Play Off Top Four

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Play Off Top Four

Postby donovan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:06 am

If two SEC teams make it into the playoffs the system will be changed.

Also, if two SEC teams make it in, there is a possibility of a SEC matchup for the finals. Clemson will play number 4. If that is a case Jan 8 TV game on a Monday night will have the lowest TV ratings, somewhere around "My Mother Was A Car."
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Play Off Top Four

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:22 am

Thy are in a pickle this season. Top three has to be Clemson, Oklahoma, and Georgia. If Bama is ranked 4th, we stand the chance of an all SEC national championship game. If Ohio State comes in at number four, we stand the chance of an Ohio State-Oklahoma rematch for the national championship game. Am I right?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:49 am

Unless they take USC which would be reasonable.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:03 am

If they look at the Buckeyes bad loss to Iowa, will they look at Southern Cal's bad loss to Notre Dame. Not on same level, but just pondering.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:51 am

You know who should be the opponent, UCF.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:04 am

donovan wrote:You know who should be the opponent, UCF.

UCF is undefeated. I guess they can compete with Clemson just as well as Alabama, Ohio State, or USC will. They are at least as deserving as the other 3 in the conversation. The problem that people are going to have is that I don't believe UCF can beat any of the teams above and even if they are picked, they are going to be coached by a guy who is going to be recruiting and putting together another staff for another team so his full attention can't be on the school he is coaching. I know me thinking that UCF can't beat any of the above teams is conjecture, but the committee is thinking that same thing and like it or not they have the power. The team above that looked the best at the end of the season is USC. Having two FCS championship schools on their schedule should hurt Alabama and Iowa is a 200# weight around Ohio State's neck. I'm not sure any of those teams can beat Clemson any way.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:07 am

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:If they look at the Buckeyes bad loss to Iowa, will they look at Southern Cal's bad loss to Notre Dame. Not on same level, but just pondering.

Notre Dame is better than Iowa and also it was in October and Ohio State's loss to Iowa was in November, Alabama was the last week of the season. So USC is at least as deserving as the other two.

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:45 am

Will the committee also factor in what Notre Dame has done in the last two games out of three when playing teams with a pulse? Being outscored 79-28. Just wondering what kind of stats and numbers these members are throwing around.

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:47 am

And I would also like to see Southern Cal in it. I just don't want to see rematches.

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:55 am

They ESPN guys are going at it. They are saying to look at the wins for these teams that should be #4, not the losses. Okay.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:04 pm

If you were to pick the four best teams in the country...you would have a really good argument in Clemson, Georgia, Alabama, and Oklahoma

If the criteria is matching the four best teams rather than conference champs......

Ohio State?....hard to forget their big losses by a combined 46 points.

UCF...would be fun..but the body of work is not like Bama or the others...and there are 10 teams above them that have a 70% chance of beating them...

Southern Cal?...a good two loss team...with a decent SOS...but who cares? They play in Hawaii, Tonga, or somewhere way out west
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:08 pm

1....I would like to see USC jump Ohio State....

2....I' don't like the idea of two teams from one conference

BUT

I do think that the four best teams in the country should pair off...let the chips fall where they may.

Saying that, Bama has had a fairly weak schedule this year and could give the committee a reason to drop them out at 12-1...

I think it must be:

Clemson
Oklahoma
Georgia...

and the 4th best team, whoever that may be by whatever defensible parameters...but state the rational so that we can all see.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:13 pm

I think that we will see..

Clemson V Ohio State

Oklahoma V Georgia

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:22 pm

billybud wrote:
Southern Cal?...a good two loss team...with a decent SOS...but who cares? They play in Hawaii, Tonga, or somewhere way out west

Poi is worse than grits.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:25 pm

billybud wrote:I think that we will see..

Clemson V Ohio State

Oklahoma V Georgia

We agree, so let the games begin. I watched FSU yesterday and the emotion of FSU was amazing. I watched on some Communist Channel that hung around for the aftermath and the jubilance on the FSU sideline even made me smile.

Return to “General Discussion”