Another Craw in Donovan's Jib

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Another Craw in Donovan's Jib

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:07 am

As I type up the Bowl Predictions thread, I notice something a bit unusual.

If including the National Title Game on January 8th; Bowl Season spans over 4 weeks --- The first 5 game are on Saturday, December 16th.

Boise State is ranked #25, and are paired with unranked Oregon, to play on the opening day --- No other team ranked in the top 25 will be playing until Thursday, December 28; 3 days Post-Christmas and 12 days [nearly 2 full weeks] after the incipient games.

Even more so to that point, from the 28th and onward, when the rest of the ranked teams play; there will be 4 match ups where neither team participating is ranked --- the most outstanding of these games being, the Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl on Friday, December 29th featuring 6-6 Utah State vs 6-6 New Mexico State.

And of course, there is the Outback Bowl on January 1rst, between unranked 8-4 Michigan & unranked 8-4 South Carolina --- mind you, the Outback Bowl is an annual Big Ten vs SEC tie-in game. Nevertheless, it is still a January 1rst game, with 2 teams that are not ranked.

---

Maybe they can bolster their ratings for this game by having LeGarrette Blount & Byron Hout stand @ midfield for the coin flip ... I bet we could get another punch if Boise wins the toss.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Another Craw in Donovan's Jib

Postby donovan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:54 am

Well to be fair, once the Boys of Bristol have raped college football by bowlnapping the top six contests and taken the money, which our board leader doesn't think they followed the money, :roll: , the other games are left up to the bowls. Outside of Idaho and Oregon, nobody cares about this matchup, but you are correct...they will show the Blount punch 3,459 times. Las Vegas will be well attended because the flights are cheap and once excuse to go to Vegas is as good as another. I guess one plus is recruiting can go full bore and not having to worry about preparing for a later game.

The team that really got shafted this year was UCF. All they got out of a perfect season was losing their coach. This season has been more about coaches, administrators, disasters, and polls, than football. On a side note, I hope Georgia and Coach Derek beat Alabama in the final game.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:38 pm

ESPN is on the verge of going down. Fox sports will own college football before long. ESPN has no money and Disney doesn't appear to care much for bailing them out again and again. Based on last years numbers setting up Alabama - Georgia doesn't make much sense. Alabama-Oklahoma isn't good either ratings wise. Clemson - Georgia or Oklahoma would sell ok, but they had that anyway. USC or Ohio State either one would have had more appeal ratings-wise than Alabama on either end. They are trying to sell the Bama against the world thing, but the world just doesn't seem to care enough to really hate Alabama. Hate does bring in ratings numbers.

If Alabama makes it into the final game, then I guess the committee would have been right anyway. I think Clemson Georgia right now, but I am still thinking about it.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:56 pm

Re Boise....It is the Conference that signed a contract with the Vegas Bowl...

The MWC has the Vegas Bowl via contract ..their contract has the MWC Champ face the PAC 12's #5 or #6 team....

History for the terminally bored:

From 2001 until 2005, the second place team in the Mountain West was chosen to face the Pac-12. Beginning in 2006, after its contract with the Liberty Bowl expired, the Mountain West agreed to send its champion to the Las Vegas Bowl to face the Pac-12's 5th or 6th place team. From 2006 until 2013, the Mountain West would send a secondary team if the champion qualified for the Bowl Championship Series or, as per the rules of the Hawai'i Bowl, was Hawai'i. The 2016 game would have pitted the Pac-12's #6 team against the winner of the Mountain West Conference Football Championship Game, provided that the winner of the game does not automatically qualify for one of the College Football Playoff's six bowls as the highest-ranking member of the "Group of Five" (champions of the Mountain West, Sun Belt, American, or Mid-American Conferences, as well as the Conference USA champion comprise this group). However, since the Pac-12 only had six bowl eligible teams and two of them qualified for New Years Six bowls, the bowl elected to invite Houston Cougars of the American Athletic Conference instead of a Pac-12 team.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:53 pm

billybud wrote:Re Boise....It is the Conference that signed a contract with the Vegas Bowl...

The MWC has the Vegas Bowl via contract ..their contract has the MWC Champ face the PAC 12's #5 or #6 team....

History for the terminally bored:

From 2001 until 2005, the second place team in the Mountain West was chosen to face the Pac-12. Beginning in 2006, after its contract with the Liberty Bowl expired, the Mountain West agreed to send its champion to the Las Vegas Bowl to face the Pac-12's 5th or 6th place team. From 2006 until 2013, the Mountain West would send a secondary team if the champion qualified for the Bowl Championship Series or, as per the rules of the Hawai'i Bowl, was Hawai'i. The 2016 game would have pitted the Pac-12's #6 team against the winner of the Mountain West Conference Football Championship Game, provided that the winner of the game does not automatically qualify for one of the College Football Playoff's six bowls as the highest-ranking member of the "Group of Five" (champions of the Mountain West, Sun Belt, American, or Mid-American Conferences, as well as the Conference USA champion comprise this group). However, since the Pac-12 only had six bowl eligible teams and two of them qualified for New Years Six bowls, the bowl elected to invite Houston Cougars of the American Athletic Conference instead of a Pac-12 team.

We need more lawyers writing this stuff...no wonder you like it. I see FSU is favored by two zillion points.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:45 pm

donovan wrote: you are correct...they will show the Blount punch 3,459 times. .

Yeah, but not #21 (I don't recall his name) ramming Jeremiah Masoli in the neck with his helmet. :roll:
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:59 pm

Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl

Whhattt??????

the name are ridiculous. I HONESTLY think they are trying to get rid of the bowls, and these asinine name are helping accomplish it. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”