Top 10

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Top 10

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:31 pm

LOL...We really are all friends,,,but we have discussions that are passionate and not redacted, as you might with a stranger.

Now, for, me..it is back to the guitar I am attempting to learn how to play at this late age.

So far..I have learned...

....to love the smell of the wood as I pull the Martin from the case.

....That Every Adult Dog Growls Barks and Eats..EADGBE standard tuning

....How to play Guy Clarke's Magnolia Wind...I, when I learn how to sing it, will sing it to my true love...it hits me as how I feel.

Ms. Billy and I go out and listen to live music three times a week...our friends jam and it seems like these mountains are full of musicians...I too, want to play with my friends on Thursday nights...and by summer, God willing, I might.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:02 pm

I don't mind the disagreement. It isn't personal to me. Just fun discussion. Bar stool talk without the beer - most of the time. I support guitar playing, but can't say the same of grits. I like taters in the morning - anytime really.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Sometimes I think we all agree on most everything and just make up stuff to make sure we are all alive, I know I do, just to be able to don my Johnathan Edwards persona. (Although the Elmer Gantry thought is very appealing.)
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:22 pm

I think we agree on 95% of things. But it’s that other 5% that makes it fun. Actually Eric and I only agree on 94% of stuff.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:03 pm

What's the purpose of a CCG is winning it means nothing?? How can someone be National Champs if they don't even win their division, much less the conference. That's what was told to me in 2007 when Ga was set to move up to #2.....

The are INTENTIONALLY putting the whole system's reputation at risk. Yes, I used the word INTENTIONALLY.

As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of the decision to put Bama in, and hope they lose first round.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:04 am

Derek wrote:What's the purpose of a CCG is winning it means nothing?? How can someone be National Champs if they don't even win their division, much less the conference. That's what was told to me in 2007 when Ga was set to move up to #2.....

The are INTENTIONALLY putting the whole system's reputation at risk. Yes, I used the word INTENTIONALLY.

As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of the decision to put Bama in, and hope they lose first round.

I said that same thing back in , last year when Ohio State didn't win their championship and still agree today. I actually think that I have less a problem with Bama getting in not winning their championship as I do them being the second team from their conference in a 4 man playoff. That said, I don't think Ohio State is better than any of the teams that made it in so I can't honestly argue it Ohio State should go in front of Alabama. Maybe USC should have got their shot. What I don't like is if the system is subjective, then why would anyone think it is Ok to put two teams from the same conference in. Now maybe those teams are two of the best in the nation, maybe they aren't, but the point is no one really knows. How many times have we all thought we knew how a game was going to turn out only to find out we were totally wrong about it. Especially games not envolving the team we follow. I understand the committees reservations about Ohio State. They match my own concerns so I'm ok with them not going. The problem, as I see it, is the committee leaving two P5 conference champs out. Say next year the SEC and ACC get left out. Even if we may think they deserve to be left out for football reasons and not political ones, that would be wrong. You can leave one out and be fairly sure you put in a good representation of the best teams. When you leave out two, it is hard to say that.

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 am

Some posters on other sites were saying that the Buckeyes didn't belong because of the big loss at Iowa. Southern Cal lost by a huge amount at Notre Dame. Granted, the Irish are better than Iowa, I guess. Howver, the Irish were spanked in their last two losses 79-28. Southern Cal did not lose again since the ND game. They did give up some points in the wins though. I say it could be a toss up: Ohio State, Southern Cal, Alabama.

Now, I really wonder if we will see future seasons play out like this one. The amount of what ifs and what abouts, and this team should blah blah blah, and the shouldn't be in because of yada yada yada.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:37 am

I want to see the 4 best teams play for it...BEST...not necessarily conference champions.

Bama, I think, has a case for being among the best four teams...

In 2011..LSU won the rhe SEC Championship by downing the Dogs 42-10...(after beating Bama 9-6)......but LSU lost in the rematch National Championship game to Bama 0-21.

I think that Bama had a pretty good case back then as well
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:51 pm

billybud wrote:I want to see the 4 best teams play for it...BEST...not necessarily conference champions.

Bama, I think, has a case for being among the best four teams...

In 2011..LSU won the rhe SEC Championship by downing the Dogs 42-10...(after beating Bama 9-6)......but LSU lost in the rematch National Championship game to Bama 0-21.

I think that Bama had a pretty good case back then as well

I think Alabama does have a case of being one of the four best teams. Actually so does Wisconsin for that matter. The only problem I have with Alabama being there is that there are two teams from the same conference in a four man playoff. Can they be two of the best four? Yes, but nothing in Alabama's resume this year tells you that. It requires a subjective leap to get there. The same is true of Wisconsin. I saw the Ohio State loss to Iowa. I can't get over the pounding they took from a team that wasn't very good. No team to be beat like that belongs in a play off - period. You could say the same with USC but Notre Dame was a decent team this year and SC wasn't Dominated like Ohio State. I don't believe have Alabama in taints the process. They have proven over the last several years to be able to play with any team. They have also proven not to be dominate over the same groups of teams. I just don't like two conferences being left out with a system in place that doesn't have a real way to pick the four best. Picking 2 teams from the same conference is safe for them. The winner will likely be either a team from one of those conferences or the defending champ. That leaves almost no chance that the committee to look wrong at the end. Then they can wait to hear people praising their decision at the end much like when they put Ohio State in the first one and not hear the monday moring QB's bemoan their pick of Ohio State last year.

Return to “General Discussion”