End Of Season Scenarios...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

End Of Season Scenarios...

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:13 am

I know it is early, but what if:
Clemson keeps on winning as does Bama and Georgia. I don't see a lot of movement in polls. Let's say Bama beats Georgia in a nail biter SEC title game 17-14. Will Dawgs still make it into playoff? Or if Dawgs beat Bama, will Tide still make it? Now, any chance a Big XII team makes it? Do you take Oklahoma or Ohio State at end of season? Buckeyes are hot now, but Sooners did beat them in Columbus.

Any ideas?

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: End Of Season Scenarios...

Postby Derek » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:01 pm

I don't see the public accepting another 2 teams from the same league in the playoffs if that team is Georgia. Regardless of how well the loser of the SEC-CG did in the regular season.

The playoffs are designed to produce viewership, not crown the best team IMO. I am cynical about it as you can tell.

The polls have never been kind to Georgia, because there is not a lot of national interest in them. If push comes to shove and they are in the same boat as they were in at the end of the 2007 season, they WILL get left out......but I still say that if Bama/LSU/Ohio State/Michigan/Oklahoma/NotreDame were in the same scenarios they would be in.

Extremely cynical.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:31 am

Derek wrote:I don't see the public accepting another 2 teams from the same league in the playoffs if that team is Georgia. Regardless of how well the loser of the SEC-CG did in the regular season.

The playoffs are designed to produce viewership, not crown the best team IMO. I am cynical about it as you can tell.

The polls have never been kind to Georgia, because there is not a lot of national interest in them. If push comes to shove and they are in the same boat as they were in at the end of the 2007 season, they WILL get left out......but I still say that if Bama/LSU/Ohio State/Michigan/Oklahoma/NotreDame were in the same scenarios they would be in.

Extremely cynical.

Spot on.....now how would you like to live on the West Coast. The whole left side of the NCAA States of America was eliminated on just one Saturday.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:39 am

I don’t see Ohio State making it this year. They got spanked by Oklahoma early on and really have t played anyone since. It probably won’t be any issue as the month of November usually sorts things out in the B10 and this year should be no exception.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:43 am

Spence wrote:I don’t see Ohio State making it this year. They got spanked by Oklahoma early on and really have t played anyone since. It probably won’t be any issue as the month of November usually sorts things out in the B10 and this year should be no exception.

I wished we still had those posting dollars....I would put all mine on the line and you would be broke.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:43 am

I think it likely that Oklahoma and Ohio State have to win out for the Buckeyes to get in. Or Oklahoma lose another 2 games and be wel removed from the discussion while Ohio State takes care of the remaining Big 10 schedule rather impressively.

Bama -v- Georgia...Bama is the only team that could lose their conference championship game and have shot to get in. They would have to lose a very close one to a #2 ranked Georgia team. Auburn losing yesterday hurts this a bit, it might also take a "call or 2" or a "fluke play" that "helped" the Dawgs get the win.

Georgia only has 1 really tough conference game this year, Auburn. But they took care of ND and have tended to business every weekend. This is looking like a winning hand in a year of mayhem.

If TCU wins out they will get in. If Oklahoma wins out thye will have a shot, if the Buckeyes win out it will really help their case. Both look to be tall orders. I don't know if I would bet on Ohio State losing but I'd lay a $2K that Oklahoma gets beat again.

In unrelated news, Oklahoma beat the Buckeyes in their house 31-16 and are ranked 3 spots behind them.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:16 pm

donovan wrote:
Spence wrote:I don’t see Ohio State making it this year. They got spanked by Oklahoma early on and really have t played anyone since. It probably won’t be any issue as the month of November usually sorts things out in the B10 and this year should be no exception.

I wished we still had those posting dollars....I would put all mine on the line and you would be broke.

I’m not saying they won’t make it. The people who vote are mostly idiots on this subject. I have yet to see a reason to be impressed with the Buckeye OT’s. They have played ok against talent mismatches since Oklahoma, but Prince still allows his guy through most of the time. Blocking down field is still suspect. Honestly , as good as the passing game and receivers have looked in the last few weeks, when coverage starts getting tighter starting next week, we will see how much better the offense really is. I’m guessing that Ohio State starts coming back to earth in a hurry in two weeks.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:01 am

For the Buckeyes, it will all depend on their schedule, and if they win out ... if they do win out, they have a chance to beat an undefeated Penn State, enter the Big 10 Championship game and beat a potentially undefeated Wisconsin.

The schedule for Ohio State is there for them to take advantage of.

Beating Penn State, though.

But the Nittany Lions have a tough next 3 games, Michigan - Ohio State - Michigan State ...

That's some stretch.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:42 pm

donovan wrote:
Derek wrote:I don't see the public accepting another 2 teams from the same league in the playoffs if that team is Georgia. Regardless of how well the loser of the SEC-CG did in the regular season.

Extremely cynical.

Spot on.....now how would you like to live on the West Coast. The whole left side of the NCAA States of America was eliminated on just one Saturday.

I agree with that. Paul Finebaum has made the decree. So let be spoken on ESPN, so let it be done.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21029401
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:07 pm

Derek wrote:
donovan wrote:

Extremely cynical.

I agree with that. Paul Finebaum has made the decree. So let be spoken on ESPN, so let it be done.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21029401

As someone who has seen every Ohio State game, they won’t win out and if they do then the B10 isn’t good enough to have a team in.

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:14 am

Okay. Maybe not two teams from same conference, but how about rematches? If Buckeyes win out, Sooners win out, could there be a playoff rematch from earlier this season? Same goes for Notre Dame and Georgia if they both win out. So, if at season's end, we have Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Notre Dame. Possible or not?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:56 am

I dont like rematches. Too many teams to replay them for a championship. It isn’t fair to the team who won. Sorry if you lose you should have to pay for that loss.

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:03 am

I don't like them either. Just saying. If it pans out that way, are we looking at playoff with rematches?

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:14 am

They will look for any matchup they can by the hair on the chinny chin chin justify where there are big bucks involved. Follow the money. I understand my cynicism...doesn't make it incorrect.

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:13 pm

donovan wrote:They will look for any matchup they can by the hair on the chinny chin chin justify where there are big bucks involved. Follow the money. I understand my cynicism...doesn't make it incorrect.

No argument from me on this one. Whether its the basketball selection or football playoff its always the same. The better the "rest of the schools" do the more they tighten the circle to keep them out.

Return to “General Discussion”