:15 pm

mountainman wrote:The Associated Press (AP) should have been booted out of the selection and champion crowning process. :P

The reason: They have a conflict of interest. :shock:

Sportswriters should write about the happenings in college football and not be given the opportunity to determine what happens in college football. That my friends is a conflict of interest. :wink:

EXACTLY!! Well Said....That's why im glad the AP is no longer a part of the BCS formula.

IMO, the BCS will be more accurate when human polls are thrown out.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:17 pm

Anonymous wrote:
mountainman wrote:The Associated Press (AP) should have been booted out of the selection and champion crowning process. :P

The reason: They have a conflict of interest. :shock:

Sportswriters should write about the happenings in college football and not be given the opportunity to determine what happens in college football. That my friends is a conflict of interest. :wink:

EXACTLY!! Well Said....That's why im glad the AP is no longer a part of the BCS formula.

IMO, the BCS will be more accurate when human polls are thrown out.

I hate it when I forget to login.. :(

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:48 pm

The fact is that the AP poll is a recognized championship poll. They may give the title to whoever they like. It is legit, just as the BCS title is legit.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:58 pm

That's true, Spence. The AP can award the "title" to whomever they wish.

The difference in this case is that the BCS vote gave LSU the outright national championship by the accepted standards that all schools participating in the BCS agreement (including USC) had agreed to.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:15 pm

I agree with what you are saying, but if the AP would have given my team the title and I thought it was deserved, I would claim it also. The AP broke ranks, not SC.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:23 pm

That's a very good point about the AP breaking ranks and not Southern Cal.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:50 pm

You are going to have to eat faster HTOWN. :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:11 pm

No you are wrong about this if you are referring to the so called split NC after the 2003 season. At that time the AP poll was a component of the BCS system. A system put into place to determine a single NC. The computers had OU as number one. You don't here about any three way split do you.

I agree that the AP should have followed through on their commitment, but they didn't. They broke ranks with the BCS by declaring a champion not in the championship game. All SC did was to except the acknowledgment. LSU or any other team would have did the same thing in the same position.

That doesn't taint LSU's championship. They played who they were told to play and they won. It was legit.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:03 am

Look at alabama, they claim 12, they could claim 17. Some that they claim, I don't understand. Some that they do not claim I don't get why not. I definitely give LSU the 03 NC, but I also recognize USC's. Like Spence said, any other school would accept an AP NC.

National Championships are hard to come by and any school would except an AP championship if it was offered. USC has the right to claim a legit championship so does LSU.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:55 am

Aww Rich. If you talk about the past and the future enough, you can survive the present a lot easier, can't ya. Look to the past, and you can relive, your what, one undisputed national championship? ONE! Is that right, you have the same number of undisputed national championships as Texas? You won it outright last year, and we beat you this year. Let's see, if I do the math right....Yup, we're the reigning national champions. Undisputed as a matter of fact. Oh, and guess what? We were the ONLY undefeated team in the country. Is that correct CFL? Were there any teams that were undefeated besides Texas this season? What about last season? Yeah, that's right, so you weren't the only undefeated last year? Sounds like there is at least a few teams that would dispute your title last year. Hmmm, no teams disputing Texas is the best team in the country. Hmmmmm, and looks like there is evidence that we are the best team of all time. Do you know what that means Rich, your best team versus our best team, we win every time. Every single time Rich. That means that every title you had, you were lucky that you didn't have to face Vince's squad. Oh, and I love you USCer's favorite argument, that UT didn't beat you. OOOOOH, that hurts so badly Rich, so you're saying that my favorite player of all time is just so ridiculously good that he single handedly beat you. HAHAHA! Ahhh, I love being a winner. Think back Rich, do you remember what it feels like? It was only a few months ago, that you were rooting for the defending National Champs. So I know you remember somewhat what it feels like. But I'll try to remind you...
When you watch ESPN, there are constantly advertisements for the National Championship Longhorn commemorative gifts when you subscribe to Sports Illustrated. When you wear your team's sweatshirt to the supermarket, people say things like "hey, I bet you're happy", when you're at a sportsbar wearing your team's hat, people congratulate you. Do you remember Rich?
I know it's different now, now when you go to the bar, you hear "man, you got cheated" or "they just got lucky". Aww the sports community version of saying, "My condolences on your loss". Just remember the good times. Like when you were up by 12 points with 6 minutes left in the national championship game. Remember, when you were taking that victory swig of beer, thinking "all we have to do is make it through these last few minutes, and we've won again. It's easy, just let LenDale White pound the ball, and Pete Carroll control the clock. Oh, wait, what's happening. Oh, we lost. The word to describe someone who loses is, LOSER. So, by definition, all those Unhappy Spoiled Children are LOSERS. They lose, that's what losers do.
Rich, you made the effort, but don't disrespect the team that embarassed you on National Television. Yes, I'm still saying embarassed, because I know that feeling you get in your gut when you hear about that game. How bad do you have to choke to blow TWELVE POINTS in the final minutes of the game. Riche, I hope you feel like I'm disrespecting you, because I am.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:15 pm

I didn't think the officiating in the Rose Bowl was that bad. The only bad (no call) decision was when V Youngs knee was down when he lateraled the ball that went for a touchdown. The replay wasn't working right so they couldn't review it or they would have.

I can go back over every game Ohio State has lost in the last 3 years and give examples of key penalties, that if they went in favor of Ohio State, we would have possibly won the game. Problem with that is I can also go back on every close game we won and find key penalties, that if they would have went against Ohio State, we would have lost. Mistakes in officiating happen. You have to overcome them and if you don't you lose. USC made enough mistakes in that game that blaming the officials really is trying to shift the blame. Cut out the mistakes and the officials mistakes wouldn't matter.

Return to “General Discussion”