Predictions Week Twelve --- Week Eleven Winner

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Predictions Week Twelve --- Week Eleven Winner

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:27 pm

Week Twelve Picks are ready, here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11467

I've climbed back atop the ladder, making 16 of 20 correct predictions, in a wild week Eleven.

The Overall Scores Currently Stand:

Spence = 170
Cane = 158
Highfly = 154
Derek = 154
Donovan = 137

~ Old Ducker = 107 ~ [participation from weeks three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten & eleven]
~ Vileborg = 90 ~ [participation from weeks one, two, three, four, five & eight]
~ Dossenator = 30 ~ [participation from week one]

Nothing new on the Mountain Peak, as Spence has built his castle keep on the summit, while I [for the time] have become the proprietor of 2cnd place. Derek & Highfly are locked together in 3rd --- Donovan, this is it ... week Twelve is where you close the gap.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Predictions Week Twelve --- Week Eleven Winner

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:01 am

Looks like Spence is pulling away....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Old Ducker
All-American
All-American

Postby Old Ducker » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:44 pm

16 out of 20 is outstanding.
The artist formerly known as Fluiddude

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Old Ducker wrote:16 out of 20 is outstanding.

We could retire with 16 out of 20.

It is amazing how Oregon, both teams, has just been in topsy-turvy the last few years. I am not sure they have it nailed down yet. Large programs like the U of O takes so much more than a football coach...not sure they are there yet.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Old Ducker wrote:16 out of 20 is outstanding.

Looking back at the games I got incorrect, I ask myself if I would have went the other way.

Cane from the Bend wrote:[from the Week Eleven Picks Thread]

(2.) #21 Iowa State {Jack Trice Stadium ought to be jumpin' for this one}
(3.) Boston College
(5.) Nebraska
(15.) Utah

I will say this ... Donovan, you are oh so right about Spence and his sometimes overcritical opinion of his own team ... he and I had a quick pm message about our games this week; after reading Spence's pm, I almost edited my predictions pick from the Buckeyes to Michigan State ... Spence became one of the talking heads that confused me just before gameday :lol:

As for the above listed games:

2.) After I chose Iowa State, I sat there for several minutes thinking; "Is this because I want to believe they are going to win?" --- well, the answer is, yes. I was going to take Oklahoma State, because I thought their offense was going to be too relentless for Iowa State. Then I convinced myself, Iowa State played against Oklahoma and beat them. The Cyclones would be playing at home, and they actually have a decent defense ... which is something Oklahoma State hasn't really played against, yet, this season --- Looking back at my rationale`, I realize I was trying to convince myself that Iowa St would win, so I probably should have just gone with that same feeling that had me choose Auburn, even though I wanted Georgia to win.

3.) I don't know if it was my old Big East loyalties, or if because I thought NC State had show enough weakness that BC could exploit --- Boston College has made vast improvements in just the last year alone. This season, they started slow, but turned a page after the loss to notre dame, which made the Eagles look pretty good. I thought they had momentum going into this game, and assumed NC State was starting a late season decline ... rather than seeing their close loss against Clemson as a competitive contest, I took it as a team playing their best game vs the best team on their schedule --- that, and I kind of bought into the BC hype.

5.) I wanted to believe, that at some point, Nebraska would have stepped up and played a game with pride ... I was hoping this would have been that game --- don't get me wrong, I like Minnesota. I actually like to see the Gofers win. I just didn't want to believe the Huskers were so miserable, they, for the most part, had simply given up on the season ... and themselves --- I didn't even look at team statistics, or analyze this game with an objective point of view ... if I had, I would have gone the other way.

15.) Okay, I'll admit ... I want the Utes to win. It has nothing to do with my dislike for Leach, or Washington State. It had more to do with my belief that defense matters. Utah winning wold have shown you can't win merely with offense alone [mind you, that also had something to do with my decision to not pick Oklahoma State above], not that Leach would have gotten it, had that been the case --- I actually thought Washington State would win this game, but didn't choose them, because I didn't want to jinx Utah ... Oh well. lesson learned, I guess.

I suppose, if I had removed my personal subjectivity from my predictions, only the Boston College choice would have stayed the same.

Now, if I can find a way to remove that personal slant from my picks going forward.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:31 pm

I honestly didn't think Ohio State would beat Michigan State. Michigan State is the type of team Ohio State has had trouble with this year - actually for several years. Teams with a solid QB (doesn't have to be great, just be able to read defenses and take advantage at an over aggressive defensive front), decent running game and/or short controlled passing game. Teams that have a big vertical passing game Ohio State typically does pretty well against because they defense usually doesn't allow time for the long pass plays to develop. Ohio State's problem is they are really young. Usually new starters have time in, but Ohio State has lost too many players to the NFL that they didn't think would jump as early. I thought Michigan State was the type of team would take advantage of all that. What I didn't consider was that Michigan State is very young too and subject to the same fails that plague Ohio State. That is why I don't bet on games.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:32 am

If it weren't for personal slants, I wouldn't be hanging on to the bottom rung.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:22 am

Except for always picking Ohio State, I pick who I think will win. I don't actually go back and check my picks and find myself rooting for teams I pick against all the time.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:35 pm

donovan wrote:If it weren't for personal slants, I wouldn't be hanging on to the bottom rung.

:lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”