Coaching Moves

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Coaching Moves

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:09 am

With Dan Mullen slated to be the new Head Coach of florida, Mississippi State looks to fill their void with an offensive mind.

The next Head Coach at Mississippi State is OC of Penn State, Joe Moorhead.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:11 am

I was hearing Dave Doeren from NC State. Then, I think that was in the rear view very quickly.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:40 am

FSU is looking hard at Willie Taggart and Justin Fuentes...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:43 am

Okay Tennessee; when David Cutcliffe turns you down to remain at Duke, things are bad.

I don't know that they'll get this figured out by bowl week.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:07 am

I think it is too late for Jimbo at FSU..if he decides he wants to stay, he has really dug a hole for himself..

The boosters are already wanting him gone...his annual courtship by SEC teams and his dragging out the courtship while making greenmail demands have soured the fan base...

Three four star athletes just decommitted because of his uncertainty...one thing, I do not think that he will be on the sideline for Saturday's game...if he goes to A&M, as we believe...he will be shown the door quickly.

Willie Taggart and Justin Fuentes have already contacted FSU and they are both high on the target list.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:20 am

I don't get Fisher's deal. If he is doing it as a way to get a raise or stroke his ego, then eventually that will wear thin. He is in one of the best schools to recruit players in the country. He is in the best state to recruit players in. All he has to do is coach them up and he is considered great. Florida State has proved they will commit to a coach who commits to them. He is screwing up in a big way. It will come back to haunt him.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:44 am

Oregon offered Willie Taggart time and money to stay. Big Mistake. He does not have the ability to run a large program.

Oregon State hired Johnathan Smith, a Chris Petersen protege'. Not sure an unproven head coach is the way to go. Could be wrong but there is so much more to being a head coach than coaching.

If Fisher leaves FSU, that will be the last you hear of him.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:53 am

A $2-2.5 million extra a year is a mighty incentive....

And, he gets out of a messy situation with ex wife Candy (she was caught fooling around with her trainer and Jimbo divorced her).

And, what many outside of Tallahassee do not know...Jimbo must bring his son to Houston periodically for treatment of his condition..Fanconi anemia...it could lend to Ethan staying more with Jimbo. That condition eventually causes the body to cease producing bone marrow.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:55 am

And...with a $7.5 million a year, guaranteed five year contract...he can disappear...as a multi millionaire.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:06 pm

Word coming out of the FSU athletic center is that FSU does not want him coaching come Saturday...they can not fire him (huge payout), but they are working on ways to provide him an out and an easy transition to Texas A&M.

His bridge has been burned with the FSU administration and the Seminole Boosters...he won't stay even though he can't get fired...the message he got was.."We think it is time for you to move on and enhance your career..what can we do to move that on the quickest?".

For him to stay..he has too many rivers to cross.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 pm

Mr. Billybud, did you like him as a coach?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:03 pm

Yeah, I guess...it is hard to argue with his record..

But I do not like his O line Coordinator's strategy of zone blocking...a lot of stretch blocking (where you must have your man or the play blows up)....and the lack of pass protection the last two years is dismal...lucky a QB wasn't killed. And the two are West Virginian's and there is a certain loyalty.

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:12 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:.

Okay Tennessee; when David Cutcliffe turns you down to remain at Duke, things are bad.

I don't know that they'll get this figured out by bowl week.

Hadnt heard about Cutcliffe but it sounds like Doeren at NC State turned them down as well. The list of those turning the position down is becoming rather extensive. Not sure if some of these names were actually willing to listen but still make the list of names the school was interested in attracting. Next up is Sumlin, will see if that deal gets done.

donovan wrote:Oregon State hired Johnathan Smith, a Chris Petersen protege'. Not sure an unproven head coach is the way to go. Could be wrong but there is so much more to being a head coach than coaching.

Oregon State tends to be very patient with head coaches. A new coach, who happens to be a former successful QB for them, he will get time to prove himself. That might have been the best team they ever had. Recruiting in Corvallis will certainly be the test but maybe that ring from blowing out Notre Dame can be dusted off and paraded around. I did it, join me and I'll lead you to do it as well.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:18 pm

billybud wrote:Yeah, I guess...it is hard to argue with his record..

But I do not like his O line Coordinator's strategy of zone blocking...a lot of stretch blocking (where you must have your man or the play blows up)....and the lack of pass protection the last two years is dismal...lucky a QB wasn't killed. And the two are West Virginian's and there is a certain loyalty.

I don't like zone blocking either. That was the watch Jim Tressel's Oline coaches philosophy. Fisher is a good coach. I think his record is more due to Florida State's (the school) ability to draw recruits. I think his record could have been better because of both Florida and Miami being down he had the in state kids to himself that weren't leaning out of state. Imagine Bobby Bowden's record had Miami and Florida not been good. Miami is coming back with Richt. Florida will get back eventually. It may be starting with the change. I think A&M is a step down as a job from Florida State. I think Jimbo misjudged his importance to Florida State. I think he was looking for another raise or just a stroking of his ego and good for Florida State for calling him on it. He will regret this move down the road. Oklahoma is good. Texas will come back. Texas A&M is never going to be the big dog in Texas. He will enjoy a brief honeymoon period, but A&M is going to have expectations that Fisher isn't going to be able to live up to. Jimbo should have looked at what he had and counted his blessings. That green grass on the other side of the fence will get brown quickly west of Houston.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:54 am

billybud wrote:Word coming out of the FSU athletic center is that FSU does not want him coaching come Saturday...they can not fire him (huge payout), but they are working on ways to provide him an out and an easy transition to Texas A&M.

His bridge has been burned with the FSU administration and the Seminole Boosters...he won't stay even though he can't get fired...the message he got was.."We think it is time for you to move on and enhance your career..what can we do to move that on the quickest?".

For him to stay..he has too many rivers to cross.

I was hearing when he agreed to to his A&M deal, that he would stay to coach the UL-Monroe, but would not be there to coach the bowl game (assuming fsu wins).

Usually, that is an act out of obligation to the players & the school --- however, if forida state wants him gone; he should probably just move on.

billybud wrote:And...with a $7.5 million a year, guaranteed five year contract...he can disappear...as a multi millionaire.

Yep ... and Texas is a Non Income Tax state.

How much is he paying in taxes on the $5.5 million he's making a year right now..?
Well, subtract that deduction, and add $2 million to his annual net gain.

And then there is the State of Texas he will have as his recruiting base --- True, Florida is a top state for high school prospects. Texas is right there with them. He wont be competing with Miami & uf for recruits, with the flood over going to UCF & USF. He'll be competing against Texas, TCU, Texas Tech & Baylor, with the flood of going to Houston.

Texas will eventually rise again, but they are not by any means out in front of A&M with regards to competitiveness, or recruiting. He is stepping into a pretty decent situation.

So, yeah, he'll need a couple of successful years for people to praise the day he came to College Station.

But like Billybud says; $7.5 million guaranteed on a minimum 5 year contract = $37.5 million he can go away and not care if he's heard from again.

highfly24 wrote:Hadnt heard about Cutcliffe but it sounds like Doeren at NC State turned them down as well. The list of those turning the position down is becoming rather extensive. Not sure if some of these names were actually willing to listen but still make the list of names the school was interested in attracting. Next up is Sumlin, will see if that deal gets done.

Reminds me a lot of the notre dame fiasco, when they fired coach Willingham. They were so sure they had Urban Meyer, because Meyer had previously stated that notre dame would be his dream job; and had a clause in his contract with Utah, that if notre dame were to offer him their head coaching position, that he could leave Utah without taking a payment penalty.

Then florida talked to him first, and offered him $1 million more than nd.

After that, notre dame went through one coaching name after another. They talked with around ten college coaches who all turned them down, before the finally asked Mike Golic [yes the Mike & Mike in the morning guy, who was a former nd player] if he had any pull, and could suggest someone. He said he would see what he could do, and arranged for Charlie Weis to sit down with the nd interview committee.

Tennessee seems very reminiscent of that right now.

Spence wrote:Florida will get back eventually. It may be starting with the change.

Blasphemy! ... shame on you Spence, you are on a timeout.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”