Boom

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Boom

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:54 pm

billybud wrote:The big money is in basketball....

It is basketball players who sign shoe contracts...not really football guys.

And, one or two elite basketball players can make a championship run team...not so in football where you need a village.

I think you are correct. Football may have the most money, but as much as I wished conspiracies work, they don't and it would be nearly impossible to do what was done in basketball with a whole team. No doubt they have some football chicanery, but it probably is different.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:47 am

Booster involvement can be a problem in football...as in Shapiro in Miami and others at Mississippi and Alabama.

But, the combination of major corporation payola and collusion with coaches seems to me to be uniquely a basketball phenomenon. A few elite athletes can be spotted early, can make a team nationally competitive, and can be counted on to be signing a big buck NBA contract in the near future with attendant $$$ for their agent.

Sure, there is big advertising money surrounding football...but it is really diluted per player...and is generally not personalized....the next Lebron James coming out of college may have tremendous potential as someone who can sell athletic shoes with his name on it.....not so much Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield.

Gatorade does put a lot of money into advertising...but it is really not personalized. They do like to show a lot of sweaty body type generic athletes. Yes...some folks will sell their fame as athletes...like the rush of Stephan Curry endorsements after the NBA finals...but I do think that basketball is fairly unique.

And, sometimes a guy just seems to connect to the public and makes millions on ads...like Shaq...or even Peyton Manning and Brett Farve. But that is fair game after you have a pro career.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:42 pm

I agree. It is easier to pay basketball players and keep it on the down low because there aren't as many players to make it work. Football has money around it, but nothing like the NCAA controlled basketball. Funny how the sport the NCAA makes the most money from is the most dirty. I'm hoping this reaches into the depths of the NCAA offices.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”