Penn State Ahead Of Ohio State???

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Penn State Ahead Of Ohio State???

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:06 pm

I know that the Buckeyes defeated the Nittany Lions. I am looking at some polls on the web, and some that look at SOS and other factors have Penn State ahead of the Buckeyes. I know they both have one loss. Looking at the head-to-head, it makes sense for Buckeyes to be ahead of Penn State... I guess. Colley, Massey, etc. have Penn State ahead of Buckeyes still. So, what is your opinion on this? Just plain stupid or any merit?

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Penn State Ahead Of Ohio State???

Postby donovan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:01 am

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:I know that the Buckeyes defeated the Nittany Lions. I am looking at some polls on the web, and some that look at SOS and other factors have Penn State ahead of the Buckeyes. I know they both have one loss. Looking at the head-to-head, it makes sense for Buckeyes to be ahead of Penn State... I guess. Colley, Massey, etc. have Penn State ahead of Buckeyes still. So, what is your opinion on this? Just plain stupid or any merit?

It would be stupid if there was not an ulterior motive. If there is a stupidity to it, it is with the fans for sucking into a corrupt system. For a long time, I thought it was people just trying to make idle conversation but I am no longer of that thought. It has to do with control. It is rampant in this nation, someone else controlling others. Starts from bottom up, but from the top down it is people in a position of power claiming moral superiority to those they govern. Pick an organization and you will see. It happens because from the bottom up individuals abdicate their responsibilities as individuals. Pay some money, taxes, etc and put someone else in charge. I digress but with regards that is what you have in College Football. Manipulation of the system for whatever motivation those in charge happen. It will almost always be Power and Money, in some order.

In sports, there may be a seeding or handicap argument, but that should be taken care of by divisions.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:26 am

Colley and Massey are computers.....Might as well throw Jeff Sagarin's computer in there as well...he has Ohio State ahead of Penn State...

Donovan thinks that the computers are conspiring to ruin and corrupt humans and their silly football races....

Sure PSU won by one point in an OT game against the Bucks (pretty much equal, either team could have won)....but we will see this weekend...PSU got by Iowa by just 2 points and Ohio State plays the Hawkeyes Saturday.

Donovan and his mental storms of conspiracy and corruption should drive him to pick Iowa to win...Me? I'll go with Ohio State.

Vegas? They'll give an Iowa better 15 points.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:55 am

From the Catacombs of the Illuminati.

Conspiracies have never worked in the history of mankind because of the inability of two or more humans to keep a secret. Conspiracies will never work if secrets cannot be kept!

Then, came computers. Computers can keep secrets. They allow humans to anonymously be wrapped in the cloak of clandestine darkness to surreptitiously manipulate many things. Banking, Government, my grandchildren's movements (and you thought it was an innocent text message), Mrs. Donovan's Macy's account and not last nor least, NCAA football schedules. The minions of college football, sometimes euphemistically called athletic directors and coaches, scurry around to make matchups that conform to the edict of the Grand Poobah, the Everlasting Stalinist Perpetuating Nihilism.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:53 am

People have Ohio State ahead of Oklahoma, who beat the crap out of Ohio State on the field. Both have 1 loss. Why is that right? There is no true formula because you can't make a good comparison. It appears you can't make a good comparison even if they have played. No they say "but if they played today..." How do we know that Oklahoma wouldn't beat Penn State? I have some insight on Penn State. Having watched it on TV, I don't get the whole picture, but they aren't that good. Barkley gets a lot of yards, but he goes long periods where he doesn't do much. He doesn't have good vision. His physical talents - and he is gifted - are making up for it right now. In the NFL where everyone is physically gifted, lack of being able to recognize the situation will hurt him. Gaps close a lot faster in the NFL. McSorley is another guy who isn't as much a qb as a guy with a strong arm and really good, tall receivers. He likes the deep ball because if you give those receivers enough time, they will get separation. The tighter throws that guys like Tom Brady make a living on, McSorley has problems completing. L Penn State's offensive line had match up problems when Ohio State put four DE's into the game an just let them go. Penn State's defensive line either isn't very good, people say they are, or Ohio State has gotten better up front. If Ohio State's offensive line has gotten better maybe they could be Oklahoma now. Even as bad as their special teams happen to be. Maybe, but they don't play now. They played early in the season and Oklahoma won. That is all we know the rest is speculation by people who don't know any more about dissecting football games than we fans do.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:12 pm

billybud wrote:Colley and Massey are computers.....Might as well throw Jeff Sagarin's computer in there as well...he has Ohio State ahead of Penn State...

Donovan thinks that the computers are conspiring to ruin and corrupt humans and their silly football races....

Sure PSU won by one point in an OT game against the Bucks (pretty much equal, either team could have won)....but we will see this weekend...PSU got by Iowa by just 2 points and Ohio State plays the Hawkeyes Saturday.

Donovan and his mental storms of conspiracy and corruption should drive him to pick Iowa to win...Me? I'll go with Ohio State.

Vegas? They'll give an Iowa better 15 points.

It wasn't a over time game. Other that that, we agree. Iowa has a tough defense and a good running game. I don't think the computers know much about it either, though. Ohio State - whose special teams especially kickers, punt and kick off coverage are awful. Not bad, maybe the worst in college football - spotted Penn State 7 points to begin the game on a Barkley run back. If it hadn't happened before, I would give Barkley more credit, but it has happened. It has also almost happened two of three more times. They are bad. Then a fumble on Ohio State's side of the field resulted in Ohio State being down 14 with 3 minute run off the clock to open the game. Penn State scored on two other Ohio State kick off and punt coverage issues. Ohio State dominated Penn State on both offensive and defensive sides. Special teams Penn State killed Ohio State. That accounted for the close game. Ohio State only went ahead for the first and final time with 1:48 to go in the game. Maybe the ugliest game I have ever seen on a chilly and relatively dry day. Temp was 42 on the field. 40-46 is what B10 guys call perfect football weather so that the weather was not an issue. Neither team is all that good IMO. I really like the teams from Georgia and Notre Dame this year. Bama I have to throw in because they haven't lost and they are Bama. Past that, i'm not much feeling it for anyone. Maybe Oklahoma State. I will let you know on that one soon.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:19 pm

I care less and less about polls year after year. I live in a country full of idiots so this and many other things are required of me to keep my sanity (whatever dosage I once had of it at least.) I love the game and I watch for the moments in the game...today. Rankings are nice and your team being ranked and ranked high is preferable to not...mostly, for me, the only real benefit is recruiting. Alabama tears up the rankings and they are up to about 86th on the teams I like to watch list.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:16 am

WoVeU wrote: Alabama tears up the rankings and they are up to about 86th on the teams I like to watch list.

Amen and Amen....right after a CHIPS rerun.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:50 am

Ahhh...Alabama...land of my birth and my mother's family (going back to the days of the indian massacre at Ft. Mims).

Where college football is the state religion...home of the Saban Machine. Shrine of the Bear.

Yes, my birth certificate was stamped "Bama Guy"....unfortunately, my uncle, cousins, brother, and sister's were stamped "Auburn Guy".

I was converted at FSU but still slip back into my pagan ways and find myself sometimes burning the Alabama incense on fall saturdays.

True story...after FSU beat Auburn in the National Championship game, my brother "unfriended" me on Facebook and didn't talk to me for 13 months. We take out game seriously and with great passion...do us Alabama boys.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:14 am

Mr. Billybud, you remind me what is wrong with me. I grew up thinking the Pacific University Boxers were the greatest football team in the land, though they seldom won. Maybe it was because of Paul Stagg, son of Alanzo Stagg, knew my name as a kid in the 50's and always said hello when I watched practices. My parents owned a laundry that did Pacific University's football gear and my dad and I would often go and watch practice and then pick up the uniforms. Good memories for me, too.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:09 pm

I have been a Buckeye since I popped out. I will die one.

Return to “General Discussion”